Ownership Verified: The BumbleBeetle

The main problem with the first new beetle was that is basically was a Golf that was worse in every aspect: higher fuel consumption, less luggage space, worse visibility, worse performance, cramped interior. And it did not even look that good.

Additionally, the New Beetle came out roughly at the same time as the equally retro and even worse Chrysler PT Cruiser, and years before the superiorly executed New Mini and the new Fiat 500 made the whole "retro look" thing acceptable to the broad public.

Looks pretty good, though I'd prefer it without those stripes. Some decent ones above the sills would be better IMO. The rims are just lovely :)

BUMP!

Could've sworn we passed each other yesterday afternoon on Branderhofer Weg... You do have a very uniquely identifiable car :D

More to the point where is Herr Interceptor these days? He hasn't been here since Oct 22 and more to the point hasn't made it to a Ringmeet since my first one three years ago.

BUMP!

Could've sworn we passed each other yesterday afternoon on Branderhofer Weg... You do have a very uniquely identifiable car :D
Well possible! My SO's relatives live in that area, so I'm there quite often. Next time you see me, just honk like a madman and go apeshit on your high beams!!! I'll be looking out for a blue Leon. Our cars are both quite rare in this config, so we should be able to spot each other.

More to the point where is Herr Interceptor these days? He hasn't been here since Oct 22 and more to the point hasn't made it to a Ringmeet since my first one three years ago.
Yeah, I've made myself quite rare lately. No specific reason, I just don't find so much time to spend in the forums anymore. But I'm alive and well.

On topic: my car still lives as well, and I still love it! However, it does have its issues:

- sometimes the AC doesn't come on for a while. It only happens in the summer and only randomly. I have not found the reason yet. I asked my VW dealer to check this, but they found nothing obvious and stated that it's difficult to check when I don't come in in the summer. Last summer it worked fine.
- sometimes the boot doesn't open. It's an electronically operated lock (so you can unlock it with the key), so maybe it's an electrical issue. I went to the dealer with this, but of course it worked when the guy touched it. This issue has also not re-appeared for a longer time now...
- I have received a letter from VW about the rear axle isse that went through the press a while ago. I thought that my model is not affected, but apparently it is. So they'll precautionarily change something on the rear axle next time I'll be in the garage.
- I have one of VWs now-famous diesels of death. Mine is fixable by a software update. They say that fuel consumption and power delivery will not be affected. I doubt that, because in case the NOx issue really is fixable with a mere software update without any disadvantages, are they seriously saying that they were not able to write this code in the first place? Either way, it'll be another visit to the garage at some point this year, presumably quite early 2016.

Cheers guys!!! :D

Good to hear from you.

Ringmeet is on the OGP weekend in 2016 - 14th and 15th of August. Also we now have an awards ceremony as part of the Saturday evening's entertainment so the Bumble Beetle could even win a prize! hint hint.

A prize my Beetle would win on Finalgear?! What could that be besides a bus ticket or an air freshener that smells like the inside of Jacques Villeneuve's helmet? :p

Last edited:
A prize my Beetle would win on Finalgear?! What could that be besides a bus ticket or an air freshener that smells like the inside of Jacques Villeneuve's helmet? :p

I just write the categories, I have no control over how the RM collective votes.

:whistle:

We already had the air fresheners last year but I might come up with other silly ideas ;)