Movie: The Bourne Legacy (2012)

AutoAero

Car(s)
2001 Audi S4
tumblr_lxj6d061IV1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

The film is not a reboot per se, rather a separate story told within the parameters of the existing Bourne universe. The film will be directed by Tony Gilroy, who should be a dab hand at maintaining continuity, given that he was screenwriter on the first three films.

Renner will be joined by Rachel Weisz, Albert Finney, Joan Allen and Oscar Isaac, with Edward Norton on villain duties. The Bourne Legacy opens in UK cinemas on 17 August 2012.

tumblr_lxdeb4tLOL1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

So this sounds like a completely different story to the book which has a Bourne as a professor before getting pulled back in to spy-ness. I'm fine with a new story though without Bourne. Renner plays a new agent named Aaron Cross.

Last edited:
Renner isn't playing Bourne. He is playing another character entirely.

I was really looking forward to this until I discovered that we will be treated to Edward Norton playing Edward Norton. Again. I have a Post-It on my desk that has more dimensions.

And Julia Stiles isn't in it either. :(

I love the original three, so I'll see this no matter what, even if just for the action. Landy is in it so I wonder if she takes over Noah or Kramer's job as director or something.

Apparently Tony Gilroy is directing and Paul Greengrass (who directed Supremacy & Ultimatum) is not involved. Thats a big alarm bell ringing in my head.
This has all the hallmarks of a movie being made to cash in on the Bourne Franchise and won't add any real meat to the Bourne Movie franchise.
I'm not being convinced that this is worth the time to watch.

With you on that jedd. I suspect it could be more of a cash in but if it is and it sucks I can't see the likes of Albert Finney or Joan Allen sticking around for any subsequent efforts.

I'll still watch it although unlike the originals this one might be a download rather than a "I have to see that in a movie theatre" one. UK release is August so a way off yet. Should be more feedback by then to help me make an informed choice.

Last edited:
Much like yourself MWF, i won't be making a point of going to see this one at the movies. Doesnt have the same appeal as the previous movies. Unless a trailer can convince me otherwise. This is a dvd bargain bin purchase for me.
Oddly enough I'm seeing Haywire with Gina Carano later this week and I expect it will be just as much fun as the Borne movies than this cash in attempt.

Tony Gilroy wrote and directed Michael Clayton, which was superb, and he was the writer of the original three Bournes.

Writing this off before there was even been a trailer as some sort of cash grab, without even knowing what it is about, is just stupid, especially considering the pedigree of the writer/director.

This has all the hallmarks of a movie being made to cash in on the Bourne Franchise
Well, that's kind of in spirit of the books. After the original trilogy, these too were "continued" by another author after Ludlum's death.

Missed that. Good. It would be odd if he were Jason. I'm glad Hollywood recognizes that.

Yeah. It might be the cash cow of the Bourne franchise, but that doesn't mean it has to be bad. I like the idea of it - we've seen Bourne's story and throughout there were hints at the whole program etc. Why not show us that now that we know the entire backstory? And show us only a small bit; not too much to ruin it.

I'll go see it for sure, but I won't expect it to be as good as the other 3. But at the same time I won't be expecting it to be bad.

Random thought;

I don't know. IMO Sometimes Jeremy Renner sorta looks like Kimmi Raikkonen's ugly lost brother.

raikkonen1-lg.jpg