The Battle of British Muscle

The Battle of British Muscle

• Total voters
Yeah, except the Astons mostly fell apart and didn't finish let alone win. Between the Tullius Group 44 cars and the TWR cars, the XJS had a successful racing career.

The Aston wasn't great, but it did look amazing. (Much like that Zonda a few years ago that i don't think even completed the first 10 laps)

The XJS was a great racer. I remember having a matchbox toy of the ETCC TWR car. Still have it!

The Jaguar Trans Am cars of course have a great history with the XKR still winning the last few championships. Didn't an E-type compete before the XJS as well?

I don't like the way the XJS looks.

Therefore, Aston.

I don't like the way the XJS looks.

Therefore, Aston.

Misc-Burn_him.jpg

If it was my only car, the Jaguar XJ-S. But if I already had a car as a daily driver, I'd pick the Aston. First time I saw it on the Top Gear review with James May I was completely sold.

The Aston wasn't great, but it did look amazing. (Much like that Zonda a few years ago that i don't think even completed the first 10 laps)

The XJS was a great racer. I remember having a matchbox toy of the ETCC TWR car. Still have it!

The Jaguar Trans Am cars of course have a great history with the XKR still winning the last few championships. Didn't an E-type compete before the XJS as well?

Yup. And in a more parochial race, remember that despite all the abuse and damage, the only car running at the end of the Top Gear Cheap Coupes banger race was the XJS.

Forgive me for doing a bit of flag-waving for the marque, but IMHO the pre-Ford-design Jaguars were the best and most underappreciated British products of their eras and certainly the best cars (overall) 'classic' Britain ever produced.

I just think everyone needs to take another good look at these. I mean, come on, it's not even fair how awesome that is.

They both made seriously badass race cars!

01tajag2.jpg

vintage-2005-wg-al-1139.jpg

872085.jpg

In real life I'd buy the jag. But I prefer the aston overall. The jag is very pretty though. Maybe a bit too pretty.

The Aston, no contest. :D

Going on looks alone:

The Aston is Connery: Menacing and suave with a touch of charm.

The Jag is Moore: Oozing with charm, but the only thing menacing about him is his penchant for safari jackets.

Last edited:
Yup. And in a more parochial race, remember that despite all the abuse and damage, the only car running at the end of the Top Gear Cheap Coupes banger race was the XJS.

Forgive me for doing a bit of flag-waving for the marque, but IMHO the pre-Ford-design Jaguars were the best and most underappreciated British products of their eras and certainly the best cars (overall) 'classic' Britain ever produced.

Including the XJ40? :p

the only car running at the end of the Top Gear Cheap Coupes banger race was the XJS.

At the start, however... :p

I said Aston because I think it's better looking, but I don't doubt that the Jaaaag would be a better car to live with. I'd save some cash and get a really good XJS, because I'd never use the extra power of the R-S. It's just not the done thing with old Jags.

Am I the only one getting flashbacks from 'Project Car From Hell' articles on Jalopnik?

Fuck. I accidentally voted for the Jag.