The F1 Technical Developments Thread

Newey doesn't f**k around, does he? That f-duct system once fully operational will make the mclaren system obsolete.

Newey doesn't f**k around, does he? That f-duct system once fully operational will make the mclaren system obsolete.

If by "doesn't fuck around" you mean be one of the last major teams to get the system then no, he doesn't.

If by "doesn't fuck around" you mean be one of the last major teams to get the system then no, he doesn't.

Yeah, I love comments like this, seeing that McLaren pretty much has a perfected system, and this is derived from a photo (not even a comparison shot to the McLaren system, just to humour us).

Lol. No system will be better than McLaren's cos it's an integral part of the car, not just bolted on bits. It's just like the DDD's.

http://img97.imageshack.**/img97/6347/rb6cockpitaylgholeturks.jpg

Red Bull's cockpit activation for the f-duct (no, that's the only picture I have, so dunno where exactly it's located but in FP1 I saw Vettel move his left hand off the wheel to the left, just like Alonso).

I think it is blocked by their left wrist as opposed to the back of the hand.

I imagine there is only so many places to put ducting around the crash structure. They pack things pretty tight in an F1 car.

Ferrari's original system was said to be "automatic" (in that it only worked when the car was traveling in a straight line and both inlets were receiving equal air, as opposed to a turn when one inlet would be "starved"), but that might not have worked to plan or because it was not driver-controlled, the FIA might have privately put the kebosh on it.

Last edited:
Watching Vettel in Free Practice his hand still had to come off of the wheel to use the duct, but he was able to keep his hand in position close to the wheel to react if need be. I'd say it was safer that the Ferrari one but nowhere near as good as McLaren's.

Wow that made me a good chuckle. I'd rep you if I could but apparently I need to spread it around. :lol:

Lotus have recruited tech staff from an Indian force of some form.
Mark Smith will take over as the team's technical director, Lewis Butler joins as chief designer and Marianne Hinson will be head of aerodynamics.
Team owner Tony Fernandes said: "I am honoured that these fantastic talents have put their faith in Lotus, and see the very bright future we have."
Lotus are yet to win a point since returning to Formula 1 this season.
The three new recruits have all worked with Lotus chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne at other teams.

They were told to change their rear suspension arms, apparently, as they were at a 20 degree angle, where the regulation allowance is 5 degrees. I only skimmed over the tidbit of news while browsing 'the other forum', but it was there. Don't really know the entire details, therefore, I don't really even know what the implications were.

They were told to change their rear suspension arms, apparently, as they were at a 20 degree angle, where the regulation allowance is 5 degrees. I only skimmed over the tidbit of news while browsing 'the other forum', but it was there. Don't really know the entire details, therefore, I don't really even know what the implications were.

It wasn't the suspension arms, it was sections of the difuser.....

Hell like you'd have 20 Deg of anti squat! lol!

Still an unresponsible place to put it.

I'd say it was safer that the Ferrari one but nowhere near as good as McLaren's.
Watch an F1 race from the 80s, or, for that matter, any touring car or WRC event - the driver's have to take one hand off the wheel constantely to shift (with a H-pattern layout in some cases!), even in corners. There should be no problem with taking a hand off the wheel on the straights.

It wasn't the suspension arms, it was sections of the difuser.....

Hell like you'd have 20 Deg of anti squat! lol!

Well, you're kind of right and I'm kind of right as well. The bits weren't removed, they were covered. But they were suspension bits:

From PaddockTalk

Red Bull Ordered To Change Diffuser, and Rear Suspension

Yet another element of Red Bull's pace-setting RB6 had to be modified ahead of last weekend's Turkish grand prix.

After Monaco, we reported that McLaren had identified a part of the 2010 Red Bull's rear diffuser that did not conform with the regulations and had to be altered in the Principality.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport now reveals that an element of the rear suspension was changed at Istanbul Park last weekend.

The report said the elements in question, hidden behind six burly Red Bull mechanics on recent grand prix grids, were aerodynamically shaped and at a 20 degree horizontal angle rather than the allowed five.

In response, Adrian Newey's design team reportedly shrouded the parts with round tubing in order to nullify the downforce-producing effect.

Watch an F1 race from the 80s, or, for that matter, any touring car or WRC event - the driver's have to take one hand off the wheel constantely to shift (with a H-pattern layout in some cases!), even in corners. There should be no problem with taking a hand off the wheel on the straights.

Not looking to start this argument again, but I would say there is a bit of a difference between having your hand off of the wheel for half a second and the full length of a straight.