The Curry Thread

Anyone have a good lamb saag recipe? I used to eat it all the time in Baltimore. A block away from campus there was the Nifty Fifties Diner, it was really weird. It was a 50's style diner, but run by an Indian family, so they also served really good Indian food. Anyway, I've been trying to make lamb saag myself that tasted like theirs, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Think anyone can help me out?

Anyone have a good lamb saag recipe? I used to eat it all the time in Baltimore. A block away from campus there was the Nifty Fifties Diner, it was really weird. It was a 50's style diner, but run by an Indian family, so they also served really good Indian food. Anyway, I've been trying to make lamb saag myself that tasted like theirs, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Think anyone can help me out?

I've been there and know what you're talking about. What an awesome place.

Bit of a bump here, but Dosa in SF is damn good. Chaat cafe, Taste of the Himalayas, and Viceroy's (all at Berkeley) are all damn good.

And if you head down to Indian central in Sunnyvale, I'm sure you'll find lots of great eateries. One great place I've been to is called Dosa palace. Must go!
Mother of all bumps, more like :)

The bay area is much better for Indian than basically anywhere in the US, save Chicago and NYC. Plus there's a Patel Bros. there for all of your masala needs. Just found out that the minimart in my new apartment building has Thums-Up and a full range of MDH and Shaan powders. Fuck yes.

Mother of all bumps, more like :)

The bay area is much better for Indian than basically anywhere in the US, save Chicago and NYC. Plus there's a Patel Bros. there for all of your masala needs. Just found out that the minimart in my new apartment building has Thums-Up and a full range of MDH and Shaan powders. Fuck yes.

More specifically the East Bay/San Jose area is saturated with Indians, you cant go a couple blocks now without seeing a Indian restaurant/store/chaat place...

Oh could go for a idli/sambhar/dosa combo right now.....

I enjoy curries of all types, Indian, thai, japanese, but most commonly I eat the more mild japanese style curries, great place called Curry House which is a block down the street from my place

4952258999_d2496f0bea_z.jpg

Had a lovely "English style", Indian chicken curry tonight, with rice, veg & an onion bhaji. Yum.

:smile:

I used to eat a lot of curries back when I lived in SF.

But when I moved to Sacramento and went to an Indian restaurant, I was shocked. Where was the vindaloo? The rogan josh? The masalas?

Turns out, the places I went to in the Bay Area were all Northern Indian/Pakistani restaurants, while the predominant cuisine here in Sacramento is Southern Indian. But I lucked out because there are 2 great northern restaurants near me. One serves Punjabi-style food and the other is Pakistani. The Pakistani restaurant (Shaz) has some of the best naan I have ever tasted; a crisp, buttery outer layer and a soft inner layer - and it comes to your table straight from the tandoor. The best bread product I have ever tasted.

When I eat the curries, though, it makes me glad I live alone. (And it makes my cat wish she didn't have such a great sense of smell.)

I used to eat a lot of curries back when I lived in SF.

But when I moved to Sacramento and went to an Indian restaurant, I was shocked. Where was the vindaloo? The rogan josh? The masalas?

Turns out, the places I went to in the Bay Area were all Northern Indian/Pakistani restaurants, while the predominant cuisine here in Sacramento is Southern Indian. But I lucked out because there are 2 great northern restaurants near me. One serves Punjabi-style food and the other is Pakistani. The Pakistani restaurant (Shaz) has some of the best naan I have ever tasted; a crisp, buttery outer layer and a soft inner layer - and it comes to your table straight from the tandoor. The best bread product I have ever tasted.

When I eat the curries, though, it makes me glad I live alone. (And it makes my cat wish she didn't have such a great sense of smell.)

The original Indian Restaurant in the Bay Area were the N. Indian/Pakistani spots. Both Milpitas and Berkeley hold some of the first places that came through to the Bay. Now after the 2000 Dot Com Boom/Burst, there was a MASSIVE influx of S. Indian people which meant tons of small S. Indian eateries opened up. Most of these places cant even get a Sambhar right or even Bhaji right for Dosa...Now personally the only S. Indian food I eat is the stuff my mom makes and not the places around here. But if I want good N. Indian food there's lots of good selections out here in the East Bay.

I have just started to experiment on making my own curry sauce, rather than just buying one of the ready made types. (Which are yummy too.)

Got a variety of Tesco "curry powders" and have started with a basic water mix, then adding cornflour to thicken at the end.

First time was a near disaster, the cornflour went off the spoon in one lump and went splosh into the mix and went lumpy. Much sieveing somewhat averted the calamity.

So, I bought a small sieve and used that, much better but the curry was a bit too hot using two heaped tablespoons of powder.

So who makes their own curry sauce or do you buy in ready mades?

And any suggestions or recipes (simple ones)?

:smile:

Jacobfox;n1084252 said:
This is why I am very pleased that I paid 1100 rupees for a combination mixer, blender and spice grinder. This way, our housekeeper/cook here in jaipur can grind us fresh masalas every day for everything. I think she's making khichree for breakfast, which I'm pretty excited about because she's rather good at that.

I agree with you. Spice makes food more tasty and spice grinder is necessary for almost every kitchen, I think:lol:

Holy Bumpfuck!

I have made curry ketchup.

Attachments

• 635484A6-7FA3-4D3C-84F5-6DD072586B04.jpeg
    635484A6-7FA3-4D3C-84F5-6DD072586B04.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 156
  • 687B7782-626F-45BA-BAEB-A1E2FC6BCD62.jpeg
    687B7782-626F-45BA-BAEB-A1E2FC6BCD62.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 152
  • 5B10E18B-1729-476B-B5E6-7142B7A6FFA2.jpeg
    5B10E18B-1729-476B-B5E6-7142B7A6FFA2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 149