The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Seems like most of us qualify for the CanyonChasers Merit Badge of "Out of Gas... Hoof'n It." :D

Other notable badges are:

"Broken Bones, Far From Home"
"Engine Failure, He Done Blew Up"
"Four Seasons In A Single Day"
"No Hotel, No Campgrounds"

That's 3 out of 5 so far. :<

Yeah, I think I only qualify for like 3 myself.

Sigh... Much to learn and experience.

Four out of five. Thankfully have yet to actually *break* a bone though God knows I've cracked, bruised and microfractured them.

I've only done the 4 seasons in one day. Haven't run out of gas yet but I am totally paranoid about it.

What do you VFR guys recommend for motor oil?

Haven't run out of gas yet but I am totally paranoid about it.
I did it a couple times on my XL250, just because it could run for days on reserve and I'd completely forget to gas it up. Reaching down to flip it to reserve and finding it already there just makes you feel like a jackass.

Got the "broken bone" one, though I was only maybe 30 miles from home. And it was a broken finger. Truck bounced some gravel up and a piece nailed my right index finger to the throttle. Broke the middle bone, split the skin open. Cheap gloves I was wearing were near worthless. Not a fun ride home. And taking that glove off when I got home? Fuuuck.

I've been happy with Motul.

Seems like most of us qualify for the CanyonChasers Merit Badge of "Out of Gas... Hoof'n It." :D

:lol:
"Four Seasons In A Single Day" is the only one I got.
?I should have one for riding for 30 minutes with the choke on...wondering why the throttle response was so weird. :rofl:

I got half a bird strike.

I was leading the ride and spooked a bird, which then flew into the front wheel of my VFR which was being ridden by a friend. That counts, right?

I've been happy with Motul.
Thanks man. I'll give them a try.

Blind_Io said:
I got half a bird strike.

I was leading the ride and spooked a bird, which then flew into the front wheel of my VFR which was being ridden by a friend. That counts, right?
Close enough.

I'm gonna end up getting one thanks to the dumbass pigeons in my parking garage. Probably happen the day I find bird shit on my seat.

Damn, I got all 5 :|

I just crossed over 20,000 on my bike, meaning I've put just over 7000 on it in the year and the half I've owned it.
This weekend a new chain goes on, first time attempting it.

What do you VFR guys recommend for motor oil?

I run Shell Rotella T in all my bikes, it's motorcycle rated and costs about $11-13 at Walmart for a gallon.

I just crossed over 20,000 on my bike, meaning I've put just over 7000 on it in the year and the half I've owned it.
This weekend a new chain goes on, first time attempting it.
If your Honda has a center stand it's a breeze man.

I run Shell Rotella T in all my bikes, it's motorcycle rated and costs about $11-13 at Walmart for a gallon.
Shit. I might just do that. I'll probably be changing it again in a couple months anyway.

In other news, I think I may have a bit of an emotional attachment/Stockholm syndrome with my 2012 Super Tenere. A buddy of mine bought a 2014 with the improved engine mapping and a few other tweaks that smoothed out the vibes and after riding his I found I really liked that my 2012 is a lot rougher. But if you asked me if I liked smooth or vibey bikes I would say smooth...

I feel this way about the new Moto Guzzi Stornello.

Bottom-Stornello-900x919.jpg

Middle-Stornello-900x589.jpg

UGHHHH. It's basically the bike I want to turn my Moto Gutsy into. Goddammit.

I already have a white V7. :shifty:

I do want to make it more scrambler-ish, however...