The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Allright....let's do a little test.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/br/brothermichael/2009/08/05/Untitled-4.jpg

Two of the squares are "Red Reinvented" and two are "Cherry Desirable". Can you spot which is which ? I also think the whole "human eye can't spot the difference" is rubbish so now we'll see.

Top left and bottom right are the cherry one.

Last edited:
The ones diagonally across from each others are the same. Cherry desirable is bottom right and top left. But I see no difference in the picture shad_68 posted...

^^ Really?
090805difference_Kopie.jpg

That looks like one color to me.

^^ Really?
090805difference_Kopie.jpg
So can I... and I'm partialy colourblind... :lol:

I think the two colours are different... uselessly different, but different all the same.
In the 1st pic where the two are compared its hard to tell, you'd have to move one block partialy over the other to see a difference.

You know that you're looking at an sRGB image, not a Lab image... with an uncalibrated monitor. You can crank up the contrast as much as you want.

I direct your attention to the thread title.

You know that you're looking at an sRGB image, not a Lab image... with an uncalibrated monitor. You can crank up the contrast as much as you want.

Thank you. There is no way the monitor I'm using is more accurate than the human eye. I can see a difference with what is on screen, but those can't be the actual colors.

cowcat.jpg

I'm sorry, I thought this was the Funny Picture Thread, not the 3rd annual PANTONE Color Imaging Convention at the Airport Marriott in Schenectady, NY.

Last edited:

That's so mathematically geeky, I love it. :lol:

Which reminds me of a little video (in Romanian) on a similar subject, where the bodyguards at the entry in a club don't allow people in unless they answer a Maths-related question. Two guys get it right, then a blonde comes along and she's asked "what's the square root of 4?" She says "6", bodyguards look at her and say "Close enough... get in." Then a more geeky-looking guy walks in, and what do they ask him? Lagrange's mean value theorem. He starts saying it, gets it right almost all the way, but then... f(b)-f(a)/(b-a) = f(c). The bodyguards ask him to say that bit again, he still says it.

One of the bodyguards says "You idiot, it's f'(c)!" and picks him up and throws him out of the club.

a) you guys need to calibrate your monitors
b) fuck off with your perfect colour vision :cry:

Allright....let's do a little test.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/br/brothermichael/2009/08/05/Untitled-4.jpg

Two of the squares are "Red Reinvented" and two are "Cherry Desirable". Can you spot which is which ? I also think the whole "human eye can't spot the difference" is rubbish so now we'll see.

Oh, I think I got the answer.

Is it Denmark? :p
I?ll get my coat.