The "Ban the Person Above You" Game

Banned for not moving into Singapore and experiencing world class snail driving.

QUANTITIES IN TEXT

You are banned for questioning the idea of length as a status symbol in terms of the aspect of text. The simple matter is, length is quantity, and therefore mutually exclusive as opposed to quality. Or is it? In order to find an answer to this dillema, this post looks at the relationship between literature and word count, and the automatic assumption that a thicker book is of a higher intellectual standard. By doing so, the relationship between the two aspects of quantity and quality are assessed.

Consider this, in order to include the various ideas and idioms that structure a piece of text of any genre, whether it may be fiction or instructional, the length of the text is increased. Does this mean that quantity and quality are equal? Not quite. In many journalistic standards such as reviews and articles, a specific word count is set as the maximum for spatial issues. By the logic previously mentioned, this should therefore decrease the quality of the work, and what can be included. It could be argued that in actual fact the word count limits the choice of the writer in terms of usage of persuasive language, but even so, writers manage to overcome this through the act of compression, which brings onto the next point.

Whilst it may be true that addition of information increases the amount of text to carry out this information, the wording of the information can be altered. In other words, information can be stretched out or just the opposite, compressed. This is an example:

1. The brown cat lived at No.22.
2. The cat, that was brown, resided at the house number No.22.

As seen above, both sentences carry the same information with no new information introduced. Yet the second sentence is longer. This...

Ah forget it, I haven't got the time.

EDIT: Now look, I'm two posts late.

Banned! That's right, your banned! Do you know what you're banned for? That's right, I'll tell you! I'm going to tell you all day, but first I have to tell you about my cat, he's name is Toby, and he likes sleeping on the furniture. Oh, and he's brown with mottled black spots! Isn't that just great? It's got nothing to do with this banned, I just thought I'd mention it. So, do you like grapes? I love grapes! My nana used to hate them, only one in the county! Can you believe it? So anyways, I was talking to Connor about the giraffes at the local zoo, and they're really...(trails off)

Banned for... do you like living in Britain? Are you treated like a second/third class citizen like what others claim? Have you been to China/your home country before? Do you know that I really want to go to Britain where car ownership is really cheap and affordable? You're superbly lucky, do you know that?...

Banned for being too mouthful.

:p

Oh, and yes I have been to China before, and I do like living in Britain. I am treated as an equal, I've never had any real problems with racial discrimination. Is it expensive to own a car in Singapore? I never realised. And yes, I'm glad I'm living in Britain and consider myself lucky that I'm not living in Somalia or North Korea or somewhere similar.

Banned for awesome small talk and that you don;t have MSN.

/I'll really love to go over to the UK for a holiday at least >< But my parents keep giving excuses about their inability to speak English, the long plane ride etc. It is superiorly expensive to buy a car, and complicated too. It's not like UK where you can simply go to an auction site or eBay, pay money for the car you want, sign some forms, and off you go. A new mid-specced Audi Q7 3.6 V6 FSI Quattro costs SGD$240,000 (112,738.86 GBP), enough to buy a used 2007 Ferrari F430! Our BMW 320i (without sunroof, iDrive, but has xenon, leather, electronic seats, auto wiper, blackline lights etc.) costs $139,000 (65,306.53 GBP), enough to buy a Land Rover Range Rover Vogue HSE.

Last edited:
Banned 4 not adding me

Ban, ban, ban 'till her daddy takes the T-Bird away.