The awesome boats thread

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
Not really awesome, but noteworthy nonetheless: The catamaran ferry Halunder Jet which used to operate between Hamburg and Heligoland, has apparently been sold and according to this German news it will be transported to the Canadian West coast to operate there between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

I think it is curios that they transport a short-distance ferry halfway round the world...

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Well, the new ferry has been built literally on the other side of the world, in Australia, and the old ferry will be operated by another subsidiary of the same company. I'd guess the passenger numbers to Heligoland increased in the last years so the old ferry has become too small, and as long as it's size fits for Vancouver (or Seattle, according to other sources) the shipping there is still cheaper than a new ferry.

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
And if you think about it shipping and a refurb/repaint is still a damn sight cheaper than ordering a new boat.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
Not really awesome, but noteworthy nonetheless: The catamaran ferry Halunder Jet which used to operate between Hamburg and Heligoland, has apparently been sold and according to this German news it will be transported to the Canadian West coast to operate there between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

I think it is curios that they transport a short-distance ferry halfway round the world...
Probably with a heavy-lift hauler, like the one used to transport the USS Cole after it was bombed.

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
On the topic of ferries, anyone have any idea how oceancrossing capable the big ones would be if the need arose? Like say the ones on the North sea? I can imagine they are fairly shallow draft and topheavy when empty.... that would not be much fun in the middle of the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
It depends very much on the ferry, there are oceangoing ferries that should be able to handle high seas just fine. The big thing is that most are not equipped for long voyages; they have minimal food and water storage, limited fuel stores, and sometimes don't have sleeping quarters for all the passengers.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
The North Sea can be very rough, so ferries operating between mainland Europe and Great Britain are build for that and should be very capable - but probably not capable enough for a hurricane. But as Blind_Io said, they are not build for long voyages. In my thinking that means not only that they don't have the storage capacity for enough supplies, but also that they may be built with the fact in mind that with today's weather forecast capabilities, they will never be at sea in a really bad storm because except for a few, they are never more than a day from their port of call.