The Grand Tour

I wonder how much Sony paid for that ad?

MCYMtIE.png

James looks likes a raccoon with his sun burn. :lol:

I guess they will not be allowed to call Jeremy an orangutan anymore either.
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Actually that's just Richards stash, Jeremys tires are coming tomorrow on a convoy of 56 articulated lorries, this might be enough for the first episode....

Actually that's just Richards stash, Jeremys tires are coming tomorrow on a convoy of 56 articulated lorries, this might be enough for the first episode....

They"ll just film it at the Pirelli / Michelin / whomever factory so they can keep rolling out new sets as needed.

So we're now coming up on the middle of autumn - any details as to when the first series will be airing?

Wiki just says "in the latter half of 2016 (circa September?December)", and that studio segments will continue to be filmed up to December 2016. (Is it still only in Jo'burg that a studio episode has been shot?)

Appreciate there's more of autumn to come (and other countries have different autumns) - but would have expected something more solid at this stage!

Also, how can you watch this? Amazon Video seems to be in a very restricted set of countries. I presume an online free stream is out of the question. Probably there'll be box sets released at least?

I thought the US one was already filmed

The U.S. filming is on September 25th. Autumn begins on September 22 (or 23), at least in the U.S. I've always had the feeling the show will start airing in October. We've waited this long, we can wait a few more weeks.

Autumn begins on 1st August in Ireland (hence my impatience :) ), but probably more importantly, on 1st September in England - and given they're referring to it as "autumn" in the first place, I presume they're not talking American dates (or they'd say "fall")

I guess the studio bits are quick to put together, and then you finalise the episode in a couple more days at most. But just slightly strange that there's still so few details.

I think Autumn begins around 22 of September in all of the North Hemisphere, it has something to do with the inclination of the earth, regardless the country you are in

I think Autumn begins around 22 of September in all of the North Hemisphere, it has something to do with the inclination of the earth, regardless the country you are in
And rounded up and down to the beginning of the month by retailers, fashion, media, etc. who can't be bothered with accuracy or its astronomical origins <_<

I think America (maybe Canada too) is the only country where autumn (no capital A!) is deemed to begin on 22nd/23rd September. The rest of us think ye're a bit weird for doing that. :)

stiggie has it right - the equinox (and the solstice) mark the midpoint of the seasons - hence why Midsummer festivals are in and around the 21st of June.

The differences come down to when you define the seasons - which are purely arbitrary to start with. If you define, say, summer as the hottest three months of the year, this I think does tend to be from 23rd June to 23rd September in general.

But if you define summer as the three months with the most daylight, then that's the three months with the solstice in the middle (i.e. May/June/July). Christmas is on the 25th December because it took over from an old pagan festival celebrating the passing of the mid-point of winter - 21st December - after which the light starts to come back and you could start to see the shift back to the easier life of spring/summer.

I don't know why Europe then changed summer to be June/July/August, leaving Ireland on its own as having summer in May/June/July, but there you go. The Irish for September is Me?n F?mhar - literally "The middle of autumn", and the Irish for October is "Deireadh Fomh?r" - literally "The end of autumn". The four main pagan Irish festivals also celebrate the new seasons - Bealtaine on 1st May (first day of summer), L?ghnasa on 1st August (first day of autumn), Samhain on 1st November (first day of winter - this morphed into Hallowe'en) and Imbolc on 1st February (first day of spring - which the Catholic Church turned into the feast of St Brigid, which it still is, meaning that Imbolc is very much the forgotten pagan festival)

None of which helps explain when CHM are back on the screen though. :)

Last edited:
Here in Norway, the definition of autumn is when the average temperature during one day is between 0 and 10 degrees Celsius, and the trend is falling.
This means autumn in the southern parts isn't until early October, while in the northern parts autumn may start in early to middle August.

Last edited:
Only if you can connect to a non-DRM device to record to it.