The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
I took a little ride on Spectre's 919 tonight. Holy crap that thing is fast. Like, so fast I can't imagine you can ever use that much speed. I just thought about accelerating and I was doing 60 down a side street. It also had a nearly dead battery, so when I killed it at a stop sign I had to push start it, which was interesting. It also didn't help that the adjustable brake lever is broken, so it wasn't allowing me to brake properly, the rear brake lever was bent in so I couldn't find it with my boot and the shift lever is loose and in the wrong position for me. Oh, and the clutch pivots on more axis than it should. Short version: Probably the scariest thing I've ever ridden combining the power with the faults. I am looking forward to trying it again once it has been all fixed though.

I also am starting to actually like my Nighthawk 750, which means I need to sell it ASAP.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
I took a little ride on Spectre's 919 tonight. Holy crap that thing is fast. Like, so fast I can't imagine you can ever use that much speed. I just thought about accelerating and I was doing 60 down a side street. It also had a nearly dead battery, so when I killed it at a stop sign I had to push start it, which was interesting. It also didn't help that the adjustable brake lever is broken, so it wasn't allowing me to brake properly, the rear brake lever was bent in so I couldn't find it with my boot and the shift lever is loose and in the wrong position for me. Oh, and the clutch pivots on more axis than it should. Short version: Probably the scariest thing I've ever ridden combining the power with the faults. I am looking forward to trying it again once it has been all fixed though.

I also am starting to actually like my Nighthawk 750, which means I need to sell it ASAP.
A short video of when you came back with the bike:

Edit:

Hondas, Hondas everywhere...

Last edited:

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia & Fabia
I did my first ride this year, yaay!
The season is officially open for me :)
I hope the weather keeps up with the sunshine.

This also means I have to start purchasing some parts. New handlebar, get the seat reupholstered, new side cases etc.

Kiki

Registered Bone Marrow
DONOR
Car(s)
'13 Ford Taurus, '11 Ducati M696, '15 Yamaha R3
Magna! Comfiest bike to fall asleep on!*

*Not from prior experience. *coughs*

That reminds me of when I first got the SV - I was stopped going upwards on a hill and the rear brake did not engage fully. The whole time I was thinking, "Why am I rolling backwards?" Needless to say, we drained the rear brake the next day.

Which reminds me of the following random moto thought: one of the best ways to deter moto thieves, change your shifting to GP shifting. I'd love to be there to watch that.

Last edited:

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Fiat 500 1957 Edition
Ugh, not looking forward to 2 feet of sludgy, grey snow when I'm back in MA at the end of March.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
This also means I have to start purchasing some parts. New handlebar, get the seat reupholstered, new side cases etc.
you just had a whole winter to sort all that out!

Joker19583

Car(s)
'91 Honda NTV 650 Revere; '09 Citro?n C3 1.4 Hdi
Not enough power to keep it up. only chance is to rev to the max, let the clutch fly and get it on the pivoting point, then accelerate slowly until it gets sort of stable. But the cylinder count could make that extremely delicate.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Not enough power to keep it up. only chance is to rev to the max, let the clutch fly and get it on the pivoting point, then accelerate slowly until it gets sort of stable. But the cylinder count could make that extremely delicate.
Tell that to the millions of delivery boys doing that. :p

Igor

I did my first ride this year, yaay!
The season is officially open for me :)
I hope the weather keeps up with the sunshine.

Your first ride of the year? I never stopped riding, haha... and no I don't live in southern California either. ;p

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
Some of us have this stuff called "snow," you may have heard of it. It tends to cover the ground over a great deal of the US this time of year and makes riding two-wheel vehicles somewhat treacherous.

Rossco

Car(s)
05 Saab 9-5, '99 Yamaha XVS650A, '07 Suzuki DL650
Some of us have this stuff called "snow," you may have heard of it. It tends to cover the ground over a great deal of the US this time of year and makes riding two-wheel vehicles somewhat treacherous.
Hang in there Blind! It can't be too much longer for you guys.

How are the road surfaces in Utah atm?

Kiki

Registered Bone Marrow
DONOR
Car(s)
'13 Ford Taurus, '11 Ducati M696, '15 Yamaha R3
The roads weren't too bad last week - due to the cage being in the shop, I had to take the bike up into the ski resort to go to work. I'm glad that I learned how to ride by sliding the rear. :lol:

Lots of the cars still had snow (had to dodge a lot of ice coming off the cages) and my gear and bike are all salt-crusted now (we had barely got out of late winter storm). Ugh, leather and salt don't mix. :(

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
That would be an issue, but I doubt it would age any worse than conventional foam armor. Plus, it would be inside the gear, so UV exposure wouldn't be as big a problem.
True. I guess it would be a non-issue, especially inside of leather gear.

Short version: Probably the scariest thing I've ever ridden combining the power with the faults.
Sounds like my kind of vehicle! :lol:

My VFR is getting a whole laundry list of parts too. Fluids, filters, grips, plugs, brake pads (and fresh fluid), front tire, chain, rear sprocket. Plus I still want to go to a round headlight and digital gauges. Oh and paint it again.

I saw that and thought, "Wow, the 919 is pretty small ... " Then I remembered that CJ is like 7 feet tall.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
I saw that and thought, "Wow, the 919 is pretty small ... " Then I remembered that CJ is like 7 feet tall.
:lol:

Yeah, I can even make a GL1800 look small.

In other news my last parts order for stuff for my nighthawk has come in. Going to put in a new clutch cable, new push cable and a pile of crush washers to hopefully stem the oil leaks.