The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

We've got one here as well, might take pics some day.

Flew on the 787-8 twice to and from Poland for vacation on LOT, and what an AWESOME aircraft. It really is a major step in airliners. Obviously with that comes some of the issues it's been having, but with time it will mature.

Some photos from my trip (I flew on SP-LRB both times sitting in 4A and then in 6A both of which are premium economy seats):

Last edited:
I am not sure I like the idea of electronic dimming windows, I like some level of control when I choose a window seat...

I am not sure I like the idea of electronic dimming windows, I like some level of control when I choose a window seat...

You can control how dark the tint is outside of takeoffs,landings, and probably when everyone is sleeping even then on the darkest setting you can still see very well. Really enjoyable experience and having flown a few different aircraft my favorite. :)

Last edited:
Probably old but still funny:

nF2DS.jpg

Presenting USS Los Angeles..

as23.jpg

h84568.jpg

That doesn't seem right, heh. Also think about the amount of pull being put on that tower.

EDIT:

On 25 August 1927, while the Los Angeles was tethered at the Lakehurst high mast, a gust of wind caught her tail and lifted it into colder, denser air that was just above the airship. This caused the tail to lift higher. The crew on board tried to compensate by climbing up the keel toward the rising tail, but could not stop the ship from reaching an angle of 85 degrees, before it finally descended. Amazingly, the ship suffered only slight damage and was able to fly the next day.

Last edited:
used some of my old mans points to upgrade my flight from MEL->LAX on united, their business looks on par with qantas but their economy looks woefully out of date, really hoping that upgrade clears!

I flew United (economy) last week YUL -> IAD -> DXB... Never again!

The first leg (2h flight) was ok, very basic service, but that's expected on non-oversea flight. But the second one was the worst long-hauled I've ever experienced.

1.5 hour delay before leaving the gate due to a non-working toilet. Not a single drink service during that time.

No drink service before the first meal, and that meal happened 1.5h after taking off (the flight was scheduled for 18:25).

And when they got to my row, they ran out of chicken meal, so I had to have the vegetarian meal.

Alcohol not complimentary in economy.

I really wish you get your upgrade. Me, I know I will do anything to avoid flying on a US carrier in the future on international flights.

I flew United (economy) last week YUL -> IAD -> DXB... Never again!

The first leg (2h flight) was ok, very basic service, but that's expected on non-oversea flight. But the second one was the worst long-hauled I've ever experienced.

1.5 hour delay before leaving the gate due to a non-working toilet. Not a single drink service during that time.

No drink service before the first meal, and that meal happened 1.5h after taking off (the flight was scheduled for 18:25).

And when they got to my row, they ran out of chicken meal, so I had to have the vegetarian meal.

Alcohol not complimentary in economy.

I really wish you get your upgrade. Me, I know I will do anything to avoid flying on a US carrier in the future on international flights.

thankfully it's a nice short 15 hour flight :/

I couldn't justify Qantas/AA charging an extra $1400 for the same flights over united

washington1.jpg

Became aware of this image (and others of the same event) recently while doing research on Concorde. May 24, 1976, first flight of Concorde to the US and it was a simultaneous flight between British Airways and Air France. Unfortunately, they decided the logistics of a simultaneous landing were a bit too much. It's awesome seeming them both lined up at the main terminal of Dulles, and seeing my local airport 4 decades in the past.

(Note: Ok, it was actually the second flight, the first being the French President flying one to Andrews AFB, but that was a complete publicity stunt by the French that was hugely expensive and largely pointless.)

Last edited:
I suspect epic picdumps from 4 sources will be filling this thread soon.... :whistle:

^
Oh, Hai. o/

I suspect epic picdumps from 4 sources will be filling this thread soon.... :whistle:

You mean four slightly different angles of the same planes? :p

Be good to see the best ones, especially if they are as good as the Super Connie pic in PPY. (Maybe in the Photography Forum or FG Meets for the picdumps x 4.)

:cool:

(I heard there was a B-25 at RIAT, better have some good pics of that. :glare:)

XdUEZjo.jpg

Be good to see the best ones, especially if they are as good as the Super Connie pic in PPY. (Maybe in the Photography Forum or FG Meets for the picdumps x 4.)

:cool:

(I heard there was a B-25 at RIAT, better have some good pics of that. :glare:)

Be a while before they are sorted but yes I grabbed a few of the B-25 - she was gorgeous! :wub:

That very plane was at Fairford on Sunday - awesome display!