The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Probably my favourite plane of its type, the Boeing 747-400.
Wonder what they will call the new plane. :think:

797 comes to mind (surprise!..), but apparently they want to replace the complete lineup with the Yellowstone Project, so maybe they will use some new numbering system.

edit According to the Wikipedia link above, the Yellowstone Project Y2 ended up as the 787, so 797 for the Y3 (the big one) is not improbable.

Last edited:
797 comes to mind (surprise!..), but apparently they want to replace the complete lineup with the Yellowstone Project, so maybe they will use some new numbering system.

edit According to the Wikipedia link above, the Yellowstone Project Y2 ended up as the 787, so 797 for the Y3 (the big one) is not improbable.

Y3 is basically dead right now. With the 777X program underway, as well as the 747-8 in production, it's going to be at least 2040 before Y3 even hits the drawing boards.

Not sure if I've ever posted this before, but this is an old video that I sometimes watch before going to bed:

Well I just booked my flight to Poland, and I'll be flying the following aircraft: 767, 737 and an Embraer 175. :)

What happened there? Looks like the wing of the... C-130? isn't properly removed (torn off?).

Looks like a C-130 fuselage being loaded onto a C-5, isn't it?

What happened there? Looks like the wing of the... C-130? isn't properly removed (torn off?).

It looks like part (or maybe even all) of the center wing box has been removed which isn't surprising since it's a high-corrosion area on the C-130.

Now that's awesome! If they tried to do something like that today they would have to do in-depth feasibility studies, engineering evaluations, man-hour cost/benefit comparisons, logistical flow charts, environmental studies, and loads of other crap meaning the whole project would take seven years. I get the feeling that back then someone was just like "Hey let's just strap it to a bomber and be done with it!" and the whole thing was done by the following Tuesday. :cool:

I regularly read a blog of the flight's photographer, he is a huge blogger well known in Russia (Sergey Dolya). Incidentally, he stayed on the ground today to take pictures of the plane. Blackbox signal hasn't been received yet, and according to technicians, it should have been received within minutes if the plane had crashed - so not all is lost yet, it might have made a landing somewhere.

Another aviation news:

A completely new airport was built in Berlin during the last couple of years. On June 3rd, the 2 existing airports in Berlin were scheduled to be closed and the new airport was supposed to start operating.

But now they realized, they can't follow the schedule and have to postpone everything to at least August.

Article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/09/uk-germany-airport-berlin-idUSLNE84701620120509

My opinion:

I'm not surprised. Although I know almost nothing about this project, there has never been any big project that worked as planed. The bigger the project is, the bigger the delay. It is always the same. I simply can not get, why there is anybody in the word, that really believes in a set date. If I was a project manager, I'd have all my smart people plan and calculate the time frame, and then add another year or decade, depending on the project.

Now this will cause thousand lawsuits. All the airlines planned their slots on the new airport, and therefore have no slots on the old airports etc. Also the complete infrastructure around the airport, and the people that should work there etc.

Everybody is gonna sue. And why??? Only because mankind is to stupid to learn from failures. And there has never been anything else but failures....

They are only blaming the fire systems for the delay (there are of course other additional problems), but this will probably cost the insurance of the company that installed or planned the fire system dearly.

It will cost so much, their boss better packs his stuff and moves to a tropical island.

PS:

Although I think that company isn't really the one to blame. In projects like this, the real tasks are often rather vaguely presented and you've to little information for careful planing.

It is only a guess now, but the problem is with the ventilation system in case of an fire. I can imagine, that one should plan such a system, without having a layout of the building it is in at first. Then when the building is planned, there are changes here and there... some displays are hung where no where on maps before etc and later you have to put a ventilation system in a fully packed room.

Happened to me once... there is a dead line, so you have to start work on a good guess and not on many information, and when you're 3/4 way through you can start completely over because the complication become clear in that late stage. But there is nothing that could have be done different in my position. Except doing nothing until the point where I had to start over. But that wouldn't have been accepted by the contractor because he wanted us to start early.... etc etc.

JUST STUPID :rolleyes:

Last edited: