The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Someone needs to point out to Harley that you can have technological innovation without sacrificing "heritage".
Nah, Harley made the choice to keep their tech dated decades ago. Keep building the same shit, keep marketing it to schmucks.

Really though, I'm not a big cruiser fan but I do want to support American companies. I'll buy Victory or Indian long before I buy a HD.

I actually got a marketing call from Indian yesterday (I signed up last year when I did the demo ride I guess). I told them I'll be buying when they make an Indian with mid-controls.
I got a short demo ride on a scout and damn it was nice. If they offer mid controls, a dirt tracker style seat and bars factory? Shit I'll buy a brand new one. Fuck my wallet.

Yep, HD sold that unbalanced engine sound for decades and now they're stuck with it.

@Redliner: well duh mind controls would be superior, but then I'd have nowhere to put my feet. But I guess if have mind controls, I assume I can levitate :lol:

I got a short demo ride on a scout and damn it was nice. If they offer mid controls, a dirt tracker style seat and bars factory? Shit I'll buy a brand new one. Fuck my wallet.

Yuuuuup. It wouldn't hurt if they gave it another 40 hp and racier suspension. :D

I found out this exists.

Honda_PC_800.jpg

It's the '80s on a bike, it has a dash from a Civic. I must find it, import it, use it as my first bike, cry buckets if I drop it or someone scratches it. It's amazing, how come nobody tells me this things!

Last edited:
I found out this exists.

Honda_PC_800.jpg

It's the '80s on a bike, it has a dash from a Civic. I must find it, import it, use it as my first bike, cry buckets if I drop it or someone scratches it. It's amazing, how come nobody tells me this things!

Yeah, that's the Pacific Coast aka PC800. It's been discussed here before. Closest thing to it on the NA market in recent years was the Honda NT700V. They're a bit unusual but not terribly hard to find.

Still not a great bike to start on, though.

*googles NT700V* That doesn't look nearly as '80s, but I guess the concept is similar...if less appealing because, like I said, doesn't look '80s.

According to Wiki the PC800 was outfitted as a "low-maintenance motorcycle for daily use" aimed primarily toward first-time motorcycle owners.. Then again, wiki is sometimes wrong and there's plenty 125's to go around to learn. Out of curiousity, why is it? Heavy? the fairings? It's too awesome?

Last edited:
*googles NT700V* That doesn't look nearly as '80s, but I guess the concept is similar...if less appealing because, like I said, doesn't look '80s.

According to Wiki the PC800 was outfitted as a "low-maintenance motorcycle for daily use" aimed primarily toward first-time motorcycle owners.. Then again, wiki is sometimes wrong and there's plenty 125's to go around to learn. Out of curiousity, why is it? Heavy? the fairings? It's too awesome?

It's not lightweight (almost 600 lbs), it's more top heavy than ideal for a beginner and the plastics are now *very* expensive to replace, despite there being built in fairing protectors stub wings. Learn to ride first, then get one - and yes, that means something small, light and disposable.

What Wiki doesn't mention was that the first-time motorcycle owners were considered to have been riding *scooters* beforehand... :p

I wanted one for years and even took a test ride or few. I think it would be a great bike for day trips across the state, or even a weekend touring bike(at least for me). But they are now getting like the cars I would really love to get, climbing in price because they are either rare, or everyone else found out about them from the internets(also ebay effect). And the ones I can afford need a ton of repairs to the most expensive parts (body).

I would still like one, but I think I will just go with a Goldwing instead.

Well, there's also the third of the late 80s/early 90s Honda tourers that all had a broadly similar 'car replacement' theme, were swathed in plastic and came with automotive-like dashboards, the ST1100. That's worth considering as the step between the PC800 and the GL1500.

The smallest (and ironically longest/most produced by a huge margin) member of the three was the Honda Helix superscooter.
2926.jpg

This was its dashboard:

honda__helix_1996_4_lgw.jpg

The next step up was the PC800 Pacific Coast, of course, and that's been long discussed here.

Lastly there's the ST1100 Pan European, which took the sport tourer category away from BMW.
2013-12-09211632_zpsab9486ce.jpg

2013-12-09211638_zpsfc86b885.jpg

Its dashboard:
2000_Honda_St1100_Abs_14934446.jpg

And then there's the next generation of the ST-series, the ST1300:

bgLWu5m.jpg

YaR5yXi.jpg

I found out this exists.

I just found about those a few months ago myself and I became obsessed for a few days. It is so gloriously 80's!
They are basically mini-Goldwings and over on the ADV forum they have a reputation of just not dying with minimum maintenance. I could see my self owning one, it is odd and I love odd.

Yeah, that's the Pacific Coast aka PC800. It's been discussed here before. Closest thing to it on the NA market in recent years was the Honda NT700V. They're a bit unusual but not terribly hard to find.

Still not a great bike to start on, though.

After my Piaggio went up in flames my co-worker suggested an NT-700V as a replacement. I liked it but I liked the NC700X better.

Well, there's also the third of the late 80s/early 90s Honda tourers that all had a broadly similar 'car replacement' theme, were swathed in plastic and came with automotive-like dashboards, the ST1100. That's worth considering as the step between the PC800 and the GL1500.

The smallest (and ironically longest/most produced by a huge margin) member of the three was the Honda Helix superscooter.

That same co-worker had a beat up Helix for the longest time. I thought it was the most ugly thing I've ever seen and he used to brag about it's MPG's and how practical it was. He sold it six months ago for more than he paid for it and got a Yamaha Warrior and an FJR...

I thought you needed to be old, mean, and have a big belly to get in the way to ride an ST1300. After all, anyone who doesn't ride a sport bike or a super moto is a chump who just can't handle it.

I wouldn't like to have an ST1300. Far too huge for the use I'd give a bike (move about in the city and literally nothing else) but what I do like is the dash, especially that LCD screen...I think I'm right in saying the VFR has it aswell.

00101_dash.jpg

meanwhile, in my skill and price bracket.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yuuuuup. It wouldn't hurt if they gave it another 40 hp and racier suspension. :D
Personally I'd be happy with a Scout, standard seat, mid-controls and dirty bars. But I think Victory is brewing up something meaner. And ballpark what you're talking about. I'm on my phone so I'm not gonna dig up a link. But iirc they've been playing with what they learned from the pikes peak bike.

Last edited:
Here is some footage from my supermoto track day. Got some live race footage chasing a CR125 2-stroke and some 2rd party footage. Had a great time, and cant wait to go back.

And then there's the next generation of the ST-series, the ST1300:

bgLWu5m.jpg

How are those for 2-up? I'm asking because I thought my V-Strom would be ideal for 2-up, its got the ergos but it's kinda underpowered for pillions.

Then again I'm not exactly a featherweight.

So apparently my apartment seems to hire someone to install wet leaves in front of the garage entrance. The trees are bear, but they appear every morning.

I've had Kiki riding pillion with no problems at all, the bike has ample torque and hp to get up and get going, even with two people plus baggage.