The car cleaning thread

Bretton Woods

You can usually get a detailing spray in some clay bar packs. Otherwise use a very soapy mixture of car shampoo.

sifu

Car(s)
-07 BMW E91 320d M-sport
well clay does not do more that clean the surface.. some abrasive "wax" should do the trick if it aint through to primer. then a proper wax on top

Bretton Woods

Wax shouldn't ever do anything but coat what is there. Perhaps you meant a polish product?

I suggest you start from the least invasive products and work your way up. Clay bar first, if that's unsuccessful, then use a polishing compound.

sifu

Car(s)
-07 BMW E91 320d M-sport
i said abrasive, as in polish.

Clay would work if the scratch is paint transfer from the object which did it.. And yes least invasive is the one to try first.

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
I finally got a chance to clay my car. The end result was good, but also made me realized I have reached the limitations of what I can do. The next stages are paintless dent repair - i have 5-6 door dings on the sides, which aren't big, but annoy me nevertheless. They don't really justify shelling $600 to fix them though :(

And then there is the actual paint. After years of driving in Colorado, the hood despite the clear bra, has hundreds of small paint chips.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Nada. I bought the Tarminator...used as directed but the nasty tree sap is still there!!! I think it's pine tree sap...not that it matters. I've started scrubbing it off, but I have to be really gentle not to damage/scratch my paint.
Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar remover works well. I haven't tried it on tree sap though.

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
So, i took moms pug to my neighbour for a headlight job. The plastic covers have become yellowish opaque over the years and the surface was like sandpaper. As a consequence the light output was somewhat diminished and the light was useless. So:

In those 2 before/after images you can clearly see how bad the pasanger side light was:

Like new again :)

Last edited:

jibduh

Car(s)
m?r?2?F?C?N?B?f?u?s?i?o?n?405 deMZ2
Impressive! Did you apply/is there any sort of a sealant/coating to maintain the new finish?

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
Not that i know of. I guess those lights just have to be repolished every now and then, because of shitty french plastics. :(

Anesthesia

Car(s)
Civic 1.6i-16(HB), civic 1.6i(sed), 93 Kawa VN1500
Not that i know of. I guess those lights just have to be repolished every now and then, because of shitty french plastics. :(
It's fairly likely that they've got magnetti marelli lights, making them shitty italian plastic. ;)
I work with these for a living, and other notable shitty plastics that should be mentioned are VW passat headlights('96->), Nissan Primera and Almera(all of them), and Opel Astra F and G.

When a customer starts "I've got a passat/almera/primere/astra" I know already what they're going to ask for. :D

Jupix

M-B headlights from the 90s also have that problem. E-class W210, S-class W220, SLK-class, CL-class W215, ML-class spring to mind.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I've been using a blue magic product(I think) leather seat cleaner/conditioner on the mustang seats. They look amazing and I've been trying to apply it every month at least. Is there something else I should be doing?

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Glass headlights FTW!

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
Headlamps not looking good?

Bin them!

Glass sealed beams FTW.

jibduh

Car(s)
m?r?2?F?C?N?B?f?u?s?i?o?n?405 deMZ2
I'd expect that complex geometries in glass would play havoc with the optics during the forming process?