The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Yamaha owners of the world *would* unite... problem is that they can never all show up to a gathering at the same time as a significant percentage of them will not be able to attend due to relay failure. :D :mrgreen: :lol::p

Meanwhile, I've seen Hondas with parts of their electrical system literally SHOT AWAY make it to meets. :D

kimipom-img600x450-1219150847zhuybg.jpg

^ Lol, at least it looks better than the Busa. :p

^ Well, with that corrected I just want to say that it looks like my cousin is set to become just another motorcycling statistic.

I wish I could correct his arrogance, but, he's 21 and pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with him. He's twiddled around a bit with a few motorcycles on parking lots, and that pretty much sums up his experience thus far.

This past labor day I came over on my bike and he asked if he could ride it. I don't normally agree to such things, but he agreed that if he drops or wrecks it he's buying it for the price I paid so I thought what the heck. Now, he did pretty well, he didn't drop it or create any incidents--but the agreement was for him to just take it around the neighborhood for a bit. Instead, he went out and took it on the highway from one exit to the other.

Then on the way back he took it through a few turns requiring leans. So, when he comes back he's ecstatic and tells me "Man, I got this! I'm getting that CBR1000 for sure now!". Wow. This guy has had a lead foot for as long as I've known him and he pushes his S2000 very hard, he's hardly had any motorbiking experience, and now he thinks he's "got it" and wants to jump right onto a 1000CC super sport bike. Mmph...

Arrogance aside, I believe it's partly also due to peer pressure. A couple of guys in our circle (who have been riding for a few years btw) have recently got themselves 1000CC sport bikes as well and I guess the last thing he wants is to show up on anything smaller. I was initially supportive of his descision to buy a motorcycle but I'm afraid his attitude towards them is a bit too care-free.

^ If he survives the first fall, his casual attitude will change. Oh wait, you said he's 21. Nix that...

Hey Epoq, what is your take on the Ninja 650R? I might get that or an SV650 sometime in the next few months after I get a little bit more experience.

^I would say that the SV650 is a brilliant beginners bike..

Learning to ride a bike

Learning to ride a bike

Hello guys,
I'm already 21, I cant ride a bicycle but I really want to learn to ride a motorbike. do you think there's still a chance to learn or am I too old. I really crave fr a bike.

Hey Epoq, what is your take on the Ninja 650R? I might get that or an SV650 sometime in the next few months after I get a little bit more experience.
I think the 650R is a fantastic machine. The steering is light and effortless--you often forget that it weighs almost 500 pounds. At least until you drop it and try picking it up. (I had to learn that one the hard way... ;) )

Since I haven't rode the SV650 I certainly can't compare the two--I've heard some good things about the SV650 though. I would ask someone who's spent some time with both the 650R and SV650, and try visiting a dealer and sitting on both for a bit to see which one suits you best. I'm 6' and find the 650R fits my height perfectly. The sitting position is a bit more upright than the super sports as well, so long road-trips are a breeze.

And now the fun part... power. I think you'll find that the 650R doesn't disappoint in the power department and it easily puts a smile to my face. Actually, while it's not as crazy as the much bigger bikes it still has plenty of low-end torque. As long as you take it easy and don't get too throttle-happy though I think you'll be fine, especially since you mentioned you're already practicing on, I assume, a smaller CC bike right now?

And finally, it gets around 55 - 60 mpg if you ride casually, and it has very low emissions due to the way the exhaust is designed. So, it's more powerful and more "green" than a Prius, but it's tons more fun.

If you need any more details about the 650R, feel free to PM me.

Well, I'm not a motorbiker(yet), but I am becoming increasingly obsessed with this:
Street%20Triple_web1.jpg

streettriple_2008_01.jpg

StreetTriple-1280_000.jpg

I of course would start with something cheap and smaller, but I love this bike.

Hello guys,
I'm already 21, I cant ride a bicycle but I really want to learn to ride a motorbike. do you think there's still a chance to learn or am I too old. I really crave fr a bike.
You're never too old to learn. In fact I was your age before I ever took my first ride on a motorbike and I went on to teach myself how to ride. And really riding a bike is quite different from riding a motorcycle. I think motorcycles are easier because they do a better job of balancing themselves at slower speeds.

Hello guys,
21 is far from too old. I started when I was 23 and I think I'm doing alright. You may be too old if you were 65+, but 21 is a good age. Just be responsible about it and you should be fine.

He does need to learn to ride a bicycle first, though.

Well, I'm not a motorbiker(yet), but I am becoming increasingly obsessed with this:

snip

You have great taste sir. Saw one for sale the other day at ?5k and also a 2002 Monster S4 for ?2.8k. Going to take a test ride on both this weekend. If it is as good as it looks and what reviews say, I need to choose one and finance it.

Those green Triumphs are gorgeous...

^ Well, with that corrected I just want to say that it looks like my cousin is set to become just another motorcycling statistic.

I wish I could correct his arrogance, but, he's 21 and pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with him. He's twiddled around a bit with a few motorcycles on parking lots, and that pretty much sums up his experience thus far.

This past labor day I came over on my bike and he asked if he could ride it. I don't normally agree to such things, but he agreed that if he drops or wrecks it he's buying it for the price I paid so I thought what the heck. Now, he did pretty well, he didn't drop it or create any incidents--but the agreement was for him to just take it around the neighborhood for a bit. Instead, he went out and took it on the highway from one exit to the other.

Then on the way back he took it through a few turns requiring leans. So, when he comes back he's ecstatic and tells me "Man, I got this! I'm getting that CBR1000 for sure now!". Wow. This guy has had a lead foot for as long as I've known him and he pushes his S2000 very hard, he's hardly had any motorbiking experience, and now he thinks he's "got it" and wants to jump right onto a 1000CC super sport bike. Mmph...

Arrogance aside, I believe it's partly also due to peer pressure. A couple of guys in our circle (who have been riding for a few years btw) have recently got themselves 1000CC sport bikes as well and I guess the last thing he wants is to show up on anything smaller. I was initially supportive of his descision to buy a motorcycle but I'm afraid his attitude towards them is a bit too care-free.

Forgot to reply to this earlier.

I said this before, I'll say it again. Get as large a life insurance policy on him as you can afford to get. It's ghoulish, but it *will* help with the inevitable funeral expenses *and* make you rich when he becomes a statistic.

One of the more sure bets you can make.

Street%20Triple_web1.jpg

streettriple_2008_01.jpg

StreetTriple-1280_000.jpg

Stay away! Mine! I saw her first!

In white please.

Hello guys,
You're definitely not too old, I didn't really start riding until I was 21. Then again, I did have a fair deal of experience with bicycles. You could try jumping right onto a bike, but you it might be better to get something like a mountain bike first and get comfortable on it before you get a motorcycle. The way a 2 wheeled vehicle feels and works in corners in completely different than a car.

Stay away! Mine! I saw her first!

In white please.
Do they make those in white? Jebus ... I want one.