The awesome boats thread

With all the turrets located forward and the superstructure at the back the ship looks unbalanced to me. But to each their own. Maybe I'm a little biased when it comes to battleships. Although I can also appreciate the Iowa class BBs as well as the Yamato, but as far as elegance goes I think Bismarck and Tirpitz are just up there... It's just a shame that battleships were totally outclassed by aircraft carriers by the end of WW2. Something about big metal boats with lots and lots of guns on them makes me feel good, somehow.
Ah, I was being sarcastic, those guys were agreed to be among the ugliest battleships out there, and I tend to agree.

Sorry I didn't want to hurt your feelings ;)

One thing the Nelson has going for it is that the third turret also faces forward. So in case the turrets needed to be rotated from one side to the other all three would finish their rotation at the same time. There are other designs with three forward mounted turrets but one of the turrets would face backwards and had to be rotated more than 180? to follow the forward facing turrets.

That varies greatly from car to car. But there is a reason they say the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

Right. Typically, you want to stay away from I/O's because of their use of car engines and being mounted low inside, it makes servicing a pain but there's also more involved that need to be serviced. Bellows for example are the big reason why people sell. I guess it's expensive. Personally, in my area. The rivers and connecting lakes have changing and known shallow spots. I would think a total outboard would make more sense because, it's all out there and easy to service. Sure there a brands to stay away from, Force, and Chrysler being the worst.

I've done some research and, I love the idea of having a boat, especially a small enough one for a person to launch. Will I ever do it? Probably not any time soon.

HMS Nelson or HMS Rodney.

Damn, for a nation that is all about the Navy and keeping up appearances, the Brits sure built some ass-ugly ships.

HMS Nelson or HMS Rodney.

Damn, for a nation that is all about the Navy and keeping up appearances, the Brits sure built some ass-ugly ships.
For a nation into wit and wordplay, they had the perfect nicknames for them: the "Cherry Tree" battleships, because they were cut down by Washington (naval treaty), amirite?

Last edited:
I wouldn't get the aluminum riveted ones for that very reason. I would get fiberglass one if I ever did.

If boats take another thousand to maintain, what exactly do all the cars we know and love cost us? :D

JYAVWj7.gif

Friend of mine has speed boat with super charged big block, trip and back to nearby city cost's 300 liters of high octane, where Miata it takes good 8 liters on hard driving. Plus how short engine life is between full restorations.

Last edited:
That's like comparing a hellcat to a Miata....

But yes, I see your point.

Boats drink fuel like it is going out of style.

Large engines do.

My family has had several boats over the years and they are all thirsty. One example is the 76 Bayliner Skagit that has(still in the family) a 307 SBC in it. Nothing high power to say the least. I think it gets around 5 MPG at around 25 MPH.

Well, yeah, you're not geared like a car.... it's different. A SBC or any car engine isn't exactly tuned for efficiency at the high of an rpm.

That is about 2800 RPM. Not exactly reving it to the max. The 4 cyl that was bought to replace it wasn't much better.

:dunno: I don't see the problem, our 180l tank has so far always lasted for an entire season... according to the manufacturer, it gets about 16mpg at reasonable speed and near infinite under wind power :D

Wind power does not work well on a river.

I've gone from down where I live on the Fox River all the way up to Pistakee lake on 3 gallons. Motor was pegged most of the way

What size engine on how big of a boat? And how far is that in an actual measurement?

It's a good 15+ miles or more. It's also a 14' boat with a 25hp Johnson. :D

So 3 gallons of gas to go a bit over 15 miles... The math is so hard!

That's like comparing a hellcat to a Miata....

But yes, I see your point.

True. I like fishing boats and similar slow ones that take 3-8 liters of diesel in hour. Or even better, old tugboat, slow and steady even if there is end of the world storm (off course by local standards, biggest waves here are 9m, thanks to small ocean).

Ocean boating freaks me out. I had a 20' deck boat out there once with family and it's fun. Navigating the intercostal waterway from the marina is the scary part. I didn't trust the depth finder because it jumped all over the place while stationary and the water was clear enough to make you believe you were going to run aground. Since no sand was being kicked up, I figured it was fine. :)