The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Not too sure whether these have been posted, but it can't hurt.

Heinkel_162_Volksjager.jpg

Heinkel 162 Volksjager

This was such a stupid idea (Shoving unexperienced pilots into fast jets) it was awesome. Imagine if the later variants with ramjets and forward swept wings were mass produced............

Also:

hs132.jpg

hs132-2.jpg

300px-Henschel_Hs_132_wiki.jpg

Henschel HS-132

Last edited:
^That video embraces every single reason why I study what I study.

In fact, whenever someone asks me why I put myself through the torture I go through, I'm going to show them that video. Is it downlodable?

These are ripe for an "America, Fuck yeah!" poster

b2%20f18_3.jpg

060618-N-8591H-383-h.jpg

Last edited:
Is it downlodable?

Go to Youtube video, copy/paste this to address bar, hit enter. :cool:

Code:
javascript:if(document.location.href.match(/http:\/\/[a-zA-Z\.]*youtube\.com\/watch/)){document.location.href='http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt='+(isHDAvailable?'22':'18')+'&video_id='+swfArgs['video_id']+'&t='+swfArgs['t']}

In fact, whenever someone asks me why I put myself through the torture I go through, I'm going to show them that video. Is it downlodable?

The scenes are from the french movie "Sky Fighters".

The scenes are from the french movie "Sky Fighters".

Oh my god, I actually watched that film in the cinema during a sneak peak screening. :eek:
It was completely terrible and woefully cheesy, or at least that's how I remember it. But then again, I don't recall the flight scenes looking that good... :think:

The flight scenes were the only good thing in the movie. They even closed off airspace over Paris to film the scenes there.

I still remember that whenever anything computer-y appeared the camera went out of its way to deliberately show the Apple logo on it... and that one of the pilots was (at least in the German version) called iPod... because he always listened to his iPod...
Seriously? I mean, Jesus, I can't remember any case of product placement ever that was a ridiculously cringe worthy as seen in this film.

Does anyone know whats a good pathway for becoming a pilot?

I'm seriously considering sending in an application with Cathay Pacific to become a commercial pilot after I finish my degree, but I'm wondering if joining the military first might be a better idea....

I'm seriously considering sending in an application with Cathay Pacific to become a commercial pilot after I finish my degree, but I'm wondering if joining the military first might be a better idea....

Military odds are fairly long to be honest unless you're already in some way involved. Commercial, well these are the basic requirements, but remember that many people will exceed those already. Aero degrees, PPLs and the like all have some weighting.

Fly for Emirates, as long as you don't mind living in Al Sharjah. :lol:

The military is a long shot, you are talking about the most vicious competition anywhere to fly combat aircraft. To get your wings and a fighter plane you need to be able to walk on water and not get your feet wet*.

Your best bet would be to go to school and become a civilian pilot. Try finding a message board for pilots and posting some questions about schools, different tracks, and the jobs you can expect to get as a rookie fresh out of school. You will probably get some good guidance from the people who actually do it for a living and can tell you the good and the bad.

* - My father's words, and he spent over 30 years in the military.

Brief note and couple of points.

First, try out flying. Book up a trial lesson in a flying school to see if you like doing it, not everyone does.

Then, go to flight school for the full ppl, night rating, instrument rating and twin engine upgrade.

Check the minimum hours for "assistant" flying instructor and hours build toward that. (Whatever its called there?)
Take the FI test and get a job as such, so you can hours build at someone else?s expense, while you acquire P1 time free. :cool:

(Take the twin turboprop conversion / upgrade course.)

Dunno what the minimum or recommended P1 hours are before you can take the ATPL (I think that?s the starting one?), which ever it is, next do the course and pass the test.

Then apply to Cathy Pacific.
Good luck dude.:)

Oh my god, I actually watched that film in the cinema during a sneak peak screening. :eek:
It was completely terrible and woefully cheesy, or at least that's how I remember it. But then again, I don't recall the flight scenes looking that good... :think:

Yes , "Les chevaliers du ciel " is a terrible movie , and what we see in the youtube clip is not in the film but is extracted from the bonus of the dvd.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlOZBZl3BZg[/YOUTUBE]

Watch in HD, it is awesome. So awesome it might be fit for awesome thread too.

If you like this clip maybe you will like this one :[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njyhTcqtmto[/YOUTUBE]

I call.

[YOUTUBE]vGcxN2D1E34[/YOUTUBE]

Sadly I can't compete with all your fancy beautiful fighter videos, but here's something a bit more coarse.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKP3kAjOi8Y[/YOUTUBE]

I just love the mighty fuck-off flying gun platform the MH60L DAP is.

Sneak passes? (Repost?)
[YOUTUBE]K7rAUu8djZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Most of the military pilots I've known have never been particularly impressive. Smart, sure. Determined, yeah. Extremely bright? Not really. They've always come across as pretty average across the board.

The Angels though? They're a damn impressive group. I've only met a few of them personally, but they have been special. I don't know where I read it but they get 12 applications a year to join their ranks as pilots. Twelve. Of the 2,000+ active duty pilots in the Navy and Marines.

You have to be a real man to be a Blue Angel. They don't wear g-suits. They don't wear g-suits. You not only have to be an amazing pilot, but have balls of steel the size of mars.

And the music in that video was pointless. Jet roar > your favourite song.

edit: Speaking of F18s roaring past, I figured I might as well upload this from the air show way back in June. I don't know why I wasn't zoomed in as much as I could have been, seems an odd choice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYQME81Nhg[/youtube]

Last edited:
Blue angles = Pure WIN

How the hell can only 12 people per year apply? I'd TOTALLY apply if I met the requirements.