The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Yeah, that's the full-airframe recovery system used as a big selling point on Cirrus aircraft. Required on their SR20/SR22 aircraft because the cuffed wing design which improves low speed control makes it very difficult to meet the FAA's one-turn/three-second spin recovery requirements. The CAPS system is required on those models for FAA compliance, but it seems to be a good idea in and of itself.

[video=youtube;UV7-73LmOm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV7-73LmOm0[/video]

its_beautiful.jpg

narf;n3542095 said:
...and there goes Niki :( was supposed to fly with them on the 23rd...

Rebooked to Condor just after the announcement on the 13th, now Condor is doing partial refunds for people like me... as long as you bought a ticket from the 14th. I was 4h too fast to qualify, and they swiftly denied the refund :( booooo.

mpicco;n3542303 said:
Lauda's airlines don't seem to fare well... Lauda air went belly up not that long ago too.
Correct on the former, but IIRC the Austrian Airlines Group was "successfully persuaded" (i.e. forced by politicians) to take that particular bottomless pit over, debt and all. Needless to say that this didn't go well and now AUA is part of the LH group.

Two Delta 747s in the air. The #DL747Farewell tour continues aboard DL9771 and DL158 making its way to Detroit as the last regular 747 passenger service by a US airline.

25443159_1617619508277466_1627293737301089112_n.jpg

That's so sad. No US airline bought some 747-8 ?

OK so I'm no expert, and I know that security is paramount, but surely in the following situation if common sense prevails you carry on to your destination and sort things out when you get there? Madness!
[h=1]LA-Tokyo flight turns back after passenger 'boards with wrong ticket'[/h] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42492467

narf;n3543030 said:
If I had a United ticket I'd try to board any other plane too...

Where's the rep system when you need it? :lol:

According to the Aviation Safety Network the year 2017 turned out to be the safest year ever for commercial aviation: one fatal passenger flight accident per 9.2 million flights. :)

Year isn't over yet :lol:

"Unexpected" delay? C'mon, the pilot just wanted to celebrate New Year twice... :p