The car cleaning thread

nsx_23

Forum Addict
I thought it may be useful to have a thread where we can share tips on how to keep our cars looking like new. I am currently in the market for a pressure cleaner and am thinking of getting a karcher. However, i wonder if the more expensive models are worth it.

This is the one i am looking at - http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/Search/karcher/1595-PSI-Karcher-High-Pressure-Cleaner/306

Also looking for suggestions for cleaning compounds for the interior and exterior. I tried armorall once and wasnt that impressed.

Last edited:
Armor all is not your friend. Unless applied regularly, it can wreck trim in the long term.

Yeah i used it once a long, long time ago and stopped. So whats a better alternative?

Barely damp cloths for cleaning. Protecting will depend on the exact surface and even varies by type of leather. I generally just clean with a barely damp cloth and skip the "protect" stage, so I'm not the best person to comment on what to use for that.

Are you familiar with autopia? It's a bit like asking miata.net which Miata you should buy, but there's a lot of good info.

I thought it may be useful to have a thread where we can share tips on how to keep our cars looking like new. I am currently in the market for a pressure cleaner and am thinking of getting a karcher. However, i wonder if the more expensive models are worth it.

This is the one i am looking at - http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/Search/karcher/1595-PSI-Karcher-High-Pressure-Cleaner/306

Also looking for suggestions for cleaning compounds for the interior and exterior. I tried armorall once and wasnt that impressed.

I bought a low end karcher and it broke within a few months. I only used it about once a week. Don't know how they're higher end models hold up though.

Depending on how damaged the exterior of your paint is, you may not need a compound for the exterior. Not to mention compounds can ruin your paint if used improperly. It's better to start with the least abrasive materials, such as polishes, and if that doesn't work move up to more abrasive things such as ScratchX and then compounds.

Last edited:
I've been using Black Magic's Wet Shine soap. It's it does a great job.

Other than that, I windex the glass and dashboard, my seats, I have this stuff that makes the color stand out alot more. I forget the name. I'll have to look.

I bought a low end karcher and it broke within a few months. I only used it about once a week. Don't know how they're higher end models hold up though.
We have a K?rcher that we've had for god knows how long... over 10 years easy. It still works perfectly. A G?rni is the other default choice. Basically go for something with m?ny ?ml??ts and you'll be fine. :p

Depending on how damaged the exterior of your paint is, you may not need a compound for the exterior. Not to mention compounds can ruin your paint if used improperly. It's better to start with the least abrasive materials, such as polishes, and if that doesn't work move up to more abrasive things such as ScratchX and then compounds.

When I said compound I just mean cleaning chemicals in general. My paint is in pretty good nick but I could do with some polishing to really bring out the color.

We have a K?rcher that we've had for god knows how long... over 10 years easy. It still works perfectly. A G?rni is the other default choice. Basically go for something with m?ny ?ml??ts and you'll be fine. :p

I noticed the Karcher prices are pretty much the same everywhere.

Last edited:
This reminds me, I have to get some leather treatment stuff for my car. We've run out of the stuff I used on the Astra, which was just and ordinary leather treatment kit thing that we got for our sofas. It worked well on the Astra, there was a noticeable and lasting shine and it makes the car smell nice and leathery again.

I might as well mention that I use Turtle Wax wash and wax for the car. I think it works well, better than the Armour All rubbish I had before. I have no complaints.

Last edited:
But that'd cost more :p

for chemicals I use autoglym, does a damn good job IMO but it isnt exactly cheap. Cant fault meguiars stuff either (love the wax they make).

In terms of high pressure hose i have a full fire hose reel on the side of my house which works well, Be careful using a gerni especially on high power as i had a friend take paint straight off using one.

Last edited:
I definitely miss having a car to clean. I have a few Autoglym things and a Meguiars polish and wax - love it all.

I still haven't got the knack of applying the black plastic trim cleaner/blackener without getting it all over the surrounding bodywork. People always say how they clean, then do plastic, then polish etc. Frankly if I do that there are oily marks all round the plastic bits, and white marks on the plastic bits :rolleyes:

And yes, I know that tape would solve the white marks, but I'd only bother with that if I got an electric polisher.

ive been developing a dissorder for washing, claying and waxing my car for the last year... planning on going full blown this summer :p been using autoglym shampoo (love it, and smells really good). turtle clay bar and lube, meguair's cleaning wax and turtle ice paste polish with super smooth results :p

the turtle ice one is good on that one, its not white (more grey/blueish) so it isnt as visible and you can use it on plastic

I must admit I have never used an electric polisher before.

I've previously used to was my cars with AutoGlym red and gold. Normally one layer of red and one layer of gold on top of that have given a pretty nice shine. For two weeks or so... When the next summer comes I'll try something totally different, I'm fed up of spending couple of hours waxing and then all the shine is gone after two weeks or so. I'll much rather spend four hours if the wax lasts a month or even more. I'm also probably giving a try in polishing, the 406 is definitely needing it after 16 years or use...

Can anybody suggest wax/treatment to wheels, is there anything that could prevent them being coated with brake dust?

EDIT: This thread should be renamed to public's jamesmaying thread :D

Last edited: