The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Finally had some nice weather to test out the Sena 10C Pro while doing a quick shakedown run on the Multi.

Got some new earplugs:
mAQXCnC.jpg

Quite funky compared to my old ones:
gNpSBFC.jpg

Said old ones, for reference:
KRrK8J8.jpg

We'll see how they do tomorrow.

you're still in the US? how far can it have been :p

Well since our states are bigger than most European countries....

We did 1840 miles, which is just under 3000km in 3 days.

Got some new earplugs:

CanyonChasers is currently working on an earplug video, the script just went out for feedback from the crew.

CanyonChasers is currently working on an earplug video, the script just went out for feedback from the crew.

Well, first impression is negative: everything seemed louder this morning. Need to do a more thorough test, and a back-to-back comparison to be sure, though. If these do suck more than the Hearos, I might use them for cycling and sleeping.

The ST1300 needs some tires, I've been running the Beidgestones (T30). Anything new I should consider for a big bike like that, or just get the T31?

The ST1300 needs some tires, I've been running the Beidgestones (T30). Anything new I should consider for a big bike like that, or just get the T31?
Beigestones sound like tires hipsters put on their "scrambler builds".

:LOL: Autocorrect strikes again.

I just realized that I have completely neglected to post about the Monster.

The torque spec for the oil drain plug in the factory service manual has to be some kind of error, because it's WAY too much. This resulted in a cracked engine case around the drain plug.

This weekend, I completed my first engine swap (with some help from a few friends, who did some serious damage to my beer stock). The 696 has a new zero-miles engine and it's currently down at our local shop to be treated to a dyno break-in.

My favorite thing: it fired and ran on the first try, so I'm reasonably sure I didn't fuck up.

I just realized that I have completely neglected to post about the Monster.

The torque spec for the oil drain plug in the factory service manual has to be some kind of error, because it's WAY too much. This resulted in a cracked engine case around the drain plug.

This weekend, I completed my first engine swap (with some help from a few friends, who did some serious damage to my beer stock). The 696 has a new zero-miles engine and it's currently down at our local shop to be treated to a dyno break-in.

My favorite thing: it fired and ran on the first try, so I'm reasonably sure I didn't fuck up.

You expect Italian documentation to be accurate? :lmao:

If you have room for it, consider fitting a Fumoto drain valve.

I will say this for Ducati, they do the best wire and hose routing diagrams I've ever seen in any service manual.

I'm not sure how the error happened on the torque specification, but we now have a spare engine that I can take apart and see about getting welded. My friend is a top notch welder and has experience fixing much worse damage in aluminum castings.

Another possibility for the 696 is a single sided swingarm conversion. But probably not for a while.

I will say this for Ducati, they do the best wire and hose routing diagrams I've ever seen in any service manual.

As well they should, since they're very happy to make EVERY SINGLE WIRE IN THE HARNESS BLACK.

It's traditional for Ducati. Der Stig recently learned I wasn't kidding when he went to replace his Multistrada license plate mount and light and found that this was exactly the case.

Also, were they not smart enough to make the drain port a separately replaceable part? On the 919 if you somehow manage to bugger up the drain port threads or crack the area around it, you pull the exhaust off and pull the oil pan off. It's replaceable with the engine in situ. The swap is accomplished in well under an hour and after the optional sealant dries, you can ride it immediately.

Don't forget to check your state laws regarding engine swaps and registering the new engine number with the state as applicable to prevent overzealous law enforcement from confiscating your bike as stolen at a later point.

Most modern sport bikes don't have a separate oil pan, the vast majority have the drain threaded directly into the case. I think I've owned two bikes that had a separate pan, the ST1300 and a 1982 Magna.