The Final Gear Wine Society

I'd like to recomment a Riesling, believe it's called 'Docken'. Very nice, dry wine. Love it.

Not really into wines myself, perhaps I'll start. (I'm still new to the whole being able to buy my own alcohol, stupid hardass country.) A friend brought some very old bottles to our New Year's party. We still have no idea how old they were, at least 20 years I'd say. Old enough that the corks just crumbled when we opened them. They smelled like Captain Morgan and tasted like grape juice. :lol: None of us really remember much after that.

If anyone is interested, the guys up in Napa say that 2006 is going to produce some of the best wine to ever be made. Apparently you had to actually be trying to make a bad wine. When the Napa 2006 wines hit you local stores, you might want to buy them up and age them for a few years.

I recently became a big fan of Jest Red, a seven-grape blend from California. It goes for $8 at grocery stores, but unlike most wines of that price doesn't taste cheap or pre-oxidized. Someone once described it as Manischewitz done right, fruity without being crap.

If anyone is interested, the guys up in Napa say that 2006 is going to produce some of the best wine to ever be made. Apparently you had to actually be trying to make a bad wine. When the Napa 2006 wines hit you local stores, you might want to buy them up and age them for a few years.

alot of wines do their best within a year or two after bottling and some should age for a bit it depends on the wine.

That's a good bit of news to hear. I've noticed a considerable degredation over the past couple vintages from that area. I've stuck to Lodi and Paso Robles wines recently, (I.E. Seven Deadly Zins, Wild Horse Zinfandel, Ravenswood, etc...)

Woodbridge Sauvignon Blanc (Lodi) is my usual table wine, it's very inexpensive and very good for what it costs, but even it took a bad turn in 2005. I had to run around and stock up on cases of 2004 to try to bridge the 2005 gap because it was so different.

If this 2006 Napa thing is true, I fear that I'll be a bit lighter in the wallet than most years. :)

It really depends on the wine maker. Some wineries make their wines to lay down for 10 years or more, some are made to be consumed immediately. I know Andretti's whites are supposed to be opened within about two years of release, but the reds can lay down for as long as 10 years; that's straight from the vineyard.

If you really want to know how a wine will age, get yourself a Clef du Vin and do some tastings. I swore the thing was a joke until one of the guys who worked there demonstrated it to me.

Most of the stuff I can afford (well all I think) is to be drunk young. I am not a great fan of the Californian Wine we get here at the price point I can buy at but I am sure that they do some good stuff too. Just had a chat to my Oz mate and he reckons that in fact the Wolf Bass Black Label and Yellow label wines are really good, my bad memory got confused. He did not like the Banrock Station stuff availiable over her tho'.

One small point as we have no home grown wine industry to speak of we get stuff from all over the world and the choice in even the local Super Market would amaze fellow Europeans.

Yellow (and all of that brand->pink etc) are average, not bad not good.

For normal drinking, I love the Australian Penfolds wine... but if Blind_Io is right, we better order a box, drink half and keep half :D... plus I'm surprised no one here likes Pinot Noir, one of my fav. of all time :D

So what's with the "I'm With Stupid?"

I've always been a beer-drinker, but I love to drink a glass of red wine from time to time. To drink it yes, I never tried describing how it tastes. But inspired by James and Oz (just began watching the series), I bought myself a bottle today. And I'm going to try catching some of the basic flavours that are supposed to be in this wine. It's a French wine, from Domaine de la Muscadi?re (C?tes du Rh?ne, vignerons de Chusclan). There are 4 grape varieties in this wine. Sounds rather complex :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll post some tasting notes here. :p

I'm still waiting for episodes 1 and 3 to download, I have the rest but I want to watch them in order.

I'm still waiting for episodes 1 and 3 to download, I have the rest but I want to watch them in order.

Oh, you'll enjoy it alot. I think the director was trying to make them out to be some quasi-gay couple, but get past that and it is pretty educational. Hell, I gave this series to a wine ponce and he learned alot from it. And he is a US distributor for some French brands of wines! :blink:

Ok now i don't mean to advertise, but my restaurant is hosting a wine dinner for castello banfi on april 12th. We actually have the VP of banfi coming in to speak, if anyone is intrested please pm me.