The Final Gear Wine Society

Maybe I'll post some tasting notes here. :p
Well, that's actually pretty damn difficult. I could say I taste Raspberry, and spicy herbs and tobacco and all that stuff. But all I taste is that it's a pretty good wine (for what I'm used to) with a nice aftertaste (not too bitter).

Guess I have to practice this more often.

So right now I am drinking a most excellent wine. It is called 7 Deadly Zins, and it goes down in 3 parts. The winery gives the best description:
Soft, supple pepper and licorice-clove notes merge into a sinful marriage of deep, brambly blackberries and lustful cherries. The finish is clean on the palate with hints of rich vanilla, cocoa, and mild tannins.

It floors me how it is 3 sensations in one swallow.

Picked this up at Trader Joes for around $14.

*puts on list*

Check, I'll pick that up next time I'm at TJ's.

After a few more wine tastings, I've come to the conclusion that Argentine wines rocks. Ichanka and Proemio are two vineyards that stand out highly. Ichanka's cabernet and torrondes (a crisp white) give off scents of soft cheese and fine potpourri, while Ichanka's malbec and chardonnay are both solid. I've relegated my second bottle of Jest Red to cooking duties only, as it has no lingering aftertaste like a good wine should.

I've got a lovely wine from South-Africa. It's a 2004 Millstream Cinsaut Ruby Cabernet. It smelled just magnificent, I got excited about this wine even before tasting it. I'm pretty sure that it smelled like ripe fruit. Taste is good too, very pleasant, not as good as the smell though. Aftertaste isn't the strongest point for this wine, it doesn't leave much of a taste actually. But hey, at least it's really smooth, no bitterness or anything :)

The nice thing about this wine is it's price: ?3,20 at my local supermarket. I think that's a bargain. If this wine is available in the UK too (I think it is), then I can wholeheartly recommend it (if the price is roughly the same).

WS_146.JPG

Last edited:
Too much wines I could recommend from France and Italia so I'm going to say
Yellow tail cabernet sauvignon from Australia. I discovered this wine in Germany while looking for a good strong red wine that could go with our Chili con carne.
And it did very well, not complicated , simple , and strong enough for the chili we had, it wasn't trying too hard with different smells and flavours (and for 8 euros it's very competitive) .

cabernetsauvignon.gif

After a few more wine tastings, I've come to the conclusion that Argentine wines rocks. Ichanka and Proemio are two vineyards that stand out highly. Ichanka's cabernet and torrondes (a crisp white) give off scents of soft cheese and fine potpourri, while Ichanka's malbec and chardonnay are both solid. I've relegated my second bottle of Jest Red to cooking duties only, as it has no lingering aftertaste like a good wine should.

Argentine malbecs are frankly brilliant. They manage to run the gamut from very earthy and tannic to fruity and balanced. I like them as much as a comparable pinot noir or merlot and the prices (due to the devaluation of the Argentine currency a few years ago) are great.

i've decided i want to splash out on a couple botles of Dom Perignon but for the same price i can stock up on many bottles of like, asti and some very nice wines for the next few dinners (it is a wonderful; thing to buy a wine, taste it, and build a meal around the wine for a change) . so anyone have any experience with D-Peridizzle, and i mean actually has an intelligent wine pallete not "all that champagne crap tasts the same"

my friend works at the wine shop and gets 44% off, so through her i can buy 2 or even three bottles. one of which will be chugged at a party for shock value mopst likely and others will be enjoyed on New Years and after w/e dinner happens to be esp good.

EDIT sorry for the bump, i wanted some lengthy opinions and random thoughts changes topic too quickly

my friend works at the wine shop and gets 44% off, so through her i can buy 2 or even three bottles. one of which will be chugged at a party for shock value most likely.

For that much of a discount... that sounds like a really funny idea :lol:

If you ever get a chance to try anything from Rutherford Hill, I highly recommend it. So far nothing I have had there has been less than extraordinary.

blind, are you a fan at all of French/German/Argentenian/etc wines?

blind, are you a fan at all of French/German/Argentenian/etc wines?

To be honest, I have had very few French or Argentinian wines. I've had a couple Spanish wines and they have been excellent. Since I live so close to Napa, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, and the Russian River Valley I tend to discover domestic wines. I actually go to the wineries out here and do tastings.

Thread revival!

So a few nights ago I had a glass of Calina Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, from Chile vintage 2002. Excellent wine; it was very peppery, very dark fruit like but, and here is the real kicker...no aftertaste whatsoever. None.

No finish? How boring!

i'm going wine tasting in the hunter valley again early next week with the fam. i'm not excited by this, i've never tolerated wine, the only one i liked gave me tummy aches.

anyway, if a miracle happens and i like one, FG will be first to know. my sister picked up a nice bottle from a cellar door in hunter valley garden village, and we all built a meal around the wine. it was very enjoyable...well for them anyway :p

No finish? How boring!

Not quite. The finish was slightly alkaline for a split second, then dissolved to nothing. Better than a bad finish, as that would be very memorable, I suppose.