The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Unfortunatly, I think he is serious. What is is failing to realize, is that it is not the governments place to protect us from ourselves, that whole personal freedom thing kinda gets in the way of his plan. Won't somebody please think of the children is not a good enough argument to control behavior.
In many respects the government does try to protect us from ourselves but banning motorcycles is just silly. It's a suggestion that doesn't even merit a serious response. If he wanted to make gear mandatory, well that would be fine and probably drastically decrease fatalities.

A politician giving misleading info? Who would of thought.

This guy is just trying to look tough against those that are seen as reckless while appeasing the old folks and anti motorcycle groups.
Yep. I love his statement that it's time for 'grown-ups' to step in and ban motorcycles. As if the gross majority of those who ride aren't 'grown-ups'. He provides no sources for his assertions and statistics, just spews them out. Whether they're correct or not, people will eat them up.

In other news, who wants a free subscription to Motorcyclist Magazine?

I'll let you know in 8 to 12 weeks whether this is legitimate, or whether my Social Security and credit card numbers have been stolen and that I am missing a kidney.

Man, that was absurdly quick.... :(

In other news, new Aprilia SR: the MAX. Which is a rebodied ______ _____.
sr-1.jpg

In many respects the government does try to protect us from ourselves but banning motorcycles is just silly. It's a suggestion that doesn't even merit a serious response. If he wanted to make gear mandatory, well that would be fine and probably drastically decrease fatalities.

Yep. I love his statement that it's time for 'grown-ups' to step in and ban motorcycles. As if the gross majority of those who ride aren't 'grown-ups'. He provides no sources for his assertions and statistics, just spews them out. Whether they're correct or not, people will eat them up.

The way he presents his statistics is completely misleading, too. Like saying "500 percent" instead of "5 times" as a way of invoking the HUGE and drastic difference. And besides, the motorcycle rate is aparently less than three quarters of a tenth of a percent. See how small that sounds.

Heads Up - Possible Michelin Pilot Road PR3 Tire Problems

Heads Up - Possible Michelin Pilot Road PR3 Tire Problems

Spotted this on another forum I frequent:
Cross-post from FZ6-Forum: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-...-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html#post410571

A guy's rear PR3 literally melts and starts chunking off while riding:

5794397648_2e568e6844_z.jpg

A few days later, after replacing it, the front shreds itself, resulting in this:

5852856081_4611d95be1_b.jpg

Michelin is "looking into it." This is the only incidence of this that I've heard of so far, but I'd encourage any of you guys running PR3s, especially in hot-hot weather, to keep an eye on them until this is resolved.

From pics at the original link, looks like someone at Michelin may have failed to do enough hot weather testing.

Also, from the rider after the rear disintegrated but before the crash:
"My air pressure was dead on. My treadwear was great. I hit no debris. There is no punctures in the tire. The rubber literally melted to the point that the lateral slits in the tire became gooey and by touching them could see straight to the belts. The rubber was literally falling off in hunks in some areas."

Last edited:
Wow, the rubber was melting away??? That is just ridiculous.

I've spread the word via Facebook to my riding friends. Thanks for letting us know.

Right now I'm very happy that I'm running Bridgestone and Kiki has Continentals.

Yeah, really happy I have Avons and Dunlops right about now.

I guess the Michelins surrendered to the heat. :p

Sign you are riding your motorcycle an appropriate amount: You go to your car near the end of the month to go pick up some bulky supplies that might be a bad idea on the motorcycle and right before driving away you notice that your inspection has expired. As of the end of the previous month.

Whoops.

Guess I've been riding an appropriate amount, then. I do go out and start and run the cars up to operating temp every week or so and move them around to avoid flat spots, but I guess I should drive a little more often than (apparently) once a month or so. :p

Last edited:
Sign you are riding your motorcycle an appropriate amount: You go to your car near the end of the month to go pick up some bulky supplies that might be a bad idea on the motorcycle and right before driving away you notice that your inspection has expired. As of the end of the previous month.

Whoops.

Guess I've been riding an appropriate amount, then. I do go out and start and run the cars up to operating temp every week or so and move them around to avoid flat spots, but I guess I should drive a little more often than (apparently) once a month or so. :p

Another sign you are riding an appropriate amount: you get in your car, start driving and have this nagging feeling that something isn't quite right. A lightbulb goes on in your head and you reach up to lower your helmet visor ...

a sign you aren't riding enough: you get on, and the first half hour you're wondering why your shoulder doesn't feel a seatbelt. and at every turn, you're looking for your mirrors which aren't there....

*Ahem*

"Vmax pic"

This will spank most sport bikes in a straight up drag race and it has the geometry to be very capable in the corners. Those ram-air scoops are hand-polished aluminum.

I'm sure it's a great bike, but nothing about it makes me want it. Les gouts et les couleurs etc :)

You should take a look at it in person and take it for a ride, it will rock your world.

Unfortunatly, I think he is serious. What is is failing to realize, is that it is not the governments place to protect us from ourselves, that whole personal freedom thing kinda gets in the way of his plan. Won't somebody please think of the children is not a good enough argument to control behavior.

Sadly I think you will find the world full of people who see that a little differently.......

To lower the tone.. Apologies.

A family friend was in a very bad motorcycle accident on Sunday, after being revived twice on scene, he died in the early hours of Monday morning.. Thoughts are with Carol, the rest of the family and little George.

News story: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/06/30/death-crash-rider-is-named-as-scott-illidge/

All the more reason to remember how precious life is guys.. and to be careful out there.

R.I.P Scott

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss Jon.

My condolences.

If there's anything I can do....