The FOOTball thread

Ahead of Liverpool v Manchester United on Sunday.......

:rofl:

And so, it's official: Qatar 2022 will indeed take place in November and December, specifically between November 21 and December 18.

Getting back to the Qatar World Cup discussion, it is now more or less official that it will not take place in June and July, as FIFA's Secretary-General announced in a radio interview that it will have to be held in the time period between "November 15 and January 15". To me, that means the de facto time window opens around Nov. 12 (a Saturday) and closes around Dec. 18 (a Sunday).

:p

Last edited:
That's the worst; it somehow manages to disrupt every Euro league and the MLS postseason unless we agree to start our season two to three weeks early.

I do hope it's United who sign this young man from Fulham.....

Seems like Klopp may be leaving Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season, official news conference imminent. Bookies already have him as favourite to take over from Pellegrini at Man Shitty.

Yeah, that was the top news story here today even in mainstream non-sports-centered media.

Sad to see him go but on the other hand, but to be honest, over the past months (this season was quite abysmal for Borussia) it really seemed like his magic was gone. The team's playing style has been decoded by most of their opponents for two years now, and they never really adapted to that.
And Klopp came across as increasingly grumpy since last autumn. Must have made for a really fine working environment.

I wish him all the best, but can't imagine him at a rich-man-toy-club like Manchester City. And I hope Borussia really signs Tuchel as a successor.

The BBC TV football guys were saying today the Man C want Pep Guardiola, but he is unavailable.

Pellegrini looks like he will be going, as another UCL failure, no title repeat and no Cup.
And the team aren't playing well and loosing odd games that they should win.

Some may want to abandon ship because it's unclear what the future holds, some others may be sold because they disappointed. A new coach typically has some ideas about what style of football he wants his team to play and what players he needs to do that, so...

There are rumours about Hummels leaving for the Premier League, and G?ndo?an may be headed... somewhere, England or Spain most likely. They would be the most valuable players who may leave.
Also Mkhitaryan, Joji?, Immobile and Ramos may leave as they are disappointments so far. On the other side, perhaps Tuchel has better plans for them than Klopp did. Personally, I want to avoid judging a player by this season, because the whole teams was just terrible.
In addition to that, Weidenfeller may have to go/end his career - in which case I hope Langerak will stay as No.1. If he doesn't get that chance, he has to leave for somewhere where he can be that and we'll need a new No.2 in addition to the new No.1. In fact, as great as Weidenfeller has been over the past 13 (!) years, I think he is well past his prime. Strangely, he plays significantly worse than before since he finally got into the national team last season. The popular theory is that he wants to emulate Neuer's style of play, but can't pull it off.

That's as far as the rumours go as far as I know. I'm just looking forward to a new beginning, no matter who will stay, go or come.

Interesting, thanks Dan. :cool:

(Maybe we have a "Summer Transfer Thread", for ALL Euro leagues, if things start to look interesting or very busy? :think:)

No triple for Bayern! :)

They just managed to retire from the German Cup in the semifinal by missing all of their penalties in the penalty shootout against Borussia Dortmund - Lahm and Alonso missed in absolute identical (and funny) fashion, G?tze's shot was warded off by Langerak, Neuer hit the post. The Dortmunders just had to convert two of theirs, missed the third (Hummels - clearly the influence of him having played for Bayern earlier in his career ;) ), never had to take a fourth...

Certainly not the most beautiful win for Borussia, but the most hilarious thing I've seen in football in quite a while. :D:D:D

Now, please Bar?a, kick them out of the Champions League, too.

Oh, ah yes.... *chant* BERLIN, BERLIN, WIR FAHREN NACH BERLIN! (traditional German football fan battle cry with regard to the Cup final in Berlin)

No triple for Bayern! :)

They just managed to retire from the German Cup in the semifinal by missing all of their penalties in the penalty shootout against Borussia Dortmund - Lahm and Alonso missed in absolute identical (and funny) fashion, G?tze's shot was warded off by Langerak, Neuer hit the post. The Dortmunders just had to convert two of theirs, missed the third (Hummels - clearly the influence of him having played for Bayern earlier in his career ;) ), never had to take a fourth...

Certainly not the most beautiful win for Borussia, but the most hilarious thing I've seen in football in quite a while. :D:D:D

Now, please Bar?a, kick them out of the Champions League, too.

You made it to the final! :cool:

Oh, ah yes.... *chant* BERLIN, BERLIN, WIR FAHREN NACH BERLIN! (traditional German football fan battle cry with regard to the Cup final in Berlin)

Similar thing here, the Supporters of every team that gets to the latter rounds sings
" .. we're going to Wembley, ..." to the tune of Que, sera-sera - a Doris Day movie tune from the 1950s. :lol:

One last hurrah for Klopp. Even if Borussia don't win the Cup. :lol:

The BBC TV guys were suggesting that maybe the Liverpool owners could want him, to get them back into the UCL and STAY there every year. (Like the old days.)

:think:

United have confirmed they are to sign Memphis Depay subject to a medical once the transfer window opens in June. :dance:

This is good news, not just because of one player but because they are demonstrating real intent to be decisive and proactive in the transfer market.

I remmember him, he scored a goal for the Netherlands during the World cup in Brasil. A sub I think.

So what about RvP and someone to help him or replace him? :think:

So, fifagate...
Corruption at top FIFA level? I feel a Nicolas Cage meme around the corner...

I would very much like for this to bring about the fall of Sepp Blatter. But I'll believe that when I see it and not a second before.

However, the timing of the whole thing and the parties involved are curious...

In other news, German relegation (3rd last of the Bundesliga vs. 3rd best of the 2nd Bundesliga) is happening right now, and so far its looking good for the underdog (Karlsruher SC).