The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I totally want to fly a DC-6... such an amazingly beautiful airplane. Come to think of it, I can't really think of one time Douglas made an ugly plane... I mean, the DC-8 would have been the only minger in my opinion, but even had some beauty in its own right.

Last edited:
Was doing a bit of Wikipedia reading. Did you guys know that one 777 engine could fly a whole 747? I find that hilarious.

Engine_of_Jet_Airways_Boeing_777-300ER.jpg

Was doing a bit of Wikipedia reading. Did you guys know that one 777 engine could fly a whole 747?

Yeah, those beasts pack quite a punch.

...and that's why they are awesome! :p

Was doing a bit of Wikipedia reading. Did you guys know that one 777 engine could fly a whole 747? I find that hilarious.

800px-Ge-747-N747GE-020918-03.jpg

Pratt & Whitney JT9D (the original 747 engine) on right. And here's a video:

747SCAtwo.jpg

Speaking of TV shows, History Canada is making another aviation-themed show, called "Dust Up". While I don't doubt that there will be a lot of manufactured drama and bullshit as there is in Ice Pilots, I'll watch at least the first episode, mostly because these guys are certifiably insane:

I totally want to be an Ag pilot. Just give me a mask so I don't breathe that shit in!

B-17G - N809Z​

[QUOTE="Aircraft in Fiction" Wiki]A B-17G operated by Intermountain Airlines, an actual Central Intelligence Agency front company, fitted with the Fulton recovery system, drops rescue gear to James Bond and his Bond girl in the Bahamas at the conclusion of the 1965 movie Thunderball. This aircraft had actually been used by the CIA to insert and recover agents in the arctic that had checked on an abandoned Soviet ice station under Project COLDFEET in 1963.[/QUOTE]

Aircraft in Fiction (Wiki)

:)

Started my multi-engine training today with a sim-session. Totally felt behind the plane, but I didn't crash and the checklists went well towards the end of the lesson. One more sim session and then into the real deal. Only part that sucks is about half the time I'll be flying the airplane will be under "the hood" (hate that POS) and I don't even get to enjoy the view!

Well done for making the start and you gotta expect to be a little behind the plane to begin with, its your first day!

Got though basic instrument training, did OK but hated it. (Didn't have to fly the sim much
and didnt like that much either. :lol:)

Post up when you know what type of twin you'll be flying next.

:cool:

Last edited:
I need to get more $$$ to complete my training. Haven't even done first solo yet :(

What do you call a black guy in the cockpit?
A pilot, you racist pig!!!

I thought you called him Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of the Los Angeles Lakers.