The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

This clip contains scenes from the movie "Skyfighters" ("Les Chevaliers du Ciel"). I recommend you all to watch it, the Mirage scenes are truly stunning. There's little to no trickery involved as well, most of it was filmed with real pilots, planes and onboard cameras.
The story is meh, but the quality of the shots and the music easily makes up for that.

Any good quality videos of the A-10 in action? Particularly the Gatling gun. Nice high res pictures also appreciated. Got a thing for it recently.

?

Edit: Just saw LP avatar's, as I assumed, not looking good :|

MWF PM'd him to say hi and a relative replied and broke the news.

Hence, the "Missing Man" formation picture I posted.

See The Forums forum, "Where In the World Is?" Thread for more.

:sad:

EDIT: I guess everybody knows now,
there else a new Thread for the LT in the Forums forum.

Last edited:
Yeah saw that. Very sad, had a few good conversations with him in the past. Best wishes to his family and his joyous soul

P-47

P-47_does_night_gunnery.jpg

Any good quality videos of the A-10 in action? Particularly the Gatling gun. Nice high res pictures also appreciated. Got a thing for it recently.

Short video, there are probably better ones out there though.

[video=youtube;i-4KAW_FE4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-4KAW_FE4g&feature=related[/video]

A-10_Thunderbolt_II_Gun_Run.jpeg

A-10%20Thunderbolt%20%28firing%20cannon%29.jpg

How the hell did I miss this:

Flightglobal said:
Southwest ready to discuss re-engined 737 with Boeing
By Dan Webb

Southwest Airlines management said today that it is "anxious to sit down with Boeing" to better understand the airframer's recently-announced re-engined 737.

Southwest chief Gary Kelly said, "If Boeing can meet our needs, then I think there is a scenario where we feel like we're done and we can make a commitment and be eligible to launch this re-engined product with Boeing", possibly along with other carriers.

Southwest was the launch customer for the Boeing 737-700, which comprises the largest part of the airline's fleet. The Dallas-based carrier was also a launch customer for the 737-300 and -500 variants.

getAsset.aspx

Boeing announced the new re-engined 737 last month along with a pledge from American Airlines for 100 of the new type.

"I've been a proponent of the re-engining solution for years now, and I think my only disappointment is we didn't come to this re-engining decision sooner, where we could get a re-engined solution sooner," said Kelly.

Kelly added, "I'm just skeptical of the timetable to bring forward an all-new aircraft, clearly that's where Boeing ended up, they were concerned about the viability of that kind of a plan."

Southwest has over 140 737s on firm order with Boeing through 2017, including 737s on order with AirTran Airways, which was recently acquired by Southwest.

Kelly also said that "despite some of the more humorous media reports", Southwest's focus "continues to be with the Boeing Company".

Southwest was also aware of "Boeing's decision before that was made public, which we appreciate", said Kelly.

Kelly's statement differs from remarks made by WestJet chief executive officer Gregg Saretsky, who said that WestJet was "interested and surprised by the announcement that Boeing made, because we thought they were headed in a different direction".

Panamanian Copa Airlines has also expressed an interest in the re-engined 737.

So what specs are Boeing proposing for the re-engined 737?

Last edited:
Now? Nothing. Boeing continues to slip behind Airbus, giving away orders from DOMESTIC carries to EADS and generally taking their time with everything they do. Yeah, I'm a bit bitter, but when I see AMERICAN carries going overseas to meet their aerospace needs because the domestic supplier can't offer them something better, its a bit disheartening. My guess is it'll put up similar improvement numbers over the A320neo (15% better fuel burn, etc etc), but who knows what engine they'll go with. I know CFM has been developing something lately, and since that's what's in the current gen of 737s, my guess is that's what'll go in there...

Thanks to Heathrow for welcoming me to England with my first in-person sighting of an A380 and Concorde. :cool:

Now? Nothing. Boeing continues to slip behind Airbus, giving away orders from DOMESTIC carries to EADS and generally taking their time with everything they do. Yeah, I'm a bit bitter, but when I see AMERICAN carries going overseas to meet their aerospace needs because the domestic supplier can't offer them something better, its a bit disheartening.
See, that's the problem: Business has gone global decades ago. We (as workers/small business owners/voters/lawmakers) have to adapt, leaving patriotic feeling behind us or we'll continue to be eaten.

I finally saw an AN-124 yesterday. I heard one fly over a couple weeks ago, but hadn't managed to actually see one until now. Big plane. Many wheels. A lot quieter than I expected though. I don't know, I expected it to be loud like a C17 or something, nowhere near, but then again the military gets exempted from noise restrictions - those unmuffled NATO 707-320s are loud.

I've seen one before, as well as an IL-76, and was surprised too. I expected those Soviet era transports to be stupid loud, but I guess I'm just used to the C-17s that regularly fly over my house in Riverside. A C-17 under a full power climb is something to be reckoned with.

If I may join the conversation on favourite airplane noises, mine is the C-5 - with the old non-working engines, obviously. Nothing interrupts a phone conversation like one of those. :mrgreen:

I just accidentally found a canadian forces page with a bunch of cool F5 photos. RIP sleek jets.

*dump*
cockpit2.jpg

f5s2.jpg

f5s.jpg

f54.jpg

f5blns.jpg

f5s_saab.jpg

f5rckts.jpg

lanc_and_f5.jpg

f53pack.jpg

f-5a32.jpg

cf5_and_cf18.jpg