The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Ok just to clear this up, anything 50cc and under with an automatic gearbox. With that you can go to the local RMV, ask for a moped sticker (like $40) which is good for one year. With this you can operate a moped which conforms to said standards, as long as you stay in the bike lane (except to turn left) don't exceed 25 mph, and wear a DOT helmet and eye protection (common sense)
I think the source of the confusion here, is that the Mass RMV recently tried to make certain 50cc scooters, ones that were faster, pay more, and require insurance, etc. The problem? The RMV was too stupid to figure out which ones were capable of such speeds.

I was wondering about that as there were some that seemed to change their top speed 5 or so mph depending on what site I was looking at. Stupid RMV. :lol: That is useful though as it means I could probably get away with the ones that are 35/40 mph then.

I'm stuck with an awful chinese 50cc scooter for now which is restricted to 45kmh by very low gearing. Acceleration from a standing start is very good. it can leave most cars behind at the lights when they are accelerating normally, but they catch up quickly. Lots of fun can be had by throwing it into (small) corners at stupid speeds :mrgreen:.

Did you remove the throttle-stop in the carb?

I'm planning on riding the bike to Austin (San Marcos, whatever) this weekend. I'm heading out to Harris Hill Road - to visit, not to ride the bike - and visit some friends in Austin, etc. The trip is a roughly 3 hour drive (if I stick to the speed limit). Though I've spent 2+ hours on the bike in a day before, this'll be my first longer trip on it. It'll also mean more time at freeway speeds than I've done before. I know the route well (in the car). I drive it anywhere from 1 to 3 times a month. I'm planning on stopping frequently to give my muscles a break and I've become comfortable moving myself around on the bike, too, which should help. It'll be interesting.

There are a few back roads on the route to/from the track, but there aren't good twisty roads. I'm goin' through the flat part of Texas (my punishment for living in Houston). I'm figuring I'll run some of the twisty roads I know in/near Austin on Sunday morning, then head to the track and relax for a bit before heading home. I don't have to be at work until noon on Monday, so if the fun ride in the morning Sunday makes the long ride home Sunday "too much," I can ride home Monday morning. :)

Given past experiences with horseback riding and the like, I don't expect to have physical endurance issues, but I figure this is a pretty safe trip to test that on. My schedule for the weekend is really open and there's nothing I absolutely have to do, so if I do wear my self out I can just crash at my parents' until I head home.

Given past experiences with horseback riding and the like, I don't expect to have physical endurance issues, but I figure this is a pretty safe trip to test that on. My schedule for the weekend is really open and there's nothing I absolutely have to do, so if I do wear my self out I can just crash at my parents' until I head home.

LOL the only experience I got from horseback riding that proved beneficial on motos was that you mounted from the left, and you looked where you wanted to go.
I once did a 400 mile trip to the Kancamangus Highway and back in one day, with 90% of it on backroads, it was brutal, but worth it.

In other news, I have discovered that my poor Nighthawk was previously painted pink, :puke:.

Should I pick up a Honda Hornet while I'm over here? Seems like a reliable, sturdy if uninteresting UJM. And God knows I've dabbled in UJMs before. ;)

honda_hornet_s.jpg

My real love is a Triumph Scrambler, but they seem to be in the ?3500-4000 price range ($5-7k), while a decent CB900F is ?2000 ($3k). I'm keeping my eyes open for a W650, however:

triumph04032203.jpg

The GSR is gone... :cry:

Back home from my weekend in Austin on the bike. It was a tiring weekend. In addition to the rides Houston <-> Harris Hill Road, I rode the bike around Austin a bit, ran a few different cars on track, and did some instructing. Most of my soreness from the bike is in my wrists. It was a great weekend.

A friend of mine made this video on his new Ducati 848. This canyon takes off right out of Salt Lake City and serves a couple of ski resorts as well as hiking and mountain biking trails.

^Thanks for reminding me how much Indiana sucks.

Just one of the many services I provide.

Turns out the highway I rode in the Himalayas is in an episode of Deadliest Roads.

[we] are headed to the Himalayas and the ancient highways of India, where there is a casualty on the roads every 4.5 minutes.

...drivers are forced to cross the Rohtang Pass. Whether it's dodging landslides, rain or heavy snow; all-day traffic jams and weeks-long road closures, sometimes getting anywhere at all is too much to ask.

Don't watch the show myself, though.

Anybody here like Norton bikes? Thought this was a pretty sweet thing. A bit long though, so you might want so skippadeedoodah through it intermittently.

anyone who doesn't like (the looks of) norton bikes?

that vid has been featured 10ish pages ago :)

it's touching :boohoo:

Might be moving out soon, so my parents declaration of "If you buy a motorbike we will kick out out" will no longer apply!

If I could scrape together enough money for the CBT and my mate old CG-125 I might actually have some form of powered transport for the first time in my life...

[video=youtube;e_-M4Rt3NBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-M4Rt3NBs&feature=player_embedded#![/video]