The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Last edited:
Because of the brackets it's addition first, division second, multiplication third.

6 / 2 x 3 = 9

(notice 2 + 1 is already solved)

That is an interesting question. I'm inclined to go for 1.

I would have said 1, but I hate maths. This just makes me want maths to go away and die even more. :lol:

I thought 9 but I have not done real math since I was 17. :lol:

It's an ambiguous equation that would require clarification in any situation that matters. This xkcd sums up this kind of question perfectly:
words_that_end_in_gry.png

I think this explains why I never saw that "divided by" symbol in all my years of math .... always fractions. At least after elementary school.

I think this explains why I never saw that "divided by" symbol in all my years of math .... always fractions. At least after elementary school.

I have few of those in my university (of appalling sciences) math book. Always on pages that are full of stuff and don't have room for fractions. It sucks, because it only complicates things.

Last edited:
It's an ambiguous equation that would require clarification in any situation that matters.

"Ambiguous" isn't really the right word, since there's only one correct way to parse the equation. Certainly easy to misinterpret, though (I thought it equaled one at first, as well), so I agree that it'd be best to clarify if you actually wanted to use an equation like that.

"Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology."

..is my reply to the last page.

Last edited:
images

(To those guys, not the fine people of Alabama. Unless they think that way too. Then, fuck 'em)
Being from alabama I think I can speak for the state. We don't think that way. We think there should be a bake sale to help people. Covered dishes. We will pass the collection plate around. Please don't make change in the collection plate :)

Last edited: