"The Expendables", could it be the most epic movie of all time?

Bloody hell! I'll keep this spoiler-free, so let me put it this way:
If you like southern rock, gunfights, martial arts, one-liners and the celebration of the death of other human beings, this movie goes to eleven. There are no words for it's epic awesomeness. If you don't like any or all of the above, you are not reading this thread anyways.

I am going to pay money to see this film again once it's officially released. The fight scenes are not editing hack-and-slash like in a Michael Bay movie, but cut in a way that actually lets you figure out what's going on, the acting and writing (and humour!) are spot on, i'll give it nine out of ten points. As far as mercenary/lone soldier against an army action movies go, this movie is rivaled only by "Commando".

Bruce: "What's his problem?"
Sly: "He wants to be President."

Bloody hell! I'll keep this spoiler-free, so let me put it this way:
If you like southern rock, gunfights, martial arts, one-liners and the celebration of the death of other human beings, this movie goes to eleven. There are no words for it's epic awesomeness. If you don't like any or all of the above, you are not reading this thread anyways.

I am going to pay money to see this film again once it's officially released. The fight scenes are not editing hack-and-slash like in a Michael Bay movie, but cut in a way that actually lets you figure out what's going on, the acting and writing (and humour!) are spot on, i'll give it nine out of ten points. As far as mercenary/lone soldier against an army action movies go, this movie is rivaled only by "Commando".

Bruce: "What's his problem?"
Sly: "He wants to be President."

Dr_Grip, I hate you for nothing more than you have seen this movie and I have not. You may be the nicest person in the world. But the fact that you have been allowed to witness such awesomeness when others are left to await our turn is frankly NOT $@#%@#$ FAIR!

However +rep for being a lucky bastard.

Part 4 of 5 of the behind the scenes: Sly's fight scene with Stone Cold Steve Austin! :mrgreen:

No, this wont be the most awesome movie of all time, but very, very, very close. Want to know why? Because it lack Segal and Van Dame. :)

Brilliant! Are you coming to the Ringmeet? We could discuss the movie while no one else has seen it :p

Sadly no, can't get time off from work. Though that would have been awesome, us two raving on about the movie while everyone else is slowly going out of their minds :mrgreen:

Part 5/5 of the behind the scenes series:

Initial reviews are in. Supposedly it's rather crap. :(

Critics also hated Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. What do they know.

Also, fuck them that's why

Critics didn't like Predator when it first was in cinemas either. Now it's considered a true action classic.

Did anyone really expect the critics to say anything else? I've stopped paying attention to movie critics ages ago, they all talk rubbish.

Of course it is. It's a 80-style action movie that has one-liners instead of character development, manly friendship between men instead of real-word interaction between characters and the celebration of war and especially the killing of fellow human beings where other movies have a plot.

There is nothing in the film that a traditional critic would look for and that's what makes it great.

And every Berlin-based publication that gives the film a bad review will receive a letter from me saying: "I've been to the press screening and saw YOUR critic laughing and cheering with everyone else. Bloody liar is concerned about his reputation."

EDIT: Brother Michael will see it tomorrow night - let's see what he thinks.

Last edited:
And every Berlin-based publication that gives the film a bad review will receive a letter from me saying: "I've been to the press screening and saw YOUR critic laughing and cheering with everyone else. Bloody liar is concerned about his reputation."

that is awesome. +1