The car cleaning thread

Vette Boss

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6
I'm looking at the Chemical Guys leather cleaning kit for my Passat. Tan leather is lovely when it's clean, conditioned and smelling nice. Unfortunately, mine is starting to look dull and less than brilliant.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
So I figured out what that gross crap on my Mustang's engine bay shock towers is. Its the rubberized undercoating overspray. And its on there pretty good. Any ideas how I can get it off? When I scratch it off with my fingernail, it comes off, but a) thats gross and b) using an abrasive pad would ruin the paint under it.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
So I figured out what that gross crap on my Mustang's engine bay shock towers is. Its the rubberized undercoating overspray. And its on there pretty good. Any ideas how I can get it off? When I scratch it off with my fingernail, it comes off, but a) thats gross and b) using an abrasive pad would ruin the paint under it.
Just started going at it with a nylon bristle brush and some Goo Gone. Its working wonders!

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
^ Why would you want to remove it? If that's the way Ford did it, that's the way the car is. In thirty years time, originality like that will be prized.

:p

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
^ Why would you want to remove it? If that's the way Ford did it, that's the way the car is. In thirty years time, originality like that will be prized.

:p
Yeahhhh. Took me a while to sense the joke. Scumbag dealer was scumbag.

Have you tried a claybar on it?
Claybay would be way more trouble because of all the tight spots and sharp metal edges. The Goo Gone and brush/rag was perfect!

Still got more to do, but calling it a day.

Quiky

Isn't really scary, honest
STAFF MEMBER
No gas struts to prop the hood?! How outmoded!

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Yeahhhh. Took me a while to sense the joke. Scumbag dealer was scumbag.

Claybay would be way more trouble because of all the tight spots and sharp metal edges. The Goo Gone and brush/rag was perfect!

Still got more to do, but calling it a day.
Careful though, Goo Gone is not safe on paint, unless you clean it right away. Also, make sure that you keep it away from plastic parts.

Prop rod is lighter than struts! Because lightness!
Volvos of yore don't use prop rods, or struts...heavy dual spring mechanisms is the way to go. They thought a little more weight is no biggie on an already heavy car :lol: