The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Oh hi.

I've still got the Ninja, for better or for worse. Most recently I seem to have misplaced the last few thousand RPM, though…

it's good to be back!

I have Moto news too. My VFR left me stranded on the way home from campus last week, out of nowhere while flicking the high beams on the 'FI' light came on and the engine slowed down to a halt.

Fortunately, it was an easy fix. The main fuse had blown because the PO put in a 20A fuse rather than the spec'd 30A fuse. I largely suspect he did this due to his Alternator/Regulator issues melting wires due to other poor band-aid fixes. I'm surprised the fuse hadn't gone out sooner to be honest.

At least he put in a weaker fuse rather than shorting the socket.

My brother bought one and it's an impressive bike. If the VFR was ever run over by a garbage truck, I would strongly consider getting one as an all-arounder.

You liked The POWER? :p

The power, agility (feels ridiculously light when moving), and dat sweet, sweet comfort. It's such a nice package!

My brother bought one and it's an impressive bike. If the VFR was ever run over by a garbage truck, I would strongly consider getting one as an all-arounder.

I can see that. I really want one now.

Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha

It's what my friend calls "The Steamroller Question" - if the vehicle I have now were to be run over by a steam roller, what would I replace it with? It doesn't mean I'm planning on replacing it, or getting rid of my current vehicle, but it's an interesting question to entertain.

It's what my friend calls "The Steamroller Question" - if the vehicle I have now were to be run over by a steam roller, what would I replace it with? It doesn't mean I'm planning on replacing it, or getting rid of my current vehicle, but it's an interesting question to entertain.
Wait. You mean people don't just do that?

Three day's mourning and a 4.0-liter Frontier (EDIT: Barring immediate location and securing of a red D21 SE-V6 King Cab in good condition.)
Older Lexus RX300h
Black Honda Accord hybrid.

Last edited:
That is a fun question.

Multi -> probably an early R1150RT and a Stelvio

919 -> early Tuono or Griso

VFR -> probably a nicer 5th gen with less than a billion miles. Maybe an R1 for muh crossplane.

Well, uhh, I guess I already answered that for the bike?

(I'd also replace the BRZ with another BRZ, because I'm boring and the car isn't.)

XTerra - FJ100 or Lexus GX
VFR800 - The field is wide open on this because I wouldn't try to replace it with a similar machine, it would just disappoint me. I would look at the FJ-09, the Ducati Monster, Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, or Honda CB1100 for city bikes, a tipped 600cc for a few grand as a track bike, or make the leap to dirty bikes.
ST1300 - Ducati Multistrada 1200 or maybe a KTM 1290

This needs it's own thread.

I think I'd buy another Tenere for sure. I'd also probably buy another Griso, though I'd be strongly tempted by something like the Ducati Monster 1200.

Does anyone here roll with a top case primarily for helmet+glove storage on a daily basis? The "luggage" issue is kinda real with motorcycling, and I've been wishing I could at least leave those two with the bike, and I can deal with the jacket with/on me.

I'm super nervous about leaving the helmet and gloves exposed, even if i locked them to the bike, lest I find some insects inside when I get back.

On that same note, are there any tail bags that could do the trick (that also don't suck)? They'd obviously have to be pretty well sealed and lockable both to the bike and for the large compartment.

The ST1300 has built-in side cases that fit my helmet and gloves, my jacket can go in the other side. On the VFR, I just carry my stuff with me, I'm not leaving a $1000 carbon fiber helmet hanging off the side of the bike if I have a choice. In terms of cases, I would look at factory accessories, they often have the best look that goes with your bike. I plan to put a Givi case on the VFR this year so Kiki has more storage for touring (that means less crap I have to mule on the ST1300).

That's a good point. Since I should be an FJ-09 owner in about a month, that probably means the Yamaha 39L Top Case (on the FJ-09 Rear Rack/Top Case Mount).

I'm less into side cases since I want to keep as much splitting/filtering ability as possible. It's an integral part of riding in California, and the little Ninja has me super spoiled with its (lack of) size.

IIRC Yamaha doesn't key match bags, so is there any reason to go with this over a more generic Givi solution, for example?

Nope, that just looks like a branded Givi, get whichever one is cheaper.