The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Different conventions. Normally something banned = diagonal red band.

I want to see one that bans horses from taking a dump while driving a Bugatti Veyron and smoking a cigarette.

Bet that would be beyond even Blayde.....

Actually if I had that much in the bank and on the basis of the interest they would be earning I'd be really hacked off at that percentage to get at my own money.

I guess at this stage, you stop caring about getting fucked by ATM fees:
9XIuB.jpg

Somehow I feel like my math isn't right with this but...

I check the APY for capital one. It's 1.10%. So 0.011 * $99,864,731.94 is $1,098,512.05.

1.1 million per year.... in interest. Is that right?

now-youre-thinking-with-portals.jpg

1.1 million per year.... in interest. Is that right?

Assuming you get 1.10% on that account, and the interest compounds yearly, and there are no other withdrawals; your math is spot on. But since they got hit with a $2.75 fee from a Capital One ATM, the money probably isn't with Capital One.

There was a debate on gawker, where I found the picture, about how long it would take the person to earn back the bank fee in interest:

Okay!
Smartpig.com offers 0.50% APR for balances over $50,000, so let's use that rate.

At $100mil, he makes $500,000 a year in interest alone. And, thanks to Rent, I know there are 525,600 minutes in a year.

So he makes $0.95 a minute. So long as his ATM transaction took longer than 2:54, then yes.

He DOES make back that much in interest. :(

I'll stop now.

Yep that's sort of my lifelong pipe dream. Get myself into a situation where you just live on interest. I'm a lazy person.

I can't help but think that was their intention, that they made a movie to cater to the original fans of Toy Story 1, the kids who had grown up to become college students. As a college student who saw the first TS in theatres, I can say confidently they hit that mark very well.

Absolutely agreed, but as I sat there with my 5 and 6 year old nieces I was kind of horrified by it. They're probably too young to realize how heavy it is, but in my head I'm thinking how to explain impending death and giving up and waiting to die to them over ice cream.

Homina homina homina

homina_homina_homina_812.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say striking it through is a better convention, given things such as colour-blindness.

Every circle around a circular sign is red with a white center, no other colors used for that shape. As long as you can distinguish red from white you will be fine.