The GNU/Linux thread

sudo apt-get install autofs

Problem solved :)

That's like a temporary fix that's not going to stay there forever. It's probably one of those "transition" things that will go away next version or the one following that...

That's like a temporary fix that's not going to stay there forever. It's probably one of those "transition" things that will go away next version or the one following that...

What would stop you from installing gnome-desktop package or running kubuntu in the future? One of the main benefits of Linux is that no matter what the default is you can always change it to anything you want.

What would stop you from installing gnome-desktop package or running kubuntu in the future? One of the main benefits of Linux is that no matter what the default is you can always change it to anything you want.

Nothing at all, I was merely commenting I don't like the default, Unity, out of the box desktop. Anything overly wrong with that?

Nothing at all, I was merely commenting I don't like the default, Unity, out of the box desktop. Anything overly wrong with that?

No, but saying you'll stick to an outdated version cause of it does not make sense.

Nope; I don't like Unity either. Well, I might like it, but it and Gnome-shell don't work on my PC, due to fglrx bugs, apparently. All I get with them is my desktop background and icons, nothing else. :(

I started off with Ubuntu but after a year experimented with Arch Linux, then it became permanent. There's just so much more freedom with Arch, pacman is great, and the rolling release update model means I don't need to do a clean install every 6 months.

Nothing wrong with it at all. The way you made it sound was as if there would be no way to change it later and that you are pretty much saying "to hell with it" because the default UI is not to your liking. I apologize if I misconstrued your post.

started off with Ubuntu but after a year experimented with Arch Linux, then it became permanent. There's just so much more freedom with Arch, pacman is great, and the rolling release update model means I don't need to do a clean install every 6 months.
That was one of my biggest issues with it honestly. I used it for a while on my old old laptop, then I decided to put my money where my mouth is and ordered a Dell that came with it preinstalled. It was all fine and good until the next update broke the fingerprint reader and it took some Googling to get it back. The next one broke it again and promised that ability built into gnome except that it never worked. At that point I was getting a bit annoyed at the upgrade schedule that for one is entirely too quick (have to change custom stuff every 6 months if you want to keep up to date? Really?) and also kept breaking things.

I would prefer BSD style upgrades, you install BSD and then you just sync your system to latest available (or latest stable) version in the ports so you are never upgrading the entire system just specific software, which of course at some point will be the kernel and OS itself.

That was one of my biggest issues with it honestly. I used it for a while on my old old laptop, then I decided to put my money where my mouth is and ordered a Dell that came with it preinstalled. It was all fine and good until the next update broke the fingerprint reader and it took some Googling to get it back. The next one broke it again and promised that ability built into gnome except that it never worked. At that point I was getting a bit annoyed at the upgrade schedule that for one is entirely too quick (have to change custom stuff every 6 months if you want to keep up to date? Really?) and also kept breaking things.

I would prefer BSD style upgrades, you install BSD and then you just sync your system to latest available (or latest stable) version in the ports so you are never upgrading the entire system just specific software, which of course at some point will be the kernel and OS itself.
Aye. The Arch rolling release is that. You could even install from a CD-R made from 2005. Just do a
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu
and everything will be up to date, no problems.

I'm looking for a Linux Utility that lets me see the differences between 2 folders. Here is the situation: My Harddisk started to go (read erros), so I made a backup and now I want to compare my 2 week old backup with the one I just made, and see which files have been added and modified.

You could also use rsync to do automatic backups of updates

you could just use diff too.

I normally use rsync, that is what made the first backup. However, I didn't want it to overwrite the file because the timestamp is newer, only to find that it had trouble reading and I now have a corrupt file. So I'm going to work through the files one by one, won't be that many.

I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition yesterday, and I've got to say I'm really impressed, and I think it's there to stay. Since Ubuntu has gone all "Unity this, Ubuntu One that" and the overall impression has become slightly "Mac-ish" (not necessarily bad, just not my cup of tea) I was on the look for a new distribution. While I like debian, it really seams to a bit behind, even testing. I know this is mainly superficial, but it also doesn't really come preconfigured for a smooth desktop experience. This is where LMDE comes in: Based on testing, and therefore rolling release model, another plus, yet it is easy on the eyes without installing new themes and icons and whatnot, unlike Debian. It also contains Firefox 5 already.
Recommended.

I am stuck in GRUB hell.
Installed Debian yesterday and couldn?t get to the GRUB menu, but at least fixing the MBR using Windows 7?s recovery tool brought my desktop back.
Any ideas?

I am stuck in GRUB hell.
Installed Debian yesterday and couldn?t get to the GRUB menu, but at least fixing the MBR using Windows 7?s recovery tool brought my desktop back.
Any ideas?
Get a ubuntu CD. If you installed debian amd64, get that one, otherwise get the i286 one. The architectures have to match.

Mount your system partition.
Use mount --bind to mirror the /proc /sys and /dev-directories of ubuntu into the system partition.

Use chroot /your/system/partiton to get work as if you booted from the harddisk.

do grub_install /dev/sda

Report back with errors.