The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming this was his 2nd or 3rd bike, but you're probably right.

It looks like there are now conversion kits to transform the Scout into a standard. Too bad they cost north of two thousand dollars (I can understand the cost).

In unrelated ramblings, are there any light shaft drive water cooled bikes on the market? I am not in immediate need to replace my Guzzi, but recent events has me considering other options in the next few years. And yes, chains are not an option.

It looks like there are now conversion kits to transform the Scout into a standard. Too bad they cost north of two thousand dollars (I can understand the cost).
Any links? Because that motor in a standard platform would be glorious. I keep hoping Victory or Indian will do something like that officially.

Wish they made mid-mount kits for my V-Star.:(

If you're willing to spend anywhere near that kind of money you could strip your bike to the frame and have a competent motorcycle shop figure something out for you. That would be a hell of a project just for mid-controls though.

Yeah, especially considering I only paid $700 for the thing.:lol:

:lmao: Hey maybe it will double the value of the bike then! Even if its not really feasible, its still neat to think about.

A 20-something lost control and crashed on Champlain bridge last night. His bike stayed on the bridge, but the rider actually went over the rails and fell into the St-Laurence river. He is of course dead :(

http://globalnews.ca/news/2080136/motorcyclist-thrown-off-champlain-bridge-speed-a-factor/

From the pictures on the various news site, he fell from the part that has a super-structure (so the highest part of the bridge).

Pont_Champlain_-_2010-10.jpg

Annnd that right there is one reason I really hate riding on bridges.

Annnd that right there is one reason I really hate riding on bridges.
Yeah really. I remember Blind posting something about a guy getting rear-ended off an overpass in the bay area. Lucky bastard landed like 50 feet below on a cargo van or something. Broke a bunch of bones but made a good recovery. Happy ending, I guess, but still fucking terrifying.

Shit made me think of those massive DFW area overpasses. I'd be paranoid as hell on them.

Yeah really. I remember Blind posting something about a guy getting rear-ended off an overpass in the bay area. Lucky bastard landed like 50 feet below on a cargo van or something. Broke a bunch of bones but made a good recovery. Happy ending, I guess, but still fucking terrifying.

Shit made me think of those massive DFW area overpasses. I'd be paranoid as hell on them.

I ride on those all the time, but I'm very cautious when I do. Do wish the walls were taller, though.

Yeah, never liked riding over the bridges in Chicago even though they were never particularly long...

Yep, that was back when I was living in California. A van hit the rider while he was on the Bay Bridge at the first exit, he was launched over the concrete barrier and landed on a van that was illegally parked on the street below. He was really badly injured and will never be the same again after that kind of trauma. He was in ICU for a long time and faced a very, very long recovery. I think Kiki knows more about his outcome.

We got a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 at my work this last week. Got to give it a good ride. Its super duper balls slow, but the handling is nice and the finish is good. Gave it a good coat of wax and sealant to protect the bike for the owner. Made a quick video.

Yep, that was back when I was living in California. A van hit the rider while he was on the Bay Bridge at the first exit, he was launched over the concrete barrier and landed on a van that was illegally parked on the street below. He was really badly injured and will never be the same again after that kind of trauma. He was in ICU for a long time and faced a very, very long recovery. I think Kiki knows more about his outcome.

Ayup - here's the entire story:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327985

Go back yesterday from a fantastic weekend in Austria. Went there for the annual TriDays event, but the most exciting part was riding over all the mountain passes.
Over the course of 3 days (that's incl going to the event in Neukirchen itself) we went over the Gerlospass (twice, the new one and the old one), Up and down the Grossglockner, across the Brennerpass into Italy and from there in one swoop we took the Jaufenpass (Passo Giovo) and Timmelsjoch back into Austria.
Having never been in the Alps before I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of it all. I definitely must go back.

On the way back we passed through the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse in Germany, going through long swooping corners, sometimes at speeds of 140-150kph on a heavily laden adventure bike. I decided to calm down when I started scraping pegs when I was already hanging off the side. :p

Footage of riding up and down the passes should come soon.

11428786_1178684135490526_2878162393704691154_o.jpg

About halfway up the Grossglockner.

10710380_967707889928590_6573397593809551739_o.jpg

At the top of the Timmelsjoch, just before the Austrian border.

Last edited: