The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I wonder if that's more US specific problem again.. Not that I've looked into this matter that much, but I've only heard good things about these more basic Suzukis. And the loaner I had was running strong at (indicated) 70k.

According to the GS twins forum, no, it's worldwide. It's 50k miles, not 50k kilometers, and not all of them do - but most will. Cellos here had his blow up, and Der Stig's blew up shortly after he sold it.

One of the more common posts on the GStwins forum classifieds is "anyone got a replacement engine in <country>, mine blew up."

Do they make lower handlebars or clip ons for the 919?

The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Uh, yeah, about any 7/8" handlebar bolts up to it and there are people that put clip-ons on them after an RC51 front end swap. However, the riding position is not compatible with clip ons with the stock front end. About as low as anyone goes is dead flat - the stock steering head is too low for lower drop bars to be very workable. The Renthal Ultra Lows are a popular retrofit among the more sport or track oriented riders.

A standard/naked typically has a lower steering head in relation to the seat to allow handlebars to be used and the 919 is no exception. I have a very nice set of low rise three-axis adjustable handlebars scavenged from an 80s Honda on mine.

Last edited:
The 650S has a much more aggressive body position than the standard 650.

I think the SV650 is acceptable for a beginner. Maybe not the best, but a good compromise.

I kept mine for 5 years/70000km, and still kinda miss it sometimes.

Spotted this pristine with only a couple of decent mods CBR600F2 at a local dealer in the service parking area.

It literally looked brand new.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Also, I read "600F" as "GOOF". :lol:

So my friend is selling her Ninja ZX-6 and she tells me It's ok to start with that. Of course it's not, but I'm surprised how did she manage to move straight from riding license to that thing. And she made it 4 years ago when we used to learn in Poland on YBR's 250. I did mine on Gladius and I don't think I could go straight on such a machine. Other than that, this is 2000 in great condition, but aren't those 90's and early 00's Ninjas known for weak frames ? Or is it just a problem with stunt use ?

10270401_634386903308665_7542203832794785631_n.jpg

Last edited:
Riding a faster, bigger bike just after getting your licence is not a problem, but you'll learn faster and easier on a smaller, or rather, more forgiving bike.

Don't be stupid, everyone knows you get the biggest, baddest, most EPIC 600 sports bike possible and start off with. Anything else you will be bored with it after 10 minutes and will lose money when you go to sell it.

Went on a 160-mile ride along Canyon Lake and the Devil's Backbone today. The lake was closed for the season and everything was deserted, like The Road Warrior, and I thought Toecutter was gonna show up. Rode through a low water crossing and splattered the Motogutsy in mud. Listened to an awesome horror podcast the entire way there, which was great, cuz it was bright and sunny and a perfect time to learn about axe murderers. Met a Harley rider at a burger shack who hadn't seen a Moto Guzzi since Redondo Beach and he ended up giving me his number. Guzzis don't pick up chicks, they pick up middle-aged guys in Sturgis t-shirts.

Photos and such coming soon.

We don't want to see your new middle aged friend... :tumbleweed:

:p

Met a Harley rider at a burger shack who hadn't seen a Moto Guzzi since Redondo Beach and he ended up giving me his number.

My hometown is becoming yuppier by the day...

While most people have put their summer gear to winter hibernation, I'm doing test rides on partially frozen roads.. At this rate I might end up doing something silly..

The last week here was pretty nice and I was a bit amazed I did not see or hear many motorcycles out.

It still isn't too cold here yet. I'll ride until the trip home is too chilly (lower 50's F is where I draw the line).

We keep dipping into that range here. There have been periods where it was nice enough to ride (given your criteria), but it gets to the point where there is a diminishing window, and I think everyone had already put the bikes into storage mode.

Unless there is a risk of ice, I'm out. My Tour Master Transition Series 3 jacket is pretty much a mobile Summer home.

That. I used to ride until the highs got under 45. Layer up! It usually wouldn't freeze at night if it got that warm. Traction is still a joke when it's that cold though.