The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Avoiding the insurance company (and settling 'out of pocket') where possible is always best if you can afford it and there was no chance of significant injury. I wouldn't be that suspicious about it - as long as I got all their info and there was an accident report.

Last edited:
Welp, I can't go riding this weekend, because this happened:

4QRdOmO.jpg

A car hit me! :dance:

I'm fine, though, honest. I was lane-splitting and a Corolla swerved into a parking space and knocked me over at about 15 miles per hour. My right knee is scratched up, but I was ok. I even rode the bike back to my workplace. (Then, I took a cab home.)

Lkz9N3M.jpg

The right footpeg broke right off, so I can't really ride the bike. But it's all cosmetic damage at the moment. The driver was being polite and offered to pay out of insurance, so I've tallied up the cost of nine replacement parts and I'm gonna get back to him with that.

More gory details on my thread.

Having been hit by cars twice in mine, I can assure you it is probably fine. It's Italian, only it breaks itself.

And now I am aware of the existence of the Honda Metropolitan. so I want one. It's like a vespa but reliable.

Still don't need a bike by the way.

And now I am aware of the existence of the Honda Metropolitan. so I want one. It's like a vespa but reliable.

Still don't need a bike by the way.

It's a Ruckus with a body kit. No, really, it is.

It's a Ruckus with a body kit. No, really, it is.

I'm okay with that. Just another bike to consider should I get a normal soul-sucking commute

Having been hit by cars twice in mine, I can assure you it is probably fine. It's Italian, only it breaks itself.

Hell, I rode it from the accident back to its parking spot (one-legged, because the footpeg broke off :x). This thing's tough as hell, I've had it sitting for a month or two at a time and it still fired right up. (I work at a car museum. What's that like?)

A car hit me!

Glad you are uninjured. Be sure to document that the driver offered to pay (that means he took responsibility) - if you get any resistance on it at all, I would file with his insurance company.

Also, watch your knee for any signs of discomfort. Soft tissue damage often doesn't get noticed for a day or two, if you are at all in doubt then get in to see a doctor right away.

I was looking online and I couldnt find any information on how to clean a leather motorcycle suit. My suit had gotten very dirty, so I decided to make a video to show everyone how to clean a suit. The results really came out great when i clean up my white Dainese Laguna Seca suit. Check out the video and see the results. Hopefully this can help some riders get their gear looking good!!! This is the video of the suit that I posted last week being cleaned.

I wonder how many layers of dead bugs I need to scrape off my touring gear before cleaning it?

This isn't really a problem for me, considering both of my bikes are now equipped with huge-assed windshields.:D

I wonder how many layers of dead bugs I need to scrape off my touring gear before cleaning it?

I actually washed my Stealth Suit for the first time in a year last week. Of course, I got rained on returning from the Ducati Demo rides :lol:

Speaking of which... I rode the 899 Panigale, Hypermotard 821, Multistrada, and lastly, the Diavel. All were fun and my favorites were the Hyper and Diavel. If I had funds for a track bike, the 899 would be it. I wasn't planning to take the Diavel out, but boy am I glad I did. What a riot 162 hp is :D

The 899 Panigale was the first supersport bike I ever rode, and I was prepared to be uncomfortable, however, I was not prepared for the heat this thing puts off. The route we did was 35 minutes of primarily urban stuff, so that meant 35mph speed limits. That was horribly boring. It was waaaay hotter than my VFR (which is brutal at those low speeds/stop and go traffic) and the heat comes up through the seat and on to both legs, whereas my VFR just roasts my right leg and heat just starts to come up through the seat only after a 35 or 45 minutes. Once I mastered the seating position (pinch tank with legs, sit back a little, and use your core to hold yourself up--normal procedure, but far more important on a supersport), the bike was comfortable. The suspension soaked up the bumps just as well as my VFR and handling was precise, as you'd expect. Naturally, we only had about 2-3 good turns for me to explore the handling, but overall an enjoyable ride. It's a very refined machine and will fart around town just fine. No finicky clutch or gearbox. Can't say as I was a fan of the display; too much going on on a black and white LCD, it ended up looking like word vomit. I'm also not a fan of the Ducati ride mode change (I rode in Sport mode) as I like to spam the turn signal cancel button. When we got to the highway and I could open it up for 5 seconds, unnnnnnfff. The sound it makes over 5k RPM is <3 Having said that, I was happy to climb on to the Multi after that :lol:

AWnDxLn.jpg

The Multi was the best bike I rode Sunday. I rode in touring mode and could have smoked anyone there on it. Very capable machine, very refined. The ride was the best I've ever experienced, incredibly composed, yet soft, but not wallowy. Everything about it was great. Blind- I now share your love for this machine.

m1rYu90.jpg

I did not like the Hyper I rode as the engine surged heavily under 4k and the transmission was vague. I wish they had the larger 1100 available as the handling of the Hyper was the most fun. Definitely a hooligan bike--exactly what I expected/wanted it to be. I'll have one someday for sure.

h3ZLJ0j.jpg

The Diavel was goddamn awesome. I felt like the coolest motherfucker, despite wearing my spacesuit/full body condom :p I've never ridden anything with a 240 rear tire, so handling was interesting at first, but once I got the hang of it, no problems, even at low speeds. It was hardly a corner carver, but I knew I wouldn't care. It's a muscle bike! Everyone who rode yet said it was fucking awesome, so I had to try it. I have to say, I agree and now know why they are selling so well.

Nrc3fe1.jpg

JeTvil2.jpg

AMS Ducati is awesome. Very cool shop, here's some of the neat stuff they had inside.

Panigale R
3Lq9yMm.jpg

Superbikes
eDKJoF5.jpg

IJJiewm.jpg

In other news, I've bought a Roadcrafter off eBay, black with hiviz ballistics which should arrive later this week or early next week. With all the rain we've been getting, I'm keen to try it out.

KHlIklr.png

CrazyJeeper says I am now a suburban dentist who's car is a gold package Camry XLE :lol:

Last edited:
In other news, I've bought a Roadcrafter off eBay, black with hiviz ballistics which should arrive later this week or early next week. With all the rain we've been getting, I'm keen to try it out.

KHlIklr.png

CrazyJeeper says I am now a suburban dentist who's car is a gold package Camry XLE :lol:

You also need to now grow a grey beard, and cover the VFR's Saddlebags with about a dozen or so faded stickers.

You also need to now grow a grey beard, and cover the VFR's Saddlebags with about a dozen or so faded stickers.

Beard is gonna take awhile...Time to get the stickers out.

Everyday i think about getting a supermoto. I have been looking at them for a while, and I want one for the urban fun factor. Anyone wanna give me some of their info on the supermoto options. I was thinking a Yamaha WR250X, DRZ400, or Husky 610.....

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5077276262.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/5043921690.html

Yes. Do it. May as well go full retard supermotard and get an Aprilia SVX550

[video]https://www.youtube.com/FUoWXb0o3Fw?t=52[/video]

The only think i am worried about is...... that i hear on the bigger engine supermotos you gotta change the oil like every thousand miles and they are maintenance whores.

The only think i am worried about is...... that i hear on the bigger engine supermotos you gotta change the oil like every thousand miles and they are maintenance whores.

That's going to be the case on most high strung water cooled models. Almost all of them have very little oil capacity and lots of high revs equate to frequent valve adjustments. You will want to be changing the oil every 1000-2000 miles on pretty much any thumper though. Even the anvil like XR650L likes to have it's oil done every 2-3k. The only one I know of that you can really ignore like a street bike is the WR250R/x. That is basically 1/4 of the R1 engine and it has the best maintenance schedule that I know in that class.