The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Thanks again Spectre. :)
I think I'll just leave it as is for now then. I might look into fixing/replacing that stuff some time in the future, but for now I feel I've already spent enough money on it. /el cheapo

You know, the more I look at that seat, the less those look like scratches and the more they look like hard water stains.

Try a good vinyl cleaner.

Nobody has invented a reliable automatic mechanical choke and electric chokes require more power than it takes to run the entire rest of the bike (sans light).

My old Gemini (Opel Kadette?) had a choke that not many people knew about. Fully depress the accelerator before starting to engage it and tap the accelerator when at idle to disengage. Would that be considered an automatic, mechanical choke? It was pretty reliable considering the age of the car.

As you can see by my now slimmer car info on the left I'm no longer the owner of a motorbike. :cry: As part of my preparations for leaving the country I gave it back to my uncle who I got it from a few years ago. It was tough letting it go but I would have had to leave it here anyway and it's time to move on from a starter bike to something maybe a bit more powerful. There were great times and times when I wanted to run over it with my Land Rover but good old Maxine will always hold a special place in my heart.

http://img198.imageshack.**/img198/8316/001ad.jpg

In the spirit of moving on I'm going to make every effort to get a new scoot once I get to Okinawa. :)

Usually those were an electric choke.

Gotcha. I had the impression that an electric choke required no input from the driver (like on newer cars, it just does it's thing) and the fact that it was connected to the accelerator made it seem mechanical.

But in Australia you don't usually have much use for a choke. ;)

ABS, radio, heater, reverse gear, heated grips, GPS etc but no automatic choke. <_<

You could do an electric choke both ways - fully automatic or the driver had to invoke it by tapping the gas pedal.

It could have also been purely mechanical with a bimetallic strip or a vacuum choke, but that doesn't work out so well with bikes. Those usually only work if you have a single venturi or housing.

After a quick search, it appears to be electric...

Fuel System: Two barrel downdraft mounted on four-branch water heated aluminium intake manifold, electrically controlled automatic choke

Not surprised. The number of cars with an automatic mechanical choke is tiny... mostly because they usually didn't work.

Hey guys, I'm so cool I want to pay FIFTY-SIX DOLLARS for a Ducati t-shirt. :roll:

98755406_03G.jpg

98755406_04G.jpg

98755406_02G.jpg

Granted, it IS a pretty cool shirt...

...can I just steal one instead?

675 is such a gorgeous bike.. :wub:

Well I've ordered my gear and will be looking at a bike tomorrow. Wish me luck! If all goes well I will be a potential organ donor in just over a week.

Starter bike (125cc to 300cc or so) or something bigger? I would recomend some version of the Honda CB125 for a starter, easy to ride, simple, not desperately fast but not dangerously slow. Also cheap and easy to work on. Downside is plenty of people ride them so you'll be one of the crowd- but you could give it a custom paintjob. Rattlecan a-ok, hard to rice a CB! :mrgreen:

The problem with a CB125 (though I started off with one) is that you cannot ride them on the freeways. Not because of legal restrictions but because they're too slow. Honda ended CB125 sales in the US in the 80s.

No, I've been pointing him at the CB400/450 line (the one that descended from the CM185/200 Twinstar). They have enough power to get on the highway, but there's no weight difference over the debored CB/CM/Rebel/Nighthawk 250 cousins in terms of the engine, and it's just as forgiving and friendly as the 250s (which it should be, because it's the same engine only with bigger cylinders and pistons.) They're all but indestructible and Honda sold a billion of the bloody things before killing off their last US 450 twin in the late 90s. Please note that the UK 400-500cc Honda range bears little to no resemblance to the old US one.

Last edited:
I have been consulting with Spectre over PM. I haven't posted anything so as to avoid someone from snipping the bikes away from me.

675 is such a gorgeous bike.. :wub:

I saw one at the dealer yesterday, in that livery - couldn't stop oggling it before they rolled it in again (was just before they closed for the evening)... but then again, the same goes for the Speed Triple and Bonneville they had standing there too <3 :wub: <3
Oh, and occasionally at uni there's a Daytona parked too, black with gold accents... :cool:

Let's face it.. Triumph have been making some pretty bastard gorgeous bikes ..

Speed Triple in white.. Ohhhhh my..

speed_triple_fusion_white.jpg

MAY have a trouser accident.

^That is a pretty bike, but it sure does look chocked...

I'm now the owner of a Honda CB400t! I'm on the ferry at the moment so it'll be a bit before I have a thread up.