The Grand Unified Top Gear Australia Audition Video Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll start with my own...

The aim behind mine was to review my car in a similar style to the show...so I studied some episodes closely...I've watched every single episode at least 3 or 4 times anyway, but I never really studied it. So I did that and took note of a few things, came up with a script and put it together.

I think I missed the point though...while the people I showed the video to thought it was entertaining, it didn't really show much of "me", my personality, my passion for cars, my knowledge etc. It was more a review of the car.

It sounds like from one of Stiggies comments that Freehand liked ones that didn't try to be a mini episode. Having said all this, I'm not sure how well I would have gone if I just stood there and talked about myself for 10 minutes either...

But yeah, it was fun to do...always wanted to do a review so I have the video and although I cringe when watching it, I'm pretty happy with the result.

PS: How much does Brian Gillette and Ben Prentagaust sh/t you?!?! hehe...

Done and dusted chaps.

I read on Stiggies forum they'll start camera testing on Monday.

I called Freehand. All done, all sold. They called who they're going to call.

The fat lady has sung.

I was going to post that info here, but I'd have had to do it from my mobile and I don't actually remember my password. :oops:

Ben P is alright. I could watch him. Brian ... hmm ... the whole Shannon Noll-Steve Irwin mashup was just ... arrgh! I wanted to throw my laptop out the window after about a minute of watching it.

I think where I fell down is that I tried to slow myself down, and that at normal speed I'd be almost unintelligible, so I don't think I was a geniune contender. By slowing myself down, I appeared to inadvertantly release my inner Clarkson. I had a painful moment of self-realisation whilst watching the Citroen Berlingo review from 1x01 the other night. Jezza looked and sounded almost as awkward as I did in my TGA Audition video, and I can see now why some folks believe I was too heavily influenced by Clarkson ... which isn't what Freehand is after. It certainly wasn't the aim of the exercise. Interestingly enough, in other parts of the video (not seen by the public), I was quite natural. Maybe that's what turned Freehand off. Either that, or someone at Freehand drives a BMW and took exception to my career advice to Chris Bangle ... :D

However, I'll reiterate that I got some people to laugh and pissed a few people off, which is reward enough for me. ;) So much so that there may be future projects from the House of Tone that will go straight to YouTube.

And timhet: you did a great job. As did the rest of the guys here. If Freehand did ignore the mini-episodes, then they may have done themselves a disservice, as some of the best performances on YouTube came from the mini-episodes.

Last edited:
<snip>

Brian Gillett started out like he was introducing WWF Smackdown.

The worst for me though was the guy who test drove the old Volvo (post #14 here). He kept talking (with some glee) about how a Volvo driver may be killed. Poor taste and an unoriginal, overworked, 30-year old stereotype.

I could roshambo Brian Gillet for the rest of his life and it wouldn't be enough ... and I'd use that KNOB, who designs toasters, as a shoe.

But there is no person more deserving of a swift kick to the nuts than Frank Giammarino ... melbourne residents suffer from a high level of intimidation and abuse from other melbourne drivers ... and this is exemplified by 4WD owners ... Franky G and his turbo territory which he drives around with reckless abandonment makes me physically sick ... why you need such a big vehicle, to go so fast and why you need to drive it like a complete tool ... is not only anti social, but domestic terrorism ...

In closing, congratulations to those who made it through the interview stage (you know who you are) ... TimHet ...

Last edited:
The worst for me though was the guy who test drove the old Volvo (post #14 here). He kept talking (with some glee) about how a Volvo driver may be killed. Poor taste and an unoriginal, overworked, 30-year old stereotype.

The best bit with that bloke are the allegations that he gave every other TGA Audition video on YouTube just one star, irrespective of how good (or bad) the video was. Even the videos that were close to perfection (such as scotth_uk's epic mini episode and videowilliams tribute to the death of commonsense in the NT) were allegedly given one star ratings by this chap. <_<

But yeah ... Volvo Bloke left me cold. He couldn't even get basic facts right - the Volvo 240 didn't go into production until 1974, yet he claimed that the Volvo he was driving was a 1973 model! Of course, anyone that knows even a little about Volvos can tell you that the model he was driving was from the late 1980s as evidenced by the 240 badge on it. Early 240s were badged 244/245 depending on whether it was a sedan or a wagon (the last number denoting how many doors said Volvo has). I dunno if he was trying to be funny, but it just reeked of laziness.

Not that my humour was much more highbrow, but I at least tried for a little authenticity ...

I think all the videos on you tube were shit house -

I think someone's just upset that they didn't get a call back. :p

The best bit with that bloke are the allegations that he gave every other TGA Audition video on YouTube just one star, irrespective of how good (or bad) the video was. Even the videos that were close to perfection (such as scotth_uk's epic mini episode and videowilliams tribute to the death of commonsense in the NT) were allegedly given one star ratings by this chap. <_<

That's right .. I forgot that was him. I had a bit of a chuckle at his YouTube channel, which displayed his recent ratings .... a string of 1 stars to TGA audition vids. :lol:

But yeah ... Volvo Bloke left me cold. He couldn't even get basic facts right - the Volvo 240 didn't go into production until 1974, yet he claimed that the Volvo he was driving was a 1973 model! Of course, anyone that knows even a little about Volvos can tell you that the model he was driving was from the late 1980s as evidenced by the 240 badge on it. Early 240s were badged 244/245 depending on whether it was a sedan or a wagon (the last number denoting how many doors said Volvo has). I dunno if he was trying to be funny, but it just reeked of laziness.
<snip>

Yeah, I know SFA about Volvos (apart from the story that the first one rolled off the production line with the gearbox installed backwards ... it had 1 forward and 3 reverse gears :)), but he seemed to refer to the car at one point as a 1974 model and at another as a 1984 model ..... maybe he was reviving the gag from the Top Gear Russian Roulette road test segment (?).

In closing, congratulations to those who made it through the interview stage (you know who you are) ... TimHet ...

nah, I didn't get an interview or anything.

I'm guessing when Freehand said they were weeks away, maybe they meant weeks away from finalising the 3 actual hosts, as opposed to finalising a short list...

i think my problem was that i made mine into a 'Late Show' Sketch, so 30 second gags, move along. Was lacking a bit of real depth. Plus im 20, so i knew it was going to be an uphill battle. Plus i went nude, nobody should have to be subjected to that.
On other news, the mate of mine who owns the 121 i did i it on (its not mine! GASP) traded it in the other day........... got $200 for it.

I thought Brian Gillet was alright, he gave it a decent crack. But what pissed me off were all the half arsed attempts of someone infront on the camera 'My name is 'X' cars are good, they go fast', rubbish like that. I really commend everyone who had a go, but i can only wonder what they were thinking when they posted in their crap entries, and what Freehand thought when they watched them.

I should have my video up from the press day at the Melbourne Motorshow up soon, In Pit Lane on Channel 31 is starting up again for 2008 so if you live in Melbourne check it out. So now we just wait for Channel 7 to announce 'Australian Fifth Gear'....... you heard it hear first

Last edited:
TimHet ... you lie ... that whole Mumsy thing was gold, pure gold ...

It will be interesting to see what challenges Tg OZ go with ... I wonder if we'll see a trend ... all those people who got the call back, none of their challenge ideas will get done ... all those people who got NOTHING, all their challenge ideas will get done ...

In the end, we know it was just some rich bastard ringing up Freehandjob and offering them $millions, so their son ... rich jimmy ... could be a host ... how could SBS say no ...

It will be interesting if they end up with clones of the British show. I know they said that was not what they wanted, but whenever they do an Australia version of a show, it always has similar hosts to the american one. Just look at Idol, Dancing with the stars etc, so u think u can dance, queer eye...not that I watch any of those shows!!

clarkson's undies, did u have a clip...if so, which one was it?

i think my problem was that i made mine into a 'Late Show' Sketch, so 30 second gags,

Probably my favorite moment from your clip was when you compared a piece of bread to the Mazda 121...it was very Top Gear eske...almost a p/ss take at what Clarkson does...

Hahahah sour grapes my arse ... I'm a realist ... now what I want is for the remaining 3997 people who didn't get to host topr gear oz to send their applications into the casting directors at channel 7, 9, 10, and the ABC ... hell, why not ...

And yes I did make a video ... its called ... "skid marks" ... and it features myself and three cars ... if you can guess which cars ... then I will post my affrontery upon the tube of yous for you all to laugh at ...

And yes I did make a video ... its called ... "skid marks" ... and it features myself and three cars ... if you can guess which cars ... then I will post my affrontery upon the tube of yous for you all to laugh at ...

A WRX, a TS Astra and an old Mazda 121?

I don't want to make people feel worse but the friend of my forum member (snowman) who made it through to stage 3 simply filmed himself and snowman sitting with a couple of beers talking about cars and answering the application questions.

I don't want to make people feel worse but the friend of my forum member (snowman) who made it through to stage 3 simply filmed himself and snowman sitting with a couple of beers talking about cars and answering the application questions.

That makes so much more sense now...similar to way the British presenters discuss their cars over a pint...great idea!

I guess you live and learn...this is not the first time I went all out but didn't answer the question. I did the same thing on my high school English exam...I guess I'll know for the 5th Gear auditions... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.