The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

^ Seconded. These are very wise words from someone who clearly has a real aptitude for motorcycle riding. (She's also my girlfriend). Now you have to go over the the introduce yourself thread (and maybe request the "Not A Dude" title)

Asianthology: budget the gear into the cost of starting to ride. Start buying gear now in the off-season when it's cheap (especially the warm-weather gear on closeout). Pick up used gear from online ads or open-box returns (but NEVER buy a used helmet!).

If you can't afford full gear with the bike, then you can't afford to ride.

Last edited:
Aww, shucks hon! :wink: And already did. :D

Yup- the sales are totally on right now with the offseason and a lot of the 2008 models of the different brands are being phased out, so you can start to budget for the gear. I remember when I started, I had no idea how much gear would cost until Blind showed me.

Here are some good sites:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
http://motostrano.com/ (they have an awesome outlet store)
http://cyclegear.com/ (kinda the one stop shop: kinda limited to what they have, but you'll be able to find most of the essentials)

Make sure to budget enough for a good set of starter gear - it will make all the difference in case of a crash!

And awesome Spectre! I also have the same tank bag (love it- 'twas an awesome gift from Blind when I first started riding :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest, i have once thought about whether to get a bike license. i like the idea of zipping through traffic during congestion. but i worry about cargo space.

i just got my car license today - which i consider by fluke, but i'm happy nonetheless.

Even on smaller bikes, storage space usually isn't a problem.

IMG_0147.JPG

Good looking bike!

^ Seconded. These are very wise words from someone who clearly has a real aptitude for motorcycle riding. (She's also my girlfriend).

[asshat] Your gf drives a beetle? :-| [/asshat]

Sorry, just had to!!

[asshat] Your gf drives a beetle? :-| [/asshat]

Sorry, just had to!!

No no no, I was waiting for that one! :D German engineering: overdesigned and underbuilt. *facepalm* That thing oversteers and understeers at the same time. :lol:

But it's cute, and it's cute, and it's cu- *I'll go in my corner now* :blush:

Erm, I guess that's why I have my bike...

Last edited:
Since my accident and due to nerve damage sustained, i have drop foot on my right foot and thus can't change gears.

Does anyone on here have any experience with an automatic bike/know of any decent ones? I've only ever really heard of the Aprilia Mana. It doesn't check out too bad and i quite like the looks.. Just wondering if anyone knows what, if anything else there is?

The only other auto bike that springs to my mind is the Honda DN-01. :think:

I have ridden the Mana, and it's a fantastic bike. The computer has several shift maps to choose from, but I like the Sport mode the best. You can also set it to a "manual" mode that is more like a flappy-paddle shifter, but I didn't find that as fun.

The Mana has great torque, a nice balance and killer looks (also, the in-bike helmet storage is way nifty). In Sport mode the transmission shifts perfectly, it lets the engine rev up and keeps the ride interesting.

I highly recommend taking one for a test ride. I think you will find the body position comfortable and the chassis set up well for both spirited riding and sport-touring. It's good in town too, the auto gearbox lets you concentrate on traffic more. I won't call this one a slush-box because the name just doesn't apply. The gear changes are crisp and well-timed, just like a regular gear box.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/11/15/aprilia-mana-8501.jpg

I was pretty impressed with the Mana. Because most of the boys were fighting over the rsv mille and the others, I was able to ride it for basically the entire demo day.

What really surprised me was how smooth it shifts (let's just say, I wish my car could have the same transmission). As Blind said, there are three modes: Sport, Touring and Rain. At first, I was iffy if the Sport mode on a automatic motorbike would be lively enough, but it turns out that it changed gears at exactly the right moment and was very light and flickable through the corners. Apparently, the top speed for my test ride 99.3 mph, which surprised the hell out of me since it was such a graceful ride. It is a 850 cc V-twin after all.

The only problem that I have with the Mana would its weight - 416.7 lbs dry. Added with a higher center of gravity and a 4.2 gallon tank, I had difficulty standing it up from the kickstand. Again, I come in at 5'7" and don't have a lot of upper body strength, so that may not be a problem for you.

In this pic, you see, I needed the help of one of my friends (who actually owns a Mana and loves it for the stop n' go Bay Area commute):

a11x09.jpg

Since my accident and due to nerve damage sustained, i have drop foot on my right foot and thus can't change gears.

Does anyone on here have any experience with an automatic bike/know of any decent ones? I've only ever really heard of the Aprilia Mana. It doesn't check out too bad and i quite like the looks.. Just wondering if anyone knows what, if anything else there is?

There were quite a few automatic Hondas in the 70s and 80s, up to 750cc.

There is also the 2010 VFR1200F which can come with an optional dual clutch automatic transmission. Then there is the Yamaha FJR1300AE, which is a paddleshift version of the regular FJR1300.

Thanks for your opinions you three! They are much appreciated.

I have heard nothing but good things about Mana's too to be honest. The urge to test ride one is becoming more and more prominent the more i hear about it. I will still bare consideration to other auto's and see what comes about.

I think i WILL have to go have a test ride. I just hope i don't bin the thing through lack of confidence seeing as the last time i was on a motorbike i departed via helicopter.

She found me... :-o