The awesome boats thread

Compared to the regular daily fleet of cruise ships around here, yes.

For example, compare with this lardy thing that docked yesterday:

1280px-MSC_Musica_by_venezia_imo_9320087_2006_IMG_9259.JPG

Last edited:
Ah.... well, compared to today's usual cruise ships, even a WW1 submarine is a beauty. But I must confess my first look at the picture was on my phone so I didn't realize this wasn't one of those cruise ships. It's still a box on the water, just not a "Something of the Seas" hideous one. ;)

Indeed... from late April to early October there are about 150 cruise ships docking here, and the vast majority is of the AIDA / Mein Schiff n / MSC / Costa variety :|

I might know how AIDA boats get the heat to make steam. :whistle:

Speaking of AIDA: AIDAprima Cruise Ship Construction & Christening in 4K

a72613440c48e1f7709875a349b9b887.png

Oh baby.....

Finally, something other than a white box.

No offense to those who have posted, but container ships and floating housing blocks are not "awesome".

Speaking of "not floating houses":

Bismarck.jpg

Scharnhorst.jpg

Battleships of the Bismarck- and Scharnhorst-class were - at least to me - some of the most elegant ships of their time. And while war in general is very bad, it does promote technological advances and innovation like almost nothing else. And honestly, I would rather go on a cruise in of these two than in a modern day cruise ship (which to me symbolize everything wrong with our society - but then I do like WW2 battleships, so maybe something is wrong with me, not society ;) )

No offense to those who have posted, but container ships and floating housing blocks are not "awesome".

Old 1960's and 70's runabouts have been growing on me. I think it would be great to have one to tool around the river I live by.

Finally, something other than a white box.

To me the Riva Aquarama is the most beautiful thing ever created by man. I would, literally, sell a kidney just to have a day caning one around one of the Italian lakes.

Old 1960's and 70's runabouts have been growing on me. I think it would be great to have one to tool around the river I live by.

You know that BOAT means Break Out Another Thousand. With those old runabouts, it it more like Ten thousand. They are very maintenance intensive. They all leak, and that also means you can't let the hull dry out or it may never seal again.

They are gorgeous though.

You buy one and I will pay for the fuel and steaks to come down and play for a day.

I wouldn't get the aluminum riveted ones for that very reason. I would get fiberglass one if I ever did.

If boats take another thousand to maintain, what exactly do all the cars we know and love cost us? :D

That varies greatly from car to car. But there is a reason they say the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

Depends on who you ask.

I currently own two boats. A canoe and a small kayak.

Paddle power for the win.

Speaking of "not floating houses":Battleships of the Bismarck- and Scharnhorst-class were - at least to me - some of the most elegant ships of their time.
What, are you not impressed by the glory that is the HMS Nelson?
HMS_Nelson_off_Spithead_for_the_Fleet_Review.jpg

Washington Naval Treaty FTL.

With all the turrets located forward and the superstructure at the back the ship looks unbalanced to me. But to each their own. Maybe I'm a little biased when it comes to battleships. Although I can also appreciate the Iowa class BBs as well as the Yamato, but as far as elegance goes I think Bismarck and Tirpitz are just up there... It's just a shame that battleships were totally outclassed by aircraft carriers by the end of WW2. Something about big metal boats with lots and lots of guns on them makes me feel good, somehow.