The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Damn. I had surprising success plugging the hole left when the same thing happened to me. Of course, that was on a brand new $150 tire. Hopefully the rubber on that 700 isn't so expensive.

Plugging a tubeless motorcycle tire is a no-no except as a temporary emergency measure.

The rear Dunlop Arrowmax (the kind that's on there now) in 130/90B16 is on sale for $129.99 at CycleGear. They have a free road hazard policy on tires sold at their store now and I think I bought the last one from them. I've been going through my records looking for the receipt so I can call and see if it applies.

Let's hear it for Virgina for this piece of legislative awesome.

f you ride a motorcycle or bicycle, you probably know the frustration of getting stuck at a red light that just won?t change ? because the sensors under the street can?t detect your two-wheeler.

Two-wheel vehicles will be allowed to run those red lights, under certain situations, under a bill signed into law recently by Gov. Bob McDonnell.

House Bill 1981 will let motorcyclists, moped riders and bicyclists pass through red lights, as long as there is no oncoming traffic, after waiting 120 seconds or two cycles of the light. The law will take effect July 1.

This might not make up for the thousand-dollar speeding tickets, but it's a good start.

Yeah, curious to see what made you choose an older motorcycle that supposedly isn?t as good as the 919.

It is definetly nicer to have bikes with the same speed and behaviour in a group ride.
I was figuring the way to overtake a Vmax to enjoy the southside of the Kyffh?user yesterday.

IPlugging a tubeless motorcycle tire is a no-no except as a temporary emergency measure.
Well I was stranded in southern Missouri, so it was definitely an emergency.

14712_sqeal.jpg

Hope you did pick it up from CycleGear. I need a new front tire (good tread, but the tire is old) and I'm definitely going to try and get some kind of road hazard coverage on it. It's well worth a little extra money.

This might not make up for the thousand-dollar speeding tickets, but it's a good start.
That's fantastic. Hopefully that sort of legislation spreads. Anyone know how that lane-splitting legislation in Texas is coming along?

Two words - No TRAC.
Is it that invasive? Or just an unnecessary complication?

Last edited:
That's fantastic. Hopefully that sort of legislation spreads. Anyone know how that lane-splitting legislation in Texas is coming along?

Not great. The author of the bill is the chairman of the committee that the bill is currently languishing in. The people over on Two Wheeled Texans have started calling that representatives office to get it on the agenda. We've still got time but it needs to get moving now to get out before the session ends.

Is it that invasive? Or just an unnecessary complication?

Other way round. My 700 has TRAC, my 919 does not. This means that the 700 can be set up to be compliant while hammering down potholed city streets but prevent front end dive under braking. The 919 can't.

Not great. The author of the bill is the chairman of the committee that the bill is currently languishing in. The people over on Two Wheeled Texans have started calling that representatives office to get it on the agenda. We've still got time but it needs to get moving now to get out before the session ends.
Damn, I knew the Legislature down there was biennial but I didn't know they ran for such a (relatively) short time. Hopefully it will at least get off the table, but I suppose they've got bigger problems.

Other way round. My 700 has TRAC, my 919 does not. This means that the 700 can be set up to be compliant while hammering down potholed city streets but prevent front end dive under braking. The 919 can't.
Ah. I never knew what bikes Honda stuck it on, just that my VFR doesn't have it. If it did, it would probably be somehow broken anyway.

I'm not a motorbiker. So can somebody explain to me, what's the story with this particular biker?

First he couldn't get away from me fast enough, then he slowed down to the point I had to brake to avoid running into him, then he ducked down to reduce the drag, I presume (which really looks ridiculous), accelerated with what seems to be all the power he had, then switched lanes and braked hard behind a caravan.

And what's that noise? That cannot be healthy, when it's that loud at 220 km/h.

Last edited:
He's riding something small, crappy and either naturally or artificially limited in power. It sounds like a 250cc-or-smaller bike, which are usually not bad off the line but cannot accelerate for crap at freeway speeds. Off the line, even a 250 can humiliate 90% of the cars ever made... Right up until about 60MPH, when they run out of gears and the effective output falls on it's face.

We generally can't hear most of the sound of our exhausts at highway speed anyway, so it isn't a hearing issue for the operator (most of the sound energy goes out the back). He may have replaced the exhaust with an aftermarket one either for better (to him) sound or for ostensibly better performance.

My guess is dude thought he had more acceleration than he actually had available based on the surface street performance and looks of the bike. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

Basically, you encountered the two wheeled equivalent of some dork in a VW Polo BlueMotion who somehow managed to get a sport appearance and handling package on it. He's probably new to motorcycling.

Last edited:
He saw you and thought he'd better speed up then realised you were still right with him even though he was going faster than comfortable so he pulled over to let you pass. Of course he should've just been sitting in the slow lane to begin with, but whatever.

Well, my first thought was that his bike might be broken, sounding as sick as it does. But frankly sounds more like he tampered with it.

Fartcans on an old Civic or Corolla do have their equivalent for motorbikes too, you know. :p