The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

My girlfriend got to fly in a Honda Jet last week. Not that awesome, but...I'll never fly in a private jet. :p

A picture of me (on the blue and white FZR) during the warm-up lap just before the race, crossing paths with a CL415 (would you believe I never saw it, so focused I was on the guys in front of me, even during a warm-up lap):

DSC_3706.JPG

"Protezione Civile" = "Civil Protection"

Civil protection being the cops from HL2.

Thanks for the explanation, I never played HL2, so didn't make the connection.

[YOUTUBE]mJc6TX7Reoo[/YOUTUBE] If this will ever be built outside X-Plane, it will be one of the coolest looking airplanes.

So earlier today I saw a big grey jet fly over. It had 2 wing mounted engines (ie. 1 on each wing). WTF was it? It had shiny grey paint. There's no airlines that come through here with grey planes, and most grey military planes are matte.

The only plane I can find that fits the bill would have to be a Airbus A310 MRTT, probably in town doing some refuelling training with the Hercs.

I really need to have a camera with me when I'm in the backyard.

edit: lolbig picture
cc-150-polaris.jpg

Last edited:
So earlier today I saw a big grey jet fly over. It had 2 wing mounted engines (ie. 1 on each wing). WTF was it? It had shiny grey paint. There's no airlines that come through here with grey planes, and most grey military planes are matte.

The only plane I can find that fits the bill would have to be a Airbus A310 MRTT, probably in town doing some refuelling training with the Hercs.

I really need to have a camera with me when I'm in the backyard.

Either that or a BBJ. There are a few BBJs with dark colored paintjobs.

Last edited:
Let's see... BBJ based off of 737, 747-8, 777, 787. It was bigger than a 737 and didn't have winglets, not the right shape for a 777, obviously wasn't a 787 or 747.

Also, right after what I guess was a CC-150 (aka. the canadian forces name for the A310 MRTT) I saw a local tanker Herc fly over, and both planes banked off to the east. Also there was a couple CF-18s buzzing around, so that means they were more likely than not doing some air-to-air refuelling training/practice. Cross another one off the list, now I've seen all the CAF aircraft other than a globemaster or any of the maritime aircraft fly over my house.

whoah, this looks dangerous
chinook1LG.jpg

500x_next-gen-airbus_01.jpg

500x_AirbusA30Xconcept22009marketoutlook.jpg

500x_AirbusA30Xconcept12009marketoutlook.jpg

500x_AirbusA30Xconcept32009marketoutlook.jpg

And it seems to be missing a cockpit.

The cockpit? What is it?

In other plane-related happenings, I had the everliving shit scared out of me today. I was driving along enjoying being off in my own little world. Then there was this deafening roar. About a second after I heard that something stole my attention out of the corner of my eye. It was a freaking F-15 that had to have been no more than 50 feet above me. I could have hit it with a rock. I nearly collided with an oncoming van because I was so distracted. It was AWESOME!!!!

0212668.jpg

0001821.jpg

Last edited:
:shock: Are they finally doing something with propfans?

It wouldn't surprise me to see these "ultra-high bypass turbofans" being developed furthur.

It wouldn't surprise me to see these "ultra-high bypass turbofans" being developed furthur.

I don't see open-rotor propfans making too much headway in their current form. There are two major issues with them:

1) Noise - the open-rotor engines like those above are tremendously noisy; while the engine is more fuel efficient, it almost certainly won't be allowed into major airports with noise restrictions - specifically, most of Europe. The noise also produces another problem, especially in the tail-mounted configuration; that of sonic fatigue. Put literally, the sound energy coming off the blades and hitting the fuselage and other structures causes them to flex minutely, greatly reducing their safe lives.

2) Blade containment - those blades are rotating unbelievably fast, and due to their size, contain far more kinetic energy than even the largest turbofan blades do. However, unlike a proper turbofan, there is nothing to contain a separated blade - it could very easily cut through vital aircraft systems or even into the cabin.

There is a solution to these problems, however, and it comes to us from the Russians. They've come up with a closed-rotor propfan engine, the Kuznestov NK-93:

http://img200.imageshack.**/img200/8585/day03056.jpg

The duct around the blades not only increases efficiency even further, it reduces noise levels and provides a measure of protection against blade separation.