The Grand Unified Top Gear Australia Audition Video Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courier Mail Reported - 18000 forms downloaded from SBS site with just over 1000 entries received so far. That was in the Sunday Mail 27th Jan 08.

I'm waiting until the end of the month before I figure that it's all over. Then I can tell you all what I really thought of some of the videos ... :twisted:

Stuff it Tone, unload now......

Courier Mail Reported - 18000 forms downloaded from SBS site with just over 1000 entries received so far. That was in the Sunday Mail 27th Jan 08.

I was giving it til the 20th before i pulled up stumps and regular broadcasting resumed. But 1000 entries well before the cut off date........ dunno might have to reconsider that.

Hmm... that would be a nice gesture. Strange thing is, I don't recall there being a place on the application form to give one's email address: only the snailmail. Guess I missed something!

It wasn't on the form, but there was a bit of an afterthought tacked onto the website asking that TGA Audition entrants put their email address and phone number onto the form somewhere. I forget where I read it, but it was in quite small print.

You never know, you might be snailmailed a couple of tickets. :D

Stuff it Tone, unload now......

Don't panic, you're definitely safe. ;) (so is everyone else that has popped up on FG, oddly enough...).

But yeah, I was quite - erm - diplomatic with my commentary. I'm sure if you reread some of my comments again, you'll get a feel for which ones I liked and which ones ... not so much.

TOP GEAR - AUSTRALIA

Applications for Top Gear Australia hosts have now closed. SBS would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who got out their video cameras, and of course those of you who helped your friend or family member to apply, for your overwhelming and extremely entertaining applications.

The length entrants went to were extraordinary and applications, almost 4,000 of them, were funny, clever, imaginative and as requested, quintessentially Australian. Who knew the country had such an extraordinary pool of unearthed talent and we look forward to casting the new hosts of Top Gear Australia.

Almost 4,000 applications, eh? I'm feeling a little more confident now. Not much, but it's a start.

I honestly can't remember if the email addy was on the form, but I just filled out the basic form. I received an email saying they received it...so I'm assuming there was a section for email...in fact, I'll check now to see if the form is still up...1 sec...actually, didn't find the form, but the SBS site says there were 4000 entrants...

woah! I was thinking 1000...with 3 positions, the odds were 1 in 333, but with 4000, the odds are not so good....

Oh I don't know ... 4000 entires minus "mister free ninety free" ... 3999 ... and that SPANKER who "design's garbage trucks" ... mate I've seen the movie Men at Work ... garbage trucks, are garbage ... so thats 3998 ... looking good ... and ... theres actually 4 positions ... including the Stig ... so the ratio is 1 a bit less than 1000 ...

So you can conclude that 1) your video probably got a decent look at and 2) what ever the out come, you did your best ...

Unlike that wound up prat Ben Prenderghastly ... who in my mind personefies WRX owners and operators ... MORONS

And anyone who spent a whole wad of cash on making a professional audition tape, this message goes out to you ... "your a KNOB" ...

[Edited, as it didn't make much sense this morning:]

There were actually two versions of the application form:

1) The SBS version - a .PDF file available for download, not editable.
2) The Freehand version - a .DOC file available for download, which could be edited.

I was confused, so I called Freehand - they advised that the SBS version was the required version. I ended up extending the Freehand one to look like the SBS one, and typed in all of my details.

And anyone who spent a whole wad of cash on making a professional audition tape

Can't say I noticed many of those? Any one in particular?

Last edited:
Less Is More

Less Is More

Unlike that wound up prat Ben Prenderghastly ... who in my mind personefies WRX owners and operators ... MORONS

I thought his only sin was a bit of overwriting... plus of course failing to drive an Australian car!

(ducking brickbats from you drivers of fancy imports)

1) The SBS version - a .PDF file available for download, not editable.

It was editable, with the right software. ;)

(that's the form I submitted, and I used a PDF editor on it ... worked a treat!)

It was editable, with the right software. ;)

Too true. I'll change my statement to "not easily editable, required fancy schmancy tools" :)

Any thoughts on the guy who did the review of the BMW hydrogen car ... I thought it was a bit, no, quite unoriginal ... any way its all moot now ... the short list is out ...

Last edited:
As for Ben P ... I think he did well to counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the, of the, of the ... boganity ... of what ever the hell his video was about ... meaning ... he just wants to be loved.

I thought his only sin was a bit of overwriting... plus of course failing to drive an Australian car!

(ducking brickbats from you drivers of fancy imports)

You're obviously referring to Tone76's Belgian built Astra :p

Buying Australian

Buying Australian

You're obviously referring to Tone76's Belgian built Astra :p

In a globalised world, it does get hard to say what car's built where... :unsure:...but in buying a new car, I'd rather feed and clothe some bloke in Melbourne or Adelaide than some gastarbeiter in Munich, or Nagoya. Which is why I bought my Commodore, instead of, say, some natty imported hatch.

When I lived in the USA, I drove a US-built Mustang GT. And if I lived in Germany, I'd feel just fine about buying a Beemer M3 like yours! "Support the carmakers where you live", I guess, is my motto.

Last edited:
Supporting Local

Supporting Local

If people didn't buy imported cars, there would be no local car industry.

Sounds stupid, but if I didn't fork out $60,000 in government taxes on my M3, there would be $60,000 less for the government to subsidize the local automobile manufacturing industry with .... and without subsidization they (the foreigners who own our car factories) would all piss off quicker than Mitsubishi has.

It's sad to say, but there has only been one Australian car I would have considered buying in the last 25 years and that's the Monaro and they have stopped making it. I like 2 door cars, therefore I have to look at imports. The Aussie motor industry doesn't cater to my tastes and I will not (directly) support it until it does. To do so would only encourage it to continue in it's torpor.

As things stand, these multinationals posing as Aussie are ripping us off anyway. GM charges us at least 50% more for the same car/specs as they do buyers in America. Aussie tax payers and motorists are actually subsidizing the price of automobiles on the US market. That stinks <_<

If I was on Aussie Top Gear, I wouldn't review a single Australian made car. If the local manufacturers complained, I would tell them to make a car worth reviewing ... they need a bloody good kick up the arse in my book.

Last edited:
Points Taken

Points Taken

That's a shame about Mitsubishi- I just looked up their final factory closure announcement. (Must admit, I never looked at buying one either- front wheel drive, yecch!) I understand your only wanting a Monaro out of anything that's been built here: on my TGA application, I listed "HSV Monaro GTO" as the car of my dreams. And I can see your other points.

Except that bit about not reviewing any Aussie-made cars at all. Wouldn't that kill the point of having a Top Gear Australia?

Its a sad sad situation ... and let me tell you why ... the melbourne motor show is coming up soon and if you get the chance to go, you'll see countless Holden and Ford employees running around taking photos of the european cars, in minute detail ... and then they run back to the office and PLAGARISE those design and present them as their own in our locally made commodores and falcons etc ... its pathetic, there is no ingenuity in the designers of australia current cars ... HELL ... they're rolling out old names ... MONARO, TORANA etc of course BMW are doing it too ... MINI , but don't get me started on THAT ... its a sad sad situation ...

(breathe)

what's wrong with bmw re-birthing the mini brand name, fair enough if bmw had failed but its a popular car and its brilliant as well, so its not a sad sad situation ( i do own one so it a bit one sided) but it is the same with the Monaro, it was a great idea and was popular or else it wouldn't sale and be the success it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.