The GNU/Linux thread

PacketCollision

Server Admin/Crasher
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
generator on wheels
I accidentally deleted my Windows install when installing the new 11.04 alpha, so my laptop is Linux only until I either manage to beat OS X into submission or give up and install Windows 7 for Quartus (Linux version is missing required features). I must say, I really like the new Unity UI. It's not quite as nice as OS X with Alfred as a quick-launcher, but it's pretty close. It is so nice to be back to a unified menubar, although I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. The Dock means I don't have to run awn and gnome-do, and it seems to be both fast and basically user-friendly.

It feels so good to be back on an OS with a proper terminal. I kept getting annoyed at Windows for that reason, and it meant that I was just doing much of my work on a server over ssh.

Last edited:

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Have you tried out Gnome3 already? Right now i am too busy actually using my laptop to play with my UI (and given the state of things at Canonical, i can't see Unity coming to debian anytime soon) but Gnome2 is not really satisfying both in the usability and the looks department.

NoNeedForAChestWig

Well I sincerely hope that http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401 is an April Fool.

But anyway, what I came to ask is, can anyone recommend a distro for installing on an old laptop (a 486...)? No CD or DVD. Net install possible, but slow, so prefer something small. No GUI is an absolute must.

Last edited:

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Thank you guys. Now i'll spend my weekend trying to install Warp in VirtualBox.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
I have an issue where if I'm watching a youtube vid (or something else on flash) and another tab or browser wants to use flash too, both of them will go blank.
I know Flash is crap, is there any way to force Youtube to run on HTML5 for example?

PacketCollision

Server Admin/Crasher
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
generator on wheels
There's a chrome extension that attempts to help force youtube to do that.

You could also try using the experimental 64-bit version of flash, if you're running a 64-bit flavor of Linux. I found that to help the last time I tried.

Last edited:

Zuhaib

Car(s)
19 BMW X3
I accidentally deleted my Windows install when installing the new 11.04 alpha, so my laptop is Linux only until I either manage to beat OS X into submission or give up and install Windows 7 for Quartus (Linux version is missing required features). I must say, I really like the new Unity UI. It's not quite as nice as OS X with Alfred as a quick-launcher, but it's pretty close. It is so nice to be back to a unified menubar, although I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. The Dock means I don't have to run awn and gnome-do, and it seems to be both fast and basically user-friendly.

It feels so good to be back on an OS with a proper terminal. I kept getting annoyed at Windows for that reason, and it meant that I was just doing much of my work on a server over ssh.
You could just buy a Mac and be done with hacking OS X to run on your PC ;)

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Opera seems to be leaking memory somewhere, I can only use it for a period of time and starts eating up my memory more and more till it tilts my system. Closing the program and reopening it clears the memory, but it's a hassle... anyone else with this problem?

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
Opera seems to be leaking memory somewhere, I can only use it for a period of time and starts eating up my memory more and more till it tilts my system. Closing the program and reopening it clears the memory, but it's a hassle... anyone else with this problem?
Nope I use Chrome :p