The awesome boats thread

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
Compared to the regular daily fleet of cruise ships around here, yes.

For example, compare with this lardy thing that docked yesterday:

Last edited:

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
Ah.... well, compared to today's usual cruise ships, even a WW1 submarine is a beauty. But I must confess my first look at the picture was on my phone so I didn't realize this wasn't one of those cruise ships. It's still a box on the water, just not a "Something of the Seas" hideous one. ;)

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
Indeed... from late April to early October there are about 150 cruise ships docking here, and the vast majority is of the AIDA / Mein Schiff n / MSC / Costa variety :|

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
taxis and the subway
But the paint is so pwetty! You're mean! :cry:

for those who haven't had the displeasure: Their ships look like a three-year-old painted them with someone's lipstick and a bucket of finger paint.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
Finally, something other than a white box.

No offense to those who have posted, but container ships and floating housing blocks are not "awesome".

CD82

Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Speaking of "not floating houses":

Battleships of the Bismarck- and Scharnhorst-class were - at least to me - some of the most elegant ships of their time. And while war in general is very bad, it does promote technological advances and innovation like almost nothing else. And honestly, I would rather go on a cruise in of these two than in a modern day cruise ship (which to me symbolize everything wrong with our society - but then I do like WW2 battleships, so maybe something is wrong with me, not society ;) )

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Finally, something other than a white box.

No offense to those who have posted, but container ships and floating housing blocks are not "awesome".
To me the Riva Aquarama is the most beautiful thing ever created by man. I would, literally, sell a kidney just to have a day caning one around one of the Italian lakes.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Old 1960's and 70's runabouts have been growing on me. I think it would be great to have one to tool around the river I live by.

You know that BOAT means Break Out Another Thousand. With those old runabouts, it it more like Ten thousand. They are very maintenance intensive. They all leak, and that also means you can't let the hull dry out or it may never seal again.

They are gorgeous though.

You buy one and I will pay for the fuel and steaks to come down and play for a day.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I wouldn't get the aluminum riveted ones for that very reason. I would get fiberglass one if I ever did.

If boats take another thousand to maintain, what exactly do all the cars we know and love cost us? :D

GRtak

Forum Addict
That varies greatly from car to car. But there is a reason they say the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR, #Saab #9-3, #Toyota #MR2 #2ZZ
Speaking of "not floating houses":Battleships of the Bismarck- and Scharnhorst-class were - at least to me - some of the most elegant ships of their time.
What, are you not impressed by the glory that is the HMS Nelson?

Washington Naval Treaty FTL.

CD82

Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
With all the turrets located forward and the superstructure at the back the ship looks unbalanced to me. But to each their own. Maybe I'm a little biased when it comes to battleships. Although I can also appreciate the Iowa class BBs as well as the Yamato, but as far as elegance goes I think Bismarck and Tirpitz are just up there... It's just a shame that battleships were totally outclassed by aircraft carriers by the end of WW2. Something about big metal boats with lots and lots of guns on them makes me feel good, somehow.