The FOOTball thread

And the US wins it all! What a game that was, even if it was decided so early. Good on the Japanese team to not give up, kept it from becoming a Brazil-Germany type of rout.

Now to see if the men's team puts up a good show at the CONCACAF Gold Cup...

Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger.......

United signalling serious intent for next season, especially since with Rudimental Failcouch and Van Persie departing they need at least one new striker and more defensive reinforcements. I can't see the Ramos thing happening but I expect they will test Levy's resolve to hang on to Harry Kane as well as going for Otamendi and another keeper of course if De Gea leaves for Real.

Well, you guessed the city he was moving to...

Yeah but I'm puzzled as to why United didn't grab him when they had the chance. His stats show he is actually better than Ramos and certainly better than playing Blind out of position although with Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger the holding midfield role should be more than adequately covered and perhaps Blind will adapt to being more of an out-and-out defender.

As for the Pedro thing it's hard to tell whether United missed out or genuinely had concerns and therefore didn't activate the release clause some weeks ago. Priority now has to be a striker and possibly another fast winger - for all the BS I think Rooney is past his prime and would be much better served playing behind a main striker than leading the line himself. Ten days for Woodward to pull something awesome out of the bag...... tick...tick...tick.....

I always knew that the fans of Borussia Dortmund are a little insane - but a sold-out stadium, meaning about 82,000 people attending, at a farewell game for a former player? That's awesome. Dede obviously is still very much appreciated in this town. :)

So a week or after almost buggering off to Real Madrid David De Gea has just signed a new 4 year contract with United with an option of a fifth year. :dance:

It does make me wonder whether United's management sent the transfer paperwork through deliberately at a time when they could be seen as having "done all they could" but late enough to scupper the deal although if they did it was a bloody big gamble on a player free to talk to other clubs in January about a free transfer the following summer.

Hoping it sends a message to Real, Barca et al that United are nobody's feeder club.

Chelsea beaten by 10 men stoke after Hazard's penalty is saved!!

And he is valued at ?70 million!!

Last edited:
Friday 6th November 2015
FA Cup - First Round

Salford City 2-0 Notts County

This was the first game played in the FA Cup 2015 last night, live on TV.

Of interest is the fact that a T7 pro-am club like Slaford have beaten a T4 fully professional team like Notts County, a typical early round FA Cup "giant-killing".

However, Salford City FC also featured in a very interesting documentary on the two preceeding nights on BBC:

Class of '92 - Out of Their League - BBC iPlayer

This was made because Salford City FC are owned by the famous Manchester United Class of '92 of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Phil and Gary Neville.

It was a good match to watch and Salford well deserved the win! So, well done to them.
(EPL teams join the FA Cup in round three.)

(Tier T1 = EPL)

EDIT:

Sunday 8th November 2015

FA Cup Round One R1

Gainsborough Trinity 0 0 Shrewsbury Town - in progress

BBC Stats:

Gainsborough Trinity FC have never been promoted or demoted from their current league in Tier 6 in 142 years!

Shrewsbury Town from Tier 3, last progressed to round three R3 of the FA Cup in 1882.

:lol:

The Fa Cup is very old!

Last edited:
But that also means DeGea stays. Which is more important

Press saying today that Real are confident of getting the ban overturned and will be back in for De Gea in the summer. We shall see.