The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Wait til I get my handlebar mustache transplant. And no, I haven't yet done a Distinguished Gentleman's Ride...my tweed peacoat is at the cleaners.

Not gonna lie, I've been itchin to do one of those rides.

My Cardo Q3 came in today. Outside of installing it and testing the Bluetooth connection to my phone I haven't put it through its paces.

It was painless to install and sync. The only annoyance was that it didn't come with an allen key. Thankfully I had a set (two if you include the one I lost).

The headphones are a little uncomfortable (a given considering that my helmet is snug inside as is), but I may become use to them in time.

- - - Updated - - -

I might add that the software is incompatible with Mac OS X 10.11, but it doesn't seem to be required so far.

Try using some small earbuds. CJ has a Q3 and I have the QZ and we both use Klipsch X10s when touring since they block out the wind and are small enough to not really get in the way. We also have Arais (RXQ for me, he has an XD3) with the stock speakers tucked behind the cloth so all we have to do is unplug them when we want to switch to earbuds.

+1 on the Klipsch image X10. I turned DS onto them earlier this year. They have been part of my essential touring gear for several years now. Sadly they are discontinued now and the Image X11 is $300 but they did release an Image X5 which is the same form factor in a much more reasonable price. On the speakers, mine are actually inside the cheek pad. After trying several locations, that one works the best for keeping them in place and sounding as good as those tiny pancakes can sound.

Wait til I get my handlebar mustache transplant. And no, I haven't yet done a Distinguished Gentleman's Ride...my tweed peacoat is at the cleaners.
:lol: You've got the right idea.

My brother wants me to get a suitably antique bike (I asked to borrow his evo sporty hurrhurr), throw on my dress blues and do a Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. Something like this:

KenNavyMotorcycle'46.jpg

Same here, but I'm neither distinguished nor a gentleman.
Don't let your dreams be dreams blah blah blah

:lol: You've got the right idea.

My brother wants me to get a suitably antique bike (I asked to borrow his evo sporty hurrhurr), throw on my dress blues and do a Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. Something like this:

I wouldn't. For one, please don't be that squid (sailor, not biker) and for another I'm not sure if that will be looked at nicely by whatever command you're at. Maybe you could get away with it in dress blues AND one of those stupid high vis vests they make military folks wear these days.

I wouldn't. For one, please don't be that squid

The DGR is pretty much the only exception where I feel not wearing full protective gear is OK, as the DGR is a ride through the city at very low speeds. (We topped out at 30kph)
I did get an appropriate helmet and leather gloves, but other than that I wore nothing but that suit you see in the picture.
For people who travel some distance to get to the DGR, the organisers usually have a place where participants can change into their gentleman attire and have a space where other gear can be kept safe until the ride is over.

I think there is a misunderstanding. I used "squid" to mean sailor, not Handz. As in "look at all those drunken squids in their dress blues!"

In other news, remember the guy with the 2004 CBR600F4i that racked up 200,000 miles?

Yeah, he just got it over 300,000 miles. This is his old 200K video that he's added the 300K milestone onto the end of.

[video=youtube;gIHz-U_73BE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHz-U_73BE[/video]

My beloved 2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i rolling over the odometer for the 3rd time now, making it a wholesome 300,000 miles, and still going strong. Engine has not been rebuilt, internals are still original. Original pistons, rings, rods, bearings, valves, etc. Still original clutch as well

He did have problems with the shift forks and dogs wearing a couple years ago after more than 200,000 miles, so he swapped in a transmission from a crashed 919 - which drops right in and is even sturdier. He even takes it to track days.

Buy a Honda and take care of it. It will take care of you.

Last edited:
In other news, remember the guy with the 2004 CBR600F4i that racked up 200,000 miles?

Yeah, he just got it over 300,000 miles. This is his old 200K video that he's added the 300K milestone onto the end of.

[video=youtube;gIHz-U_73BE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHz-U_73BE[/video]

He did have problems with the shift forks and dogs wearing a couple years ago after more than 200,000 miles, so he swapped in a transmission from a crashed 919 - which drops right in and is even sturdier. He even takes it to track days.

Buy a Honda and take care of it. It will take care of you.

:blink:

And people look at me funny when I tell them "Yes, motorcycle engines can last as much as car engines. They don't all need a rebuild after 60,000miles!"

I've passed my riding exam today (first try). Well, I didn't make it very well, but the examiner told it was enough. I'm soooo happy. :D

I've passed my riding exam today (first try). Well, I didn't make it very well, but the examiner told it was enough. I'm soooo happy. :D
Congrats!
Now go buy a beater and some riding gear. :D

Whoa.
Nice!

I wouldn't. For one, please don't be that squid (sailor, not biker) and for another I'm not sure if that will be looked at nicely by whatever command you're at. Maybe you could get away with it in dress blues AND one of those stupid high vis vests they make military folks wear these days.
Oh yeah. No fucking way I'm doing it. Should've put that in the last post. Even if I could get away with it I wouldn't want to risk ruining a set of blues.

Congrats man. And passing is passing. :lol: