The Final Gear Wine Society

I'm getting more and more interested in wines these days. Especially after some real nice wine tasting in Tuscany. Most of the wines from the Tuscany region are made mainly with Sangiovese, a grape I had some bad experience with in the past. As it turns out because too cheap version are almost always BAD (too much tannine, often sour). But in Florence, supermarket Chianti Classico's at >?8 were fantastic.

Another grape I'm exploring at the moment is Carm?n?re, mostly grown in Chili. Even the relatively cheap Casillero del Diablo Carm?n?re (from wineproducer Conchya y Toro) is wonderful, although the alcohol is not hidden very subtly. Can anyone recommend other Carm?n?res?

Carmeneres was thought extince, but found in Chile in the 80's when winemakers were trying to pass it off as Merlot...It has many similar characteristics to Merlot, but is much more complex. Any example outside of Chile may be fake.

I'm getting more and more interested in wines these days. Especially after some real nice wine tasting in Tuscany. Most of the wines from the Tuscany region are made mainly with Sangiovese, a grape I had some bad experience with in the past. As it turns out because too cheap version are almost always BAD (too much tannine, often sour). But in Florence, supermarket Chianti Classico's at >?8 were fantastic.

Another grape I'm exploring at the moment is Carm?n?re, mostly grown in Chili. Even the relatively cheap Casillero del Diablo Carm?n?re (from wineproducer Conchya y Toro) is wonderful, although the alcohol is not hidden very subtly. Can anyone recommend other Carm?n?res?

Carmeneres was thought extinct, but found in Chile in the 80's when winemakers were trying to pass it off as Merlot...It has many similar characteristics to Merlot, but is much more complex. Any example outside of Chile may be fake.

Joins FG Wine Society.

:wave: to all the other Winos wine drinkers.

Rioja - Spanish reds:
I am a fan of the oak flavoured types, but I think those tend to be more expensive types.
Tend to go for the ?6 a bottle variety form Tesco.
:)

Just noticed this thread, My parents make wine from scratch and I've always wondered about my mom's rose hip wine.

I don't like the taste of any wine but is rose hip wine rare or generally well liked?

How the hell do you make wine with rose hips? Are they added to the fermenter with juice, to make a wine with rose-hip flavor? My Grandpa made wine for years, and a few of my relatives also make wine but I have never heard of rose hip wine. Perhaps it's like ginger wine, or rice wine which is wine only in the sense that it is alcoholic.

Last edited:
OK guys, I just had a really unusual wine experience. We were at my grandparents' condo in the mountains for some skiing and my dad and I found a 1983 Caymus Cab. We were really concerned that it had been wrecked because of all of the changes in temp in the cabin. It turned out that it was drinkable, but it was VERY acidic. Tasted great with a steak, though, but clearly not as good as it could have been if we knew we had it and if the previous owners of the cabin had taken care of it. Bummer. Still tasty, though.

Joins FG Wine Society.

:wave: to all the other Winos wine drinkers.

Rioja - Spanish reds:
I am a fan of the oak flavoured types, but I think those tend to be more expensive types.
Tend to go for the ?6 a bottle variety form Tesco.
:)

I may do the same.

I've always liked beer, but here in America, unless you know where to go and hunt it down, we generally get the 'meh' stuff.

For beer, I go for ...God help me...Killians Irish Red.

But since watching the Oz and James wine stuff, I have started drinking more wine. Especially white, to be specific, the chardonnays.

I found a decently priced white called Fetzers. About $8.99 a bottle, not too bad really. They do make an 'oaked' version, but not sure I like it. Woodbridge isn't that bad either.

Last edited:
Season?s greetings to the FG Wine Soc., I got a bottle of 2001 Muriel Gran Reserva Rioja from my brother for Christmas.

Not heard of or tried it before, but it has an embossed crest of the vineyard, raised on the glass of the bottle. Oooooh, fancy! :)

This thread doesn't have enough activity.

I've recently decided I need to find a good bottle of wine for some casual drinking here and there. I'm quite a novice when it comes to wines, but I tend to prefer sweeter reds. Unfortunately, I'm also a poor college student.

Can anyone make recommendations for an affordable wine I can find in the middle of Ohio?

Merlot or Chianti would be a good start, there is also Port which is cheap, sweet and underrated. You could go to a blush, but you don't want to do that. I'd go for California or Spain, perhaps try a Great Lakes wine, those tend to be very drinkable.

As for a particular wine, not sure how sweet you want it, for sure you can find a Ravenswood Merlot or Virgin Vines Shiraz at any Wal-Mart for under $10. In Ohio you may also be able to find Tabor Hill, Round Barn, or St. Julian any of their house reds should be pretty sweet and affordable.

Last edited:
I've developed a love for sparkling wines lately. Haven't found a particular one I really, really love, but the ones I've tired have been reasonable.

And I can't find damm Zinfandel anywhere near my area.

Last edited:
Spitfire you want a Argentine Malbec, completely forgot about it. Can get a decent bottle for $10-$20. Sweet, smooth, dark fruit flavors.

Spitfire you want a Argentine Malbec, completely forgot about it. Can get a decent bottle for $10-$20. Sweet, smooth, dark fruit flavors.

I fucking love Malbec. It's delicious with a nice ribeye with confit garlic mashed potatoes and white asparagus. It's my new affordable meat wine, having overtaken Pinot Noir's from Oregon or California.

Last edited:
Ah, but Pinot Noir, Sideways, and a hipster girl will get you laid every time.

I know it's terribly brash, cheeky, and completely self-indulgent...but I really want to buy a bottle of this:
340x_whitesnakeredbottle_450.jpg

At $29.95...

Shit white wine seems to work everytime for me, Gewurtz, Reisling, Chardonnay, etc. To be honest I'm not a big wine cocktail person. I can stomach most sickly sweet whites. They all love the sweet crap though. And apparently if you want to appeal to the redneck women you can buy Whitesnake wine now.

Shit white wine seems to work everytime for me, Gewurtz, Reisling, Chardonnay, etc. To be honest I'm not a big wine cocktail person. I can stomach most sickly sweet whites. They all love the sweet crap though. And apparently if you want to appeal to the redneck women you can buy Whitesnake wine now.

To be honest i hate white wine unless its extremely dry, or sweet for a reason ie. dessert wines. They never seem to have any balls, or depth of flavor and don't work with anything except for very light flavored foods. Riesling is a great choice for spicy Indian food though.