The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

Okay, bring on your water boarding jokes: :lol:

Bushwater.jpg

Cheyneywb.jpg

The point is you douse yourself in ice water and donate 10 bucks or don't and donate 100 (or more, but that's the minimum).

So far, about 75% of the non-celebrity ones I've seen don't even mention ALS in the video, or even in the description. To them, it's more like the cinnamon or Saltine cracker challenge.

Meanwhile in where, California? :(

Meanwhile in ... you name it. Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Haiti, Rwanda, etc.

EDIT:
Here's a little table for reference: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Health/Drinking-water-availability-%25

I know it's a bit outdated, but not much has changed.

Isn't the idea you donate anyway?

The ice bucket thing is more about making people aware of the charity through a viral video and making other people wet in the process.

Because if you chose the bucket over the giving to charity, it's kinda pointless isn't it?
The point is you douse yourself in ice water and donate 10 bucks or don't and donate 100 (or more, but that's the minimum).
This. A lot of people are doing it in order to avoid paying more to charity, even if they can clearly afford to give the $100 minimum. So they're insulting the large population living with water scarcity or without running water in order to avoid paying for medical research.

So far, about 75% of the non-celebrity ones I've seen don't even mention ALS in the video, or even in the description. To them, it's more like the cinnamon or Saltine cracker challenge.
This too. The whole thing lost its meaning along the way too. Almost nobody mentions ALS or what the challenge is about anymore, not in the videos or in the description, so it's no longer the "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge", but rather the "Ice Bucket Challenge". Makes you wonder if some of the people that did it along the way actually donated anything.

Last edited:
Up until now, I assumed it was some dumbass Internet thing and didn't know about the connection to some charity.

Let me get this straight... if we save water in developed countries, suddenly Africa gets more water?

No, but putting a whole wave of videos on the internet of people wasting clean drinking water for no apparent reason than to be cheap is a slap in the face for people in countries where clean drinking water is hard to obtain and/or very expensive. And yes, a lot of these places have access to the internet, and to cellular phone services but limited access to drinking water.

Up until now, I assumed it was some dumbass Internet thing and didn't know about the connection to some charity.

It is a dumbass internet thing that acts to shame people into giving more money while getting sheep to do it to themselves.

It is a dumbass internet thing that acts to shame people into giving more money while getting sheep to do it to themselves.

Which is precisely why I'm ignoring it entirely.

No, but putting a whole wave of videos on the internet of people wasting clean drinking water for no apparent reason than to be cheap is a slap in the face for people in countries where clean drinking water is hard to obtain and/or very expensive. And yes, a lot of these places have access to the internet, and to cellular phone services but limited access to drinking water.

Yes, if I was in a place where there's little something, I'd be going online and watching people wasting that something.
Say money. I live in Portugal and we are going through a rough time. Trust me I don't go around youtube browsing how rich people waste their dollars in needless things.

Donations this time last year - about 2 million
This year - nearly 50 million

And that's why I like the whole deal. It's not necessarily about the one challenged donating, it's about the awareness raised. Who cares if someone donated $10 instead of $100 if they brought in $1000 more in the process? Sure, they could have donated the $100 on top of the challenge (and I'm sure at least some do), but meh. Focusing on the slightly negative ruins your mood. Don't do it.

You crazy kids these days and your viruses. I'm literally on the internet right now and don't know what you're talking about.

And that's why I like the whole deal. It's not necessarily about the one challenged donating, it's about the awareness raised. Who cares if someone donated $10 instead of $100 if they brought in $1000 more in the process? Sure, they could have donated the $100 on top of the challenge (and I'm sure at least some do), but meh. Focusing on the slightly negative ruins your mood. Don't do it.

What bothers me is seeing half of my non-U.S. friends who do it and don't even mention donating or what the cause is. They simply say the ALS ice bucket challenge. I'm sure there are at least a few of them who don't know what ALS is, and only do it because it is the cool thing to do. I get that idea from reading the comments on their videos - a great majority of them show no understanding of what the challenge is for.

That being said, I agree with you that it raises awareness (despite the ignorant mentioned earlier). Both KISS and Def Leppard did the challenge on stage and donated $10,000 to the cause.